Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Lakewood bellhousing for my 302/Tremec. My starter will not bolt in. The holes in the bellhousing are too far apart. What's up with this.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Mine has two sets of mounting holes and an insert that can be removed to alter the pilot hole size and center. My starter uses the smaller pilot and bolt circle diameter. If everything else fits, they may have built some with a single larger bolt circle diameter. Mr. Gasket owns Lakewood and they have a hotline number you can access from their website. I don't have the number handy.

George

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Jim, the tech. svc. number for Lakewood is: (216) 688-8300, extension 500. Sorry, they answer monday through friday from 8:30 - 5:00pm EST. George

·
Junior Charter Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured it out. The top starter bolt goes into the bellhousing and the bottom bolt goes into the plate that mounts to the block. My friend Jeff (cobr65roadster) pointed this out when he came over to save me (again). Thanks guys.

·
3,876 Posts
Jim, here's a BIG heads up for you. The Lakewood bellhousing WON'T fit :eek: in your car unless you do some major tweeking of the aluminum trans tunnel where it meets the aluminum horeshoe at the firewall. You will have to trim the passenger side trans tunnel vertical side back about 3/4" and tweek the horseshoe piece back to it fit and even when you do this and get the engine in you will NEVER :eek: be able to change the clutch with the engine in the car.
If this is a new Lakewood bellhousing take it back and get a McCloud bell housing.
Been there done that in FFR-2224 and have to live with it.
Don
FFR-4000 (just delivered) :D

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,076 Posts
Frankly, if you have a MK II frame, I doubt you can change the clutch with the McCloud either. Maybe if you have a lift, otherwise you're probably going to have to take the engine out.

(could be wrong but after putting it in, I hope I never wear that clutch out.)

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have lived this nightmare... once installed onto the car it can be removed from below (for clutch work). It takes a ton of time (2-3 hours more that normal first time) but it can be done. I put a lakewood unit (and a new T5) in as an afterthought when my build was done... It is VERY tight but is fits with no real problems (it sits very low).

e-mail me if you ever need to know how to put one in on a complete car...

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
I have FFR # 3551 and they have apparently opened up the area for clearance for the bell housings. Mine is in the car without interference with almost equal spacing at the top and both sides. I hope I don't have to change a clutch soon. It doesn't look easy. George

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
I'm doing it right now for the second time. Practice makes perfect. I have an older chassis [before backbone]. Really its pretty easy. Trans comes right out the top. The Lakewood is tight but nothing a big Hammer won't cure. :eek: Brian

·
Junior Charter Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm waiting for my Tremec to arrive so I put the Lakewood bellhousing on the engine and put it in the car. Only problem was the area of the bellhousing that goes around the starter was hitting the frame. I filed this area so I should not have any problems. There was no aluminum interference at all. I do not have the horseshoe piece that goes around the tranny tunnel. It must have been deleted in the MK2 kit.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Jim everything here is pretty accurite. My tunnel is actually torn from the torqueing of the motor but when your sitting next to the engine and tranny like in our cars I value my legs more than extra labor and tight fits!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,655 Posts
So, what is the McLeod part # for the bellhousing that mates the Tremec 3550 to the 302? I will be needing one. Thanks.

Olli

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.