Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow - I'm actually posting something that isn't part of my bodywork thread... feels weird working on something else for once. The upholsterer called today with the good news that my seats were done, so I picked them up on the way home and couldn't resist taking some comparison photos.

As detailed in my post on the seat mounts, I modified these by trimming the side bolsters and using some extra beading from Kirkey to finish off the cuts. I then fabricated mounts for the bottoms and backs using a combination of Breeze and Kirkey parts, as well as some stuff that I cobbled together on my own. Finally, I ordered up some seat heaters and lumbar supports from Fortes and everything went to a local hotrod upholstery shop for full leather covering with a vintage flair. Here's the end result - I couldn't be happier.

Started with this - the stock FFR seat, which wasn't comfortable for me as it made me sit too high and too far forward:

Then moved to this - the standard Kirkey vintage low back:

Which was modified into this by re-contouring the side and hip bolsters:

And they now looks like this - complete with piping around the edges, just like the originals:

For comparison sake - here's what the standard Kirkey cover looks like:

The padding they used is a combination of three different densities - with a thick memory foam that is sort of like that tempurpedic mattress stuff - and feels firm but will be great on long trips. The lumbar is a must-do if you go this route, too.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Those are excellent!,,

·
FFCobra Craftsman
4,241 Posts
Should have had them put a submarine hole in the bottom.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Chris, you did a nice job on those seats…classed them up a lot. You really did make a silk purse out of sows ear… but that is what we do with this kit.

Jack

·
Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should have had them put a submarine hole in the bottom.
I actually welded the anti-sub hole in the Kirkey's - you can see the difference in the second and third pictures. I prefer to have the anti-sub come from around the front of the seat... just fits better with my inseam and seating position in these seats.

·
Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris, you did a nice job on those seats…classed them up a lot. You really did make a silk purse out of sows ear… but that is what we do with this kit.

Jack
Jack,

Thanks - you're car is the high-water mark for me... I even had the upholsterer save all the scrap leather so that I have something to use as a cover on the exposed chassis tubes inside the cockpit. He also gave me enough leather from one of the hides to cover the dash and top of the rear bulkhead and is going to cover a small armrest that I'm building. Ought to feel and smell pretty good when it's all done.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Chris, stop posting stuff, seriously stop it! I'm no where near ready to buy seats and I'm having to fight the temptation of ordering my seats today and shipping them to your upholstery guy. I was on the fence about getting the Kirkeys and keeping them in line with my build plan, but this has TOTALY made my mind up!

This is another great job like everything in your build.

Joey

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Junior Charter Member
849 Posts
I actually welded the anti-sub hole in the Kirkey's - you can see the difference in the second and third pictures. I prefer to have the anti-sub come from around the front of the seat... just fits better with my inseam and seating position in these seats.
Look at page 2:
http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Schroth_Installation_Checklist.pdf

The sub belt should be in a straight line with the shoulder harnesses. Going forward and curving around the bottom of the seat defeats the purpose of what the sub strap is there for.

It should also be noted 5-point harnesses are considered unsafe compared to 6-point too. You want your hips fully secure and unable to move, something a 5-point is unable to do.

I'm not trying to be preachy, just want everyone to be informed and safe. The Scroth install manual for their harness should be studied by everyone, some good information there.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Chris, stop posting stuff, seriously stop it! I'm no where near ready to buy seats and I'm having to fight the temptation of ordering my seats today and shipping them to your upholstery guy. I was on the fence about getting the Kirkeys and keeping them in line with my build plan, but this has TOTALY made my mind up!

This is another great job like everything in your build.

Joey

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I so agree with Joey on this? Seeing what a great job you have done with your Kirkey seats makes me want to run out and get a set NOW!! You have made these seats a must on my list. Great job Chris!

ED.

·
Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hacker-Pshorr,

Please don't take this wrong, but as a NASA HPDE instructor and SCCA comp license holder since the early '90s, I'm well aware of the proper installation of safety equipment and the risks I'm taking with this car and will surely inform passengers of the same.

Not to be preachy, either, but this is a thread about the seats and covers... feel free to start a harness or safety equipment thread and we can continue the discussion there.

·
Junior Charter Member
849 Posts
Hacker-Pshorr,

Please don't take this wrong, but as a NASA HPDE instructor and SCCA comp license holder since the early '90s, I'm well aware of the proper installation of safety equipment and the risks I'm taking with this car and will surely inform passengers of the same.

Not to be preachy, either, but this is a thread about the seats and covers... feel free to start a harness or safety equipment thread and we can continue the discussion there.
No problem.

A few years ago my car (non FFR) failed tech for having the sub belt over the front of the seat. I just don't want to see anyone run into the same issues if they can learn form someone else.

I love the covers, it's exactly what I Plan on doing with my car.

·
Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No problem.

A few years ago my car (non FFR) failed tech for having the sub belt over the front of the seat. I just don't want to see anyone run into the same issues if they can learn form someone else.

I love the covers, it's exactly what I Plan on doing with my car.
No worries, man, we should always be aware of safety and the risks these cars pose. If there's a better way to install safety equipment, we should take the time to educate ourselves before making decisions.

I'll end this slight off-track excursion with the admonishion to always wear our harness... and not just the lap belt!

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Chris,

Beautiful execution and another one of your ideas to add to my build to do list.

How much leg room did it add?

Thanks,

Carl

·
FFCobra Captain
11,699 Posts
Those look great. I had the kirkey seats and swapped them out for the FFR seats...the stock kirkey's just weren't all the comfortable for me.

With your modifications, they look like they would be great for long rides.

Gotta ask...how much did you spend to get those looking that good?

·
Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chris,

Beautiful execution and another one of your ideas to add to my build to do list.

How much leg room did it add?

Thanks,

Carl
I'm sitting about 3" or so farther back. Far enough that I had to move the Breeze floor mounts forward one hole to get full range on the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Beautiful! Thinking I need to copy it.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
I'm sitting about 3" or so farther back. Far enough that I had to move the Breeze floor mounts forward one hole to get full range on the clutch pedal.
Chris,

A couple more requests:

1. Which version of the Kirkey seat did out order? From visiting their site it looks like there are options on width and rake of the back;

2, could you post a picture of the mods made to the back of the seat for support?

Again thanks. Carl

·
Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chris,

A couple more requests:

1. Which version of the Kirkey seat did out order? From visiting their site it looks like there are options on width and rake of the back;

2, could you post a picture of the mods made to the back of the seat for support?

Again thanks. Carl
Carl - I used the vintage lowback bucket, model 41V. They don't have different back angles for that seat as far as I know, but they do come in widths of 15" - 18". I went with the 17" width. They have a good amount of thigh bolster, but I still have plenty of room to move around. If it was a strictly track-only car, I would have gone with the 16" seats as they fit a bit tighter, but they wouldn't give the space to shift around when on long drives. Plus, they'd require a little thinner padding, which also may have been a bit uncomfortable on long trips.

Here's a link to the thread about modifying the seats. You can see the differences in the before and after cut pictures, and each seat took a couple feet of new extruded edging from Kirkey to make it look like it came that way originally.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...-modified-kirkey-vintage-bucket-low-back.html

1 - 19 of 19 Posts