Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm just about ready to start the interior.

I have the Breeze seat mounts.

My plan was to cut the mat and the carpet to match the base plate of the brackets so that I could remove them with out ruining the rest of the mat and carpet.

Is it worth doing that? Or will it not make any difference?

Just wondering how people worked around the Breeze mounts?
20200406_173952.jpg

Jason

·
Registered
660 Posts
1. Install insulation.
2. Install carpet.
3. Install mounts.
4. Install seats.
5. Congratulate yourself on a job well done.

Jeff
So it's OK to install the insulation and carpet before the base mount? Any concerns about the stability of the mount with all the stuff in between it and the frame?
that being said, i'll go ahead and finish my cockpit and not worry about the seat mounts until I get the body on.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I ended up installing the base directly to the floor using large steel rivets and installed the Koolmat over it. I cut out strips of the koolmat between the studs on either side of the base, exposing the studs and making it so the wedge would fit down onto the base through the koolmat. Installed carpet over the top of the base and simply cut holes out for the studs to stick through, then secured the seats/wedges. So basically the base is mounted directly to the floor, and the carpet is between the base and the wedge.

I wouldn't have any concerns about mounting the base on top of Koolmat or carpet, though you will likely need to use bolts instead of rivets. As long as the seat is secured to the floor in some manner, you're good to go. It's the belts that are mounted to the frame that will take the brunt of the punishment if things go sideways, though you don't want your seat bouncing around under you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Have posted my experiences before, but repeating them if I can help in any way-

"Instead of the suggested spray-on adhesive, I used a gel type contact adhesive which allows you to put things in place and wiggle them around a bit for about 15 minutes before the gel goes off.

I started with the trunk of the car first as that gave me a good way to practice both cutting my own pieces and sticking them in correctly. Cutting them slightly oversized by about 2 to 3 mm prevented any unsightly gaps where two pieces come together. Have plenty of spare blades for your knife as sharp cuts will prevent the cuts from being wavy or the threads being pulled.

For holes through the carpet, I used either a wad punch or a soldering iron for the smaller holes. the soldering iron has the added benefit of cauterising the edges of the holes, preventing the threads from pulling. Do not try to drill a hole through the carpet, it will be a disaster.

for really large sections I found it better to apply the adhesive to a small area first, then get the carpet in position, let it set and then peel the non glued section back and do the reminder of the piece. This is easy when you are using contact adhesive that you can just spread on with a spatula.

when all said and done it turned out really really well and I was quite pleased with my work. 2 years on it is still holding up like new.

make sure you have some really good ventilation, including fans for when you are doing the foot boxes the adhesive is pretty noxious.

for a beginner like me I think the slower setting gel adhesive was definitely the best choice I made."

Cheers Nigel in South Oz

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. You shared this on the past I read it and will follow your steps. I am using contact cement with the Koolmat

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
With all due respect there is some bad advice about our seat mounting kit being given above. I recommend you follow the instructions provided with the kit. The square base plate of the Breeze seat mounting kit is designed to attach directly on the aluminum floor with nothing in-between. No insulation, no carpet and ideally no rivet heads. We provide
two grip length stainless rivets in 1/8" and 3/16" diameter and the grip lengths are sized for the thickness of the base plate + aluminum + various steel thickness that may be encountered under the aluminum. There is no huge need to insulate or carpet over the base plate as it will be completely obscured by the seat once installed, but you can if you want to - just be sure to cut out 4 rectangles for the feet of the tapered platform to sit flat on the baseplate.

·
Registered
479 Posts
With all due respect there is some bad advice about our seat mounting kit being given above. I recommend you follow the instructions provided with the kit. The square base plate of the Breeze seat mounting kit is designed to attach directly on the aluminum floor with nothing in-between. No insulation, no carpet and ideally no rivet heads. We provide
two grip length stainless rivets in 1/8" and 3/16" diameter and the grip lengths are sized for the thickness of the base plate + aluminum + various steel thickness that may be encountered under the aluminum. There is no huge need to insulate or carpet over the base plate as it will be completely obscured by the seat once installed, but you can if you want to - just be sure to cut out 4 rectangles for the feet of the tapered platform to sit flat on the baseplate.
That's pretty much how I ended up doing mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts