Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for anyone who has the Kirkey Vintage Class bucket seats or anyone else that has an opinion for that matter. I have mistakenly assumed my butt was 16" wide or less and ordered 1 seat to see how it fits. I can fit in it okay but it is just a little bit snug. A 17" seat would be much more comfortable especially on longer trips. My question is would it be very noticeable from a cosmetic point of view if I put the 16" seat in the passenger side and bought a 17" seat for the drivers side? My wife would rarely if ever drive the car and if she did I could stand the 16" seat for as long as she could stand to drive. I could send it back but i'm trying to save the hassle of getting it to Fedex plus the $50 shipping.

Steven

· Registered
2,302 Posts
PLUS.... if you have the handbrake in the stock location, the 16" will be perfect for the passenger side. The 17" we installed on that side gets in the way of the E brake and we cant pull all the way up on it.

· Registered
98 Posts
I installed a 17" on the drivers side and a 16" on the passenger side. Worked great and I would challenge anyone to spot the difference. Also installed seat heaters under custom leather seat covers. Because I am tall, I had the upholsterer add a little foam at the front edge to lift my legs up a bit. Whole thing turned out great.

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm glad you pointed that out about the e-brake. I never even thought of that problem. Now, how about an 18" on the drivers side with a 16" on the passengers? My ass gets bigger every day! I believe the 17" will work fine but if the 18" is even more comfortable I may as well use it. What do you guys think about 18" matched with a 16"?
How did you all bolt your seat down? Did you use tracks or just bolt it straight thru the bottom? I'm 6'5" about 230. I would rather leave it on the floor if I can. I can make an angled bracket to go under the front on both sides if necessary.

Steven

· Registered
1,029 Posts
My 18" Kirkey's are not installed yet but they will fit between the seat belt mounting tabs. ( on a Mark III )
Jon D.

· Registered
2,302 Posts
i ended up buying the kirkey brackets. I just did not see any other way around it, other then making the same part. I wanted to mount them to the floor, but the seat felt much better at an angle. So i needed the brackets. They worked great and look nice. The price was not nice... But whatever.

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i ended up buying the kirkey brackets. I just did not see any other way around it, other then making the same part. I wanted to mount them to the floor, but the seat felt much better at an angle. So i needed the brackets. They worked great and look nice. The price was not nice... But whatever.
Which brackets did you use? The weld together ones or the sliders?

· Registered
563 Posts
If u use a seat slider, mount those parallel to trans tunnel. Then mount seat straight to car (at angle to tracks). That way, you can slide all the way forward or backward without worrying about hitting tunnel or e-brake.

· Registered
2,302 Posts

· Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Steven, I think you'll find that at 6'5" you'll want the Kirkeys as low as possible - bolted directly to the floor. Sliders will raise the seat and you'll have to clean bug guts off your forehead. I like the idea of a 16" seat on the passenger side for E-brake clearance but keep your wife away from the donuts.
Pete

· Registered
2,382 Posts
I used an 18" Kirkey pro drag in my MKIII. It just fits all the way back on the drivers side. I mounted mine to the Breeze steel seat bases. I mounted the seats through the bottom with bolts, aluminum spacers, and large steel fender washers. Mark will sell you two steel bases w/out sliders if you order over the phone.

Good luck - Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.