Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in sod (Midiron, a sterile Bermuda hybrid) late in the season in 2003 when I bought my new house. It did well for the abreviated season and I over seaded with Rye for the winter.

The Rye has been trouble-free. The Midiron has had some trouble with shade on the NE side of my 2-story and between the house and the 8-ft block fense on the NW side where the yard narrows from about 30 ft to 20 ft. Still it looked pretty good the summer of '04.

I moved to Portland, OR for a work assignment in the summer of '04 and returned in June. I had a defective valve and told the guy watching my house to just turn the water off in May and I fixed the valve in June. The lawn came in spotty and took a lot of water, fertilizer, gypsum and ironite to fill in and green. It is just starting to look really good now in early August.

I'm afraid the late water had taken its toll. Do you think my rye roots are alive or should I seed again tis year?

Any recomendation for shade tolorance for the summer of of '06? I shrunk the bare area by increasing the water, but there are several feet near the house that will just not grow due to all-day shade. Is there another Bermuda that will match the color of the Midiron that is more shade tolorant and will not take over? I love the rick color, robustness, and pet tolorance of the midiron.

I want to get some shade trees estalished rather quickly. I put in a white pine on the SW side of the house in the fall of '03 and it froze during a freak winter frost. I'm thinking of putting in a couple Laylands to get some shade established fast. One on the south west side to shade a garden and bay window and one in the north corner of the yard where we will be putting in a fountain and bench.

Mike

·
5,042 Posts
I think you should get the guys in to do it all with blacktop; you're spending WAY too much time on gardening!!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,120 Posts
The Bermuda we use in the southwest needs sun!! They do poorly in shaded areas. I recommend you contact your local county extension office, if you really enjoy horticulture take the master gardener’s class. I have had great results by aerating my Bermuda several times through the growing season.

·
343 Posts
Mike I heard you have to overseed the Rye every winter. Not sure as ours came overseeded last year. We will see this winter.
Let's see winter in Mesa. Is that an oxymoron?

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by 2savage:
I think you should get the guys in to do it all with blacktop; you're spending WAY too much time on gardening!!
Funny you should mention that! We are planning to do the entire NE side of the house from the lawn to the RV gate in green concrete for extra parking. We are going to widen the front driveway as much as allowed and extend it to the RV gate as well (conventional color concrete).

This will allow us more room to move vehicles in and out of the two garages (one front entry at the end of the drive and one side entry along the side of the garage) as well as get extra vehicles/trailers into the side yard.

My dad cam in his RV last year for a couple weeks, we got a ton of rain and he got bogged down in the mud the day he left. He ended up digging ruts all the way out to the drive, tearing out my drip irregation lines and cracking the drive where he stepped up on it.

Mike

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by charles roybal:
The Bermuda we use in the southwest needs sun!! They do poorly in shaded areas. I recommend you contact your local county extension office, if you really enjoy horticulture take the master gardener’s class. I have had great results by aerating my Bermuda several times through the growing season.
I've been thinking about areation. It grows a bit faster and greener over the areas that were trenched for the PVC. I'm a big strong guy but I was only able to operate the trencher at about 1/3 rate and my first one threw a chain after about 60 feet and the other had a very slack chain when I returned it. The soil out in Maricopa is just brutal.

Mike

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,120 Posts
Aerator machines don’t beat up like a trencher…just make sure your PVC is buried deep enough so the aerator dose not punch holes in your line.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts