Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this posted on the Factory Five Website and on the Coupe Forum

What's New

Official KONI Shock Recall Notice I wanted to take a moment to let you guys know about a potentially serious matter that requires your immediate attention.

Recently we received a report from a customer regarding a KONI shock absorber that had failed. This is the only incident of a broken KONI shock that we have received. We immediately obtained the part from the customer and forwarded it to the guys at KONI. It was quickly determined by the technical guys at KONI that the root cause of the failure was due to a cold weld. KONI and Factory Five Racing, Inc. are taking immediate action to replace any affected parts in the field.

The potentially affected shocks are in a small range of about 125 customers and were delivered in FFR kits and parts sales AFTER February 2010. We have identified the potentially affected lot numbers and are asking you to check your shocks for the following batch numbers:

Part Number: 30-1720, Date Code: 07-2010
Part Number: 30-1721, Date Code: 07-2010
Part Number: 30-1721, Date Code: 13-2010

Reactions: JasoninAZ and LuvAZ

·
Super Moderator
29,396 Posts
Stickied so it won't get buried

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you Sir

Do you think we can sticky it on the Coupe and 33 forums as well???

·
Super Moderator
29,396 Posts
I stickied the Coupe. I can do the 33 as well

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice team work there ;)

·
Not a waxer
11,879 Posts
indy14 Steve's car was shipped during the timeframe in question and he just sent me the e-mail that he recieved with this info. I'm going to go by his house to check the numbers.

Do you suppose Bilstein is snickering?

Jeff

________

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,466 Posts
I have an older set in stock and the numbers are on the end of the body above the spring clip that the threaded sleeve rests on. On my new set the numbers arent there. Of course they are installed and I cant see anywhere else very easily. Anyone know exactly where the numbers are located on the newer shocks? I may pull one off to inspect tonight if I get a chance. I will post what I find.

Mike

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have an older set in stock and the numbers are on the end of the body above the spring clip that the threaded sleeve rests on. On my new set the numbers arent there. Of course they are installed and I cant see anywhere else very easily. Anyone know exactly where the numbers are located on the newer shocks? I may pull one off to inspect tonight if I get a chance. I will post what I find.

Mike
The numbers are on the silver koni sticker on the main body of the shock..mine were visible without having to remove the coil over sleeve...looks like I get 4 new shocks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well, I just logged in to the koni site and filled out my request for 4 new shocks.

It looks like they ship me a return box and shipping label first..then once I return them they ship me new shocks.

Kinda wished they sent me the shocks first and I sent the returns after but I guess the risk of fraud is high.

So far the process seems pretty easy.

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
22,931 Posts
If you got your Konis when FFR initially offered them at 1/2 price after the final "recall" on the "new and improved" Bildsteins, that was Nov 2008.

Greg

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
If you got your Konis when FFR initially offered them at 1/2 price after the final "recall" on the "new and improved" Bildsteins, that was Nov 2008.

Greg
Thanks Greg. I was just talking about FFR related shock issues in general. Yes, I got my during the 1/2 price deal, so no worries for me!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Do you suppose Bilstein is snickering?

Jeff

________
They can snicker away. Looks like Koni is on top of this problem much faster than Bilstein was. :icon18:

·
Registered
179 Posts
koni shock trouble

after checking my shocks on my roadster (#7230 ) , still under construction , i found these numbers : 30 1720 date 4-2010 . assuming 4 is April and it is after February do i have defective shocks ?

·
Not a waxer
11,879 Posts
i found these numbers : 30 1720 date 4-2010 . assuming 4 is April and it is after February
The first digit is the week of the year, so in your case the 4 indicates they were produced in late January.

Again quoting FFR:
"We have identified the potentially affected lot numbers and are asking you to check your shocks for the following batch numbers:

Part Number: 30-1720, Date Code: 07-2010
Part Number: 30-1721, Date Code: 07-2010
Part Number: 30-1721, Date Code: 13-2010"

Jeff

·
Registered
370 Posts
So I looked at my car which is still under construction, and I would have to pull the shocks out to see this date stamp. Given that mine was ordered in October 2010 (and shipped Dec 2010), is it likely to be affected?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
If you'll jack up the car to full droop, you will then be able to lift the threaded sleeve enough with your hand to read the label. That's all I had to do.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts