Shocks

Roadster#7355 Picked up on 10/30/10
Shocks are OK
Fronts 30-1720 Date 28-2009
Rears 30-1721 Date 25-2010

·
Registered
251 Posts
Was told mine would ship either yesterday or today by Tom at Koni, so we should start to see them in the next couple days.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
My Konis were shipped out and held by UPS until Koni came back to work after New Years. I received my replacements by UPS today.

Same part number, and the manufacturer date on the replacements is 13-2011. So, no they didn't need to go and make new ones to handle the recall (at least not for mine).

·
Coolest Puzzle ever !
1,306 Posts
Ok

Mine left today towards koni. How long should I expect to wait?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I shipped mine Wednesday and they were delivered Tuesday morning. I talked to Koni today and they said mine were received in the system Wednesday and that mine should ship today or tomorrow. Add 4 more business days for shipping and I should have mine by by next Thursday for a total of 15 days or 10 business days. Koni mentioned that they do have the shocks in stock it just takes some time to process the orders.

·
Out of Time
1,524 Posts
Kit #7201, delivered 3/25/10: I dodged the bullet on this one.. all mine were the same date code:

All 4 are part number: 30 1720
All 4 have same date code: 28-2009

This begs a question: I have (standard) IRS rear setup. Am I supposed to have 4x of the same shocks?
It seems the springs are different for IRS rear vs front (I don't remember that from that part of the build).

From FF parts catalog:
As a result the solid axle coil-over kits include 350lb springs, front coil-over kits include 500lb springs, and IRS coil-over kits include 750lb springs.

EDIT - Determined that standard width IRS Koni P/N is and should be 30-1720. Likewise, front standard width shocks are 30-1720. 30-1721's fit rear w/ Pin Drive.

My front:

My rear shocks:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Finally got around to checking my shocks yesterday. My fronts are the exact same part and date code as HIRISC's and were easy to read at full drop by moving the sleeve. I had to remove the rears, though, on my 3-link setup, and they were part #30-1721 date code 01-2010, so I'm good to go. Thanks to Koni and FFR for doing the right thing.

·
Registered
703 Posts
FWIW, if you do check your shocks be sure and write the numbers down. When this first came out I checked mine and they were ok, but Koni has called me several times to get the numbers. I keep forgetting to look.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Again

Anyone remember me....I was headfirst into the original shock and spring problem.

It is a good thing at least that the defects are obviously traceable to a manufacturing defect.

It wasn't so clear when the bilsteins were failing.

Its good that it was found before someone got hurt. I had two shock failures with bilsteins, both on a straight road. That was bad enough. If you have ones in the production run stay off the road until you get them replaced. Its ugly when they break.

I ended up with Koni's that were done by Gordon Levy. That was before FFR offered them.
The Konis are great shocks, so once this is taken care of there should be no further issues.

Shep

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,732 Posts
I bought my kit in 05 and completed the car in 07. i was aware of some problems with the bilsteins but i thought it was a problem with the spring itself. There aren't any autocross stuff or reall any hard driving courses around where I live, so outside the a little local hammering my car is seldom driven hard.
It's fun for a quick 100+ MPH squirt here and there and some fast highway miles.
This morning just tooling along at 50 on a smooth local road BAM! the car slammed the road some tire smoke came up.WTF!!
Turns out the old bilstein shock snapped at the heim end and the spring and hat shot out the bottom of the front lower control arm.
fortunatley no bad damage to the car but for a little road rash to the frame.
So i guess the story is GET RID OF OLD BILSTEINS!
This could have been ugly in other circumstances
Ill be giving Roger North a call soon

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,732 Posts
I was looking at those, will be giving you a order very soon.......
Roger North? Mental dyslexia, Roger (RIP) from wire diet Rich North from Norths racecars

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bilstein failure

So I just experienced failure of my front drivers side Bilstein this past weekend. 60mph and "PING" and then the car dropped to one side.

Scraped the left side pipes but was on a flat road.

Thankfully the spring lodged into the control arm and I was able to limp home. (couldn't steer well though).

Bilstein has offered to upgrade. I bought my car 2nd hand so wasn't familiar with the recall/upgrade.

Kind of a pain that I have to send them back. Is the Koni upgrade worth it? $500 for new Konis vs. sending in for the Bilstein upgrades and waiting 3-4 weeks?

Thanks in advance!

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
22,931 Posts
Glad you are OK. I bet the shock was mounted with the big end (body) up. I'm I correct? How many miles on them?

I did, and would still choose the Konis.

Greg

·
Snake Farmer
10,315 Posts
Rec'd my FFR back in 2008, so I'm good to go without needing to check them.:)

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I upgraded my MKII after the front Bilstian started to crack. I upgraded to Koni's Oct 2008. I take it that my car is safe.It sounds like Koni was much faster to find and fix the problem. Roger

41 - 60 of 67 Posts