Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my body on 6/29/02 and am very excited. My concern is that everything from now on will be totally visible. Given that I have a limited amount of time blocked off to "finish" the car... I want to make sure that I am doing things in the right order.

presently, I have a functioning go-kart with a dash that works (though the gauge lights do not illuminate) and no interior.

From this step onward... what order should I attack things or, better stated, what order should I watch out for. (ex: carpet in before body?)

This is getting exciting!!!

·
Senior Charter Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so nobody has messed anything up in the late stages... just before the final body mounting?

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Be sure that you are happy with all the brake, clutch, gas pedal arrangements, because you will have to close the drivers footbox top, and have no more access once the body is on. Also the top has a 3/8" gap at the firewall to deal with.

Be sure you are happy with the dash wiring, heater, etc--also hard to reach after body is on.

I did carpet after body on, because the aluminum pieces under the doors have to go on after the body (I think--that's what I did anyway). You could carpet all but the floors though, which would be easier now (tunnel, rear wall, footbox sides).

Mount the doors after the windshield,,because it changes the body profile a little.

That's all I can think of.

Forrest

·
Senior Charter Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks... and much appreciated

·
FFCobra Fanatic
510 Posts
Put connectors on the wires for the lights and install them on the body before you install the body on the frame.

It is easier to fab and install a dead pedal before the body goes on.

It is MUCH easier to remove the plastic clutch quadrant and replace it with an aftermarket one before the body is installed.

A 'new' idea I saw at the DVSFII was to attach the louvers with velcro. I wish I had done that.

Check the bottom edge of the body just behind the side pipe cut-out. Sometimes the inward curve hits against the dropped section of the driver's footbox and holds it outward. This has a negative effect on your driver's door adjustment.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had my body done and on before the carpet was finished and some of the glue from the aresol can got on the new paint!!! had to switch to a tube and luckily I got all the over spray off the paint with out damage. moralof the story, Be careful with aresol cans around your new paint job! good luck.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,132 Posts
Originally posted by Wade:
[Check the bottom edge of the body just behind the side pipe cut-out. Sometimes the inward curve hits against the dropped section of the driver's footbox and holds it outward. This has a negative effect on your driver's door adjustment.[/QB]
Wade what did you do to remedy this problem??

Thanks

Jeff E.

[ June 25, 2002, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: J-MAN ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts