Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was curious to hear from owners of recently delivered bodies (MK II in last 2 mos or so) regarding parting lines, quality, etc. Anyone received a "seamless" body?

·
Senior Charter Member
512 Posts
I just recieved mine last Saturday. Parting lines are 1/16"x1/16" you can get any better than that. I personally don't see the point in a the "seamless" body. From what I've heard is all they do is grind off the parting line and shoot gel coat over it. If they do that, I doubt if they do much to remove the mold release which is now under the new gel coat. (I could and hopfully am wrong). But you have to sand that area anyways. There's still alot of filling and fairing to make the body straight.
I'm more than pleased with the body I recieved. It's tons better than I expected.

Mike

·
Registered
810 Posts
Mine was a $1000 discount car. The parting lines are minimal. There was a small misalignment in 2 panels but some Rage Gold should make them even. Pictures can be seen in the "First Steps" post in the Ask Street Rod Painter section.

If the quality of the body is the only thing stopping you from ordering a Factory Five, I suggest you call (508) 291-3443 at 9 AM (EDST) tomorrow morning and talk to Kerri. She'll initiate the paperwork to get your kit built and shipped to you. Shipping? Can't beat Stewart Transport.

·
Senior Charter Member
512 Posts
Mine is also a $1000 off car. only 2 back orders.

·
590 Posts
I got mine Friday and it was a $1000 off kit. I am very impressed with the body and the total kit.

The parting line is 1/16 to 1/8 and panel alignment looks very good. Most of the body will require little blocking to get perfect.

Walter.

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
When the body change came around we got the prototype, as in the first of the new process but still the old molds. We have it painted now BLACK,yes BLACK, it is awesome. The body shop spent about 10 less hours on it. In over 400 changes in the FFR kit since our first car (1454) I feel it is the single biggest improvement.

NOW before you get the idea it is scuff and shoot don't. There was a little (much less than before) panel misalignment but the old process of grinding the seams is not needed. Just eliminate the parting line, fair out the adjacent panels and fill, prime and block and then paint

I have some pics I am sending to FFR and will try to post them. I have my own server but I can't remember how to do the actual posting.

Hope this helps. Cheers Richard.

PS If the body is the deciding factor for you on an FFR don't let it be. It really never has been.

·
Senior Charter Member
658 Posts
I picked my kit up on Saturday. It was a $1000 off kit. The seams look good.

I asked what they did to improve the body and here is the info I received (please keep in mind that I have no fiberglass expertise). They indicated that historically, they layed-up the first layer in each mold, then assembled the molds and finish the layup. Now, they assemble the molds first and then begin to lay the fiberglass.

- Jesse

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts

·
5,042 Posts
Again, I got the $1,000 off and it's the 'seamless' body. Certainly my overall impression of the bodyi s very good but there are a couple of things I'm not sure about. One is that when looking from underneath there are places where 'daylight' shines easily through the seams. Are these voids? Also the trunck lines up poorly with the body in the middle of the hump. Theres about a 1/4" differtence. Does this press out with the rubber seal in place and the trink closed?

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
On the trunk gap, it is not a big deal. Once the body is final mounted the trunk lines up better. The weather stripping makes a big difference. Trim the trunk to fit the opening and then test fit it. The body also changes shape somewhat after mounting. Hope this helps. Cheers Richard.

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to everyone who responded and especially to Richard for the really cool photos! My kit arrives in Feb (by plan) so in the meantime, I'm accumulating parts and getting ready. Sure is great to have this forum!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Richard, It's just not shiny enough

Just kidding, that car looks Awesome!
Another great job.

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
Keith, thanks, we try. Just an FYI, we did not wash or wipe down the car it is covered in fingerprints, all we did was California Duster it off and take some pics. Cheers Richard.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I helped Wade Chamberlain take the body off of his new kit this weekend. The new bodies are 1000% better than the old ones. Looks like minimal bodywork will be required.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts