Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Charter Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where there is or have a picture of how the knockoff spinners are wired on. I bought the spinner knockoffs but don't trust them so I want to wire them on. Also where do I get the right wire?

Thanks in advance

·
Senior Charter Member
1,966 Posts
I'll have to look up the McMaster-Carr part number for the safety wire (they also have the lead hammers in 2 different sizes). The pliers can actually be purchased from Habor Freight over on Independence Blvd. for ~$10-12. Of course, places like the vendors here on the forum supply these products too, but they do charge a premium for one stop shopping. After doing my own research, I have less than $45 in the hammer, pliers, and wire.

Like you, I need a lesson in how to properly wire the knock-offs on the Cobra. Meant to ask Jeff and the guys at Whitby's during the holiday party but there didn't seem to be a minute of their spare time available where I could ask...

Let me know if you find out how as I need to have mine wired on too.

·
597 Posts
Hello,

I don't have a pic but I do know that the wire is not designed to keep the knockoff from moving. You twist the wire tightly but leave an untwisted slack area in the middle. That way if the slack is taken up, you will know that the spinner has moved.

God Luck,

Steve

·
Been There, Broke That
1,573 Posts
Posi, here is a picture from an earlier thread, not my car:

Here is a picture showing what Steve is talking about, with the loop of wire to show if the spinner moves:

HTH

Tom

·
Senior Charter Member
3,588 Posts
FYI - The purpose of safety wire is to lock the spinner in position, not as a visual indicator that it has moved. Notice in the first picture (correct use of lock wire) that the lock wire is wired such that the spinner cannot loosen. The only way there would be slack in the wire is if the spinner were tightened further. Putting the loop in (as in the second picture) WILL allow the spinner to loosen - not good!

Pete

·
FFCobra Fanatic
430 Posts
Remember the wire is NOT used to keep the spinner on. If the kink comes out, it's a visual that you need to tighten the spinner NOW!!! Use a 5 Lb lead hammer.

Jim

·
597 Posts
Pete,

Not to start a fight but I've always heard that the safety wire is a visual check, done like the second photo. The logic is that if the spinner loosens, it could snap the wire if wired as in photo 1.

My intuition says that you don't want that wire being the thing that holds your wheel on. You want to correctly install the spinner and that wire is just a visual reference, but I will admit to only having theoretical knowledge here as I've never had a car with knockoffs (yet).

I suppose if you really want to be safe you'd do both! :D

Steve

·
3,874 Posts
Steve is correct and it should look like the second photo that Tom posted which is a photo of mine taken of the Trigo wheel on FFR-2224 that I built for Boyd McMillan which we lost on a run to San Leandro for a show. I called Lynn Park from the side of the road to try and figure out what happened and basically we heard the wire snap but didn't know what it was so we just figured it was from a truck that was passing us from the other direction. Not long after that the car started wondering around a little. We pulled over to check the front suspension figuring that something had loosened up but all was fine. Within a mile of getting back on the road the rear shifted a little, the knock-off from the left rear took off and then the wheel came off and passed us like we were standing still and into the irrigation ditch it went. We were lucky to be able to find the knock-off and with the use of a guys ladder we were able to fish the wheel out of the water and tulles. Lynn suggested using a 6lb. lead mallet and .040 wire leaving a loop in the middle and check regularly. What happened was Boyd had an alignment shop work on the car and when they put them back on they just didn’t get them tight.

Don

·
Senior Charter Member
3,588 Posts
Originally posted by SBRocket:
Pete,

Not to start a fight but I've always heard that the safety wire is a visual check, done like the second photo. The logic is that if the spinner loosens, it could snap the wire if wired as in photo 1.

My intuition says that you don't want that wire being the thing that holds your wheel on. You want to correctly install the spinner and that wire is just a visual reference, but I will admit to only having theoretical knowledge here as I've never had a car with knockoffs (yet).

I suppose if you really want to be safe you'd do both! :D

Steve
Well, I don't have knock-offs, so maybe I'm wrong for this application. However, when safety wire is used on aircraft, you would NEVER intentionally put a loop in it, as the purpose of safety wire is to keep bolts from loosening.

Pete

·
Charter Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the great help guys.
This is what the forum is all about.

Posi..........

·
FFCobra Fanatic
523 Posts
Though I am a novice, I believe the way to properly safety wire tnock offs is to pull the wire in the direction to tighten the tri wing. I don't know why you would put a loop in it? Make sure you put the adapters on the right side of the car. Right hand thread on the driver side and left hand thread on the passenger. Then make sure the wire is pulling the spinner in the direction to tighten it.

·
Arruminum
3,691 Posts

Here is a picture from the Kirkhams website. I think this is the way that they do their cars.

·
Charter Member
201 Posts
Having read many of the posts regarding this subject on both forums, I'm wondering:
Years ago when Halibrand was in it's hayday, they made a half cicle shaped wire pin (we used to call them diaper pins)that was inserted into a hole drilled through the hub close to the spinner. This pin eliminated the need to safety wire the spinners and of course, stopped the spinner if it started to loosen up.
Has anyone anyone thought of a solution like this?
I have a set kicking around and may try them on my car. I'll try to find them this weekend and post a pic.
Any comments?
Greg

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,733 Posts
So as long as we are on this topic.... If the theory of the knock-offs was to limit the time in the pits during a race would you not loose more time putting the safty wire on? Were races raced with-out the safty wire?
I dont know the answer..just thought Iwould ask.
B

P.S. I am aware of the special use pliers used for twisting safty wires.

·
Been There, Broke That
1,573 Posts
I dont know the answer as far as which way is correct, but it seems to me that it comes down to whether or not safety wire is strong enough to actually stop the spinner from coming off if it wants to. If the safety wire can in fact stop the spinner from coming off, then why not tie it without the loop so that it will prevent any movement of the spinner.

On the other hand, if safety wire is not strong enough to prevent the spinner from coming off, then you might want to employ the loop in the middle trick, so that you can see if the spinner is starting to loosen and re-tighten it before its too late.

Just my two cents.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Originally posted by FFR1668:
So as long as we are on this topic.... If the theory of the knock-offs was to limit the time in the pits during a race would you not loose more time putting the safty wire on? Were races raced with-out the safty wire?
I dont know the answer..just thought Iwould ask.
B

P.S. I am aware of the special use pliers used for twisting safty wires.
Yes, they did NOT use safety wire for road racing. It is only for street use.

Having worked in an aircraft repair facility, I can tell you that they do not use the "loop" or "kink" It is always done snug (not tight). That is aircraft though.

It is your car, so do it whatever way makes you feel more comfortable about the project!

·
We don't need no stinkin stitches
1,432 Posts
This sounds a bit familiar.
I had some thoughts on this in the past.
Check this thread:
http://www.ffcars.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=40;t=010463#000000

I am still considering changes but have the safety wire only as an indicator right now.
A great point was brought up about aircraft bolts. Does the size of the bolt/specified torque determine the diameter/type of wire. If so does the size and strength of wire used go up as the size and torque spec of bolt?

Jack

·
Charter Member
201 Posts
Here are my crude pics of a variation on the theme of diaper pinning the hub (instead of safety wiring the spinner) to keep the spinner from comming off.
I've used a short piece of plastic pipe to simulate the threaded hub and I'll show pics of:
the "diaper" pins, my two different spinners, an aluminum 3 eared knock-off and a ss hex centernut. I haven't decided which I will use on my Sunburst wheels.
With the center caps in place, the pins are hardly noticable.
OK - I though I knew how to post the pics and I guess I don't. Soory. I'll try again shortly.
Greg

·
We don't need no stinkin stitches
1,432 Posts
Greg,
PM and i will try to get your pics up.
I am interested in seeing your setup.
Jack

·
Charter Member
201 Posts
Thanks Jack. I think I got the pics posted to the forum, because I can view them on the FFForum Picture Posting Tool site, but how do I attach them to this thread?
In error I posted them twice under my forum name "my427cobra".
Hope you can see them.
Greg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts