Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So are there any ethical grounds not to patch holes in the aluminum with the unused part of a fine Canadian beer? I relocated the E/P-brake and figured this would be a colorful addition to the passenger side, at least until the carpet goes in. If this gets any sort of a positive response, I will be offering professionally emptied, flattened, and trimmed cans for a few bucks each to others with similar patching requirements. Bill M.

·
8,356 Posts
That's pretty green of you. Not a bad idea; just rinse the can out good. Beer cans and Duct tape...Yeeehaa.

·
3 Generations on a MkIII
1,415 Posts
NPDH!

(No Pictures= Didn't happen!)

:D

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,314 Posts
Labatts must make stronger cans than Budweiser? What about Foster's "Oil Can" ?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Hmmm... interesting... I would suggest a trip to the "beer store" for a 6 pack of Molson XXX. You'll feel much better before you start cutting .. and the XXX label makes a more powerfull statement.

·
Junior Charter Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys - I totally overlooked the need for a thorough Scientific Sampling of various brands' thicknesses, resistance to cracking, paint flaking, and other criteria. Definitely a case for "cut first, measure later". The patch will need to wait for a bit.

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,623 Posts
Thanks for the tip Hobbes, I'm gonna start working on my patching material this afternoon. Now if can just find a hole to patch.

Here's a somewhat related side story involving a beer can patch:
I used to have Norton Commando 750 motorcyle with 2-1 headers and a megaphone. If anyone knows these motorcycles you know they're LOUD, even with the stock exhaust. During one rather spirited take-off, I incurred the wrath of one Door County's finest, who was upset because he couldn't hear his radio over my exhaust. Being a bike lover himself, he only gave me a warning and a deadline to get the exhaust quieted down and inspected.

The first and quickest and cheapest fix I could think of was to stuff crushed beer cans up the megaphone and secure them with a cobbled together mess of wires (don't ask). I didn't need anything too fancy because, of course as soon as I passed inspection, everything was coming out and I'd be back to waking the dead. The fix sounded OK as long as I didn't get on it too much so off I go to the cop shop for my inspection and a clean bill of health. Fired her up for the cop and gave her a couple quick blips just to show that my Norton was now a pussycat. Well, this wasn't good enough for the cop so he grabs a handful of throttle and runs it up real good and ...do I have to finish the story. At about 6,000 RPM beer cans come flying out in all directions and the decibel level rises accordingly while I stand there looking at my shoes. Fortunately, the cop apparently had bigger fish to fry and ordered me to come back with the stock exhaust installed, then told me to get the hell out of there and go straight home. Cops - gotta love 'em.

Tom

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts