Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Arruminum
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kirkham Motorsports was having some kind of an open house today. I dropped by for a few minutes to see what they had. That place gives me goose bumps. All that shiny aluminum...

I saw their CSX 427, the car from SEMA with the SS frame, couple of their 427s, a 289 FIA, a hybrid and a GT40. Saw a couple FFCars guys there as well. Those guys in Provo (and Poland) make some beautiful stuff.

[ January 19, 2004, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: SloW8 ]

·
Registered
675 Posts
A few of us were there. The Kirkhams are true enthusiasts. They are some of the nicest people you will ever meet and they know Cobras inside and out. I spent some time with Tom's wife and she told me about their annual tradition of taking their original out for a 1000 mile road trip every year. Their attitude is, "what good is it if you don't get out and drive it?" I drooled all day long at those beautiful cars. Sorry, I forgot to bring my camera.

·
Arruminum
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by dpmac:
Why would this post be OT?
Just figured since it wasn't FFR stuff it would be OT. :rolleyes:

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,464 Posts
Contrary to popular believe, this web site based forum is for all Cobra enthusiasts, not just those who own a Factory Five, or want to own a Factory Five roadster..........

Bill S.

Originally posted by SloW8:
Just figured since it wasn't FFR stuff it would be OT. :rolleyes:

·
Scalded Cat
1,847 Posts
The Kirkhams Open house was a blast! (long) It started at about 10:00 am and went at least till 5:00 pm (I had to leave early so I'm not sure what time they wrapped things up).

It started out with just being able to check out the display cars on their shop floor, which consisted of:
Their CSX 427 car.
Their KMP 427 car that was at SEMA. These 2 cars they had on lifts so you could compare side by side or I should say belly to belly!
A 289 FIA car.
Their 427 car with an aluminum big block w/stack injection. This car they had on tire scales which showed each corners weight and a total weight of 2450 (w full 40 gallons of gas). Dry weight I think David said was 2193 or somewhere close to that.
A hybrid car that had a 427 Stainless Steel frame and a customized 289 body with wide enough hips to fit 295's.
A original GT40 and like Craig said to me it was funny to see a GT40 ignored like it was.

Throughout the day they had presentations showcasing different things.
One presentation was by David Kee's who can now build toploader 4 speeds new. He has spent the last many years buying and rebuilding original ones and now has the ability, and castings, to make them new starting next month.
Another presentation was given by Mike Lafever, he built FE engines for Shelby for 10 years and is now building on his own. He talked about their new FE heads and various other big block topics. I missed most of this presentation due to a work call I had to make.
Jamo from Club Cobra did a great presentation on titling in California and the SB100 topic.
They gave away rafle prizes throughout the day. One of which included a Certified Kirkham Hat that had been flown in a U2 Recon plane. A pilot was there and had some good information to share about his different experiences. As you can see their was a lot to learn and many great people to meet and talk with.
Thomas Kirkham did a presentation on wiring up your knock off rims and it was great to see.
David Kirkham did a presentation on the evolution (and on going evolution) of their upper and lower control arms. They make duplicates of the original pieces as well as they have some gorgeous billet aluminum pieces that are machined inhouse and are constatly being improved upon.

I spent the better part of my week last week with the Kirkhams printing up new Brochures and Posters, which they also handed out. The posters are now being sold and turned out very well. If someone can host it I'll email them a picture of their new posters so you can see them and contact them to buy your copy. We also did some large banners that ranged from 8' x 14' to 8' x 25' in size. These they hung up all over their shop to show case some of their cars.

They also just did their whole shop with Snaplock flooring and with everything combined their shop looked great!

They served a dutch oven lunch to all and the scones were too good!

In short, or I should say long, the day went by too fast and I look forward to their next one. It is nice to have them this close and to see their exciting work and beautiful cars. With their latest prices these cars are hard to not think about.

Jim Doak had his digital camera there maybe he will post some pictures. (get the hint Jim!)

Thank you to the Kirkhams and their kind hospitality to all. I look forward to next year.
Todd
FFR3409

I also think the OT should be taken off this post!

[ January 20, 2004, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Todd ]

·
Scalded Cat
1,847 Posts
Oh. I almost forgot. They had a bare frame there that was being picked up by its new owner. (same guy who bought ACE's aluminum body.) It is rare to see a bare frame at the Kirkham shop since they all come from Poland with the aluminum already on the frame.
Todd

·
Senior Charter Member
279 Posts
Todd - are you or the Kirkhams selling those massive banners?

They look amazing !!!

·
Scalded Cat
1,847 Posts
Ace, yes that looks like the same guy we met at the Kirkham open house. I think he is building a 289 aluminum car as well.

750hp, I printed the banners, the posters and the flyers for the Kirkhams and they turned out fantastic! They really helped dress up their shop. How did you see them all the way down in Australia?

I talked to them yesterday and they are willing to sell the posters for $10 that will include the shipping tube and any freight. If anyone is interested just contact them at 801 377-8224 talk to Mary Kirkham or Steve Kirkham. I can take a picture but will need someone to host it so everyone can see it.
Todd

·
Scalded Cat
1,847 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
705 Posts
Originally posted by 750hp:
Todd - are you or the Kirkhams selling those massive banners?
Craig... the banners were really cool. One was a life-sized side view...they were truly billboard-sized... and very $$$ I'm told.

One of the grand-door-prizes was ... your choice of one of the banners.

·
Senior Charter Member
279 Posts
I wonder how $$$ is very $$$ ?

The life-sized side view of the BNL that Jamo's picture showed was amazing. There are companies out here that effectively screen print a digital image onto vinyl for billboards and the side of trucks. Were the banners made from the same process?

Ron - did you ever manage to get the video to work?

·
Scalded Cat
1,847 Posts
OK I have pictures of the posters now if someone can post them for me I'll email them over.

750HP yes that is the same printing process that was used to produce the huge banners.

Todd

·
Senior Charter Member
279 Posts
Todd - any chance of letting out some trade secrets?

What resolution photo is required to get a lifesize print like the awesome side-on photo of the BNL Kirkham? I'm fascinated about the quality of the latest billboard / truck prints, and was wondering if you have any other interesting bits of information about the process.

Thanks !

Craig

1 - 20 of 20 Posts