Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building a Mark 4 Roadster and I have a question on the depth of the snap ring groove in the shock's spring hat. Last week I contacted FFR and was told there were no engineers to answer my question. Here is my concern. The groove depth for the snap ring in the spring hat is .030" - .032" in depth. It just looks to me that the groove is very shallow. Last week I asked FFR to measure the depth of of hats in stock and received no reply.

Perhaps someone could measure the depth of their groove and post. Obviously I'm concerned the snap ring could be forced out of the groove.

Thanks!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Did you try fitting it in yet? Mine seemed to fit in the groove just fine. Make sure you check the softness of the shocks while you're assembling them. They should be at the softest setting.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you try fitting it in yet? Mine seemed to fit in the groove just fine. Make sure you check the softness of the shocks while you're assembling them. They should be at the softest setting.
Yes, I have assembled the shocks and actually drove it a few hundred feet. I't's just that the width of the snap ring versus the groove with a depth of only .030 just does not look "right". Thanks

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,519 Posts
I think you have the threaded sleeve on upside down. The ring should be inside the end of the sleeve. It only goes <1/8 inch below the end of the sleeve.
20200326_083242 by craig stuard, on Flickr

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you have the threaded sleeve on upside down. The ring should be inside the end of the sleeve. It only goes <1/8 inch below the end of the sleeve.
20200326_083242 by craig stuard, on Flickr
Thanks for your response Craig, but I'm talking about the snap ring groove in the spring hat, NOT the ring in the shock body.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,519 Posts
Oh OK I see now. That will not be a problem. The spring load is actually taken by the shoulder machined into the hat. See the red arrow.
Koni load shoulder by craig stuard, on Flickr
In some combinations of spring rates, spring lengths, and ride heights, if you jack up the car and let the suspension hang, (or get the car airborne over a hump in the road) the spring could have some freeplay on the shock. That snap ring just keeps the hat in it's proper position if this happens. If it were to come loose from the shock end, it could flop around and then be captured at an angle when the shock is compressed again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts