Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in a FFR kit, but I have a few questions. I've learned alot by reading the forum, but still have a few questions. Some of the hoods that I have seen have two pins up front, some have what looks like lots of rivets, while others have no metal and are smooth. What is the difference? Next question is about dash and gauge placement. When ordering the kit, do I have options on where the cut-outs in the dash will be? Last question is about exuast. Are the side pipes straight thru, or is there some baffling or something to quiet it at all? Thanks in advance for your time.

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
1. Some guys rivet the hood hoop (connects the hood to hood hinge) while other guys bond it into the fiberglass using no rivets.

2. You can get the dash in two popular guage layouts or blank so you can design yourself.

3. The side exhaust uses a glasspack style muffler. Many guys report that they "blow out" with-in a few thousand miles. Many people are replacing them with a muffler called "lobak"--run a search.

Hope this helps.--Dan

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,355 Posts
On the MK III the hood is gel coated on both sides. There is no need for rivets. They are also easily painted on the underside.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
If you're from the North Pole... get a heater!!!!! :D And probably some good headlights, snow tires, etc...

Steve

·
1,018 Posts
1) As Dan stated above. Some choose to use rivets, or SS butten head screws to join the hoop to the hood, while others choose to bond the hood hoop using epoxy or fiberglass for that totally clean look. The hood hoop is what enables the hood to be connected to the hinge mechanism.

2) As Dan stated.

3) As Dan stated.

Doug
FFR2625

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
Cars with hood pins don't use a hood hinge. You pull the pins in front, unlatch in the rear and completely remove the hood. I've also seen a couple cars with the look of a pinned racing hood that was just for show and actually had them pivot with the hinge itself.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I wanted the smooth look--so i bonded and countersunk the rivets and filled in above them. It's securely fastened and looks smooth. That's the nice thing about building these things, they can be built doggon near any way you want to, including some things that take a huge amount of engineering to get it the way the builder wants. toodizzy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.