Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
18,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it's time for a new drivers seat. The original Cobra Clubman is looking pretty ratty.

I like the Cobra Clubman seat. It works well at the track, it's comfortable for a long road trip, easy to get in and out of, and looks good. The easy thing to do is simply buy another one and bolt it in. But, in another 5-6 years, I'll be right back at the same place, with a worn out ugly looking seat. And that leads me to be looking at other options.

I don't really want a road racing seat. It would be nice to have on track week ends. But the rest of the time it would be an annoyance.

The idea of a snap on cover is pretty appealing. It can be removed for cleaning. And when it wears out It can be easily replaced.

My biggest concern is ease of entry. So looking at the hip and thigh bolsters on Kirkey seats has me a bit concerned.

I am seriously considering the drag seats. The Pro-Drag is a good looking seat, and has an angled bottom pan. That should make it pretty comfortable, especially with that nicely padded cover. As I understand it, that's a Vintage seat with a head rest welded on.

Kirkey Racing - Browse Products

I am also considering the Economy Drag, This is currently my #1 choice, mostly because of the lower sides. But it has a flat bottom, and sometimes that's not very comfortable.

Kirkey Racing - Browse Products

Trimming down the side supports on the outside should not be that difficult, especially with the economy drag seat. Then some quick work with a sewing machine to modify the cover.

I know a couple of people here used the Economy Drag and Pro Drag seats. How do they fit you? What's comfort level on an all day drive? And how easy is entry and exit?

· FFCobra Captain
11,721 Posts
I had the low-back ones and recently swapped them out for the FFR seats. Here are my thoughts:

***Trimming down the side supports on the outside should not be that difficult, especially with the economy drag seat. Then some quick work with a sewing machine to modify the cover.

Can you weld aluminum? The edges are rounded, so you'd need to be able to weld something there...otherwise, you'll probably rip through the seat covers pretty quickly.

***How do they fit you?
They have different widths available, so you can pick what fits you.

****What's comfort level on an all day drive?
Not really. I found the lumbar support very lacking. You could probably fix that by adding some extra foam to the seats so it feels better. An upholstery shop would probably be able to put some contoured padding in the seat for you.

*****And how easy is entry and exit?
Not horrible, but it is a bit of work.
To get it, I would step in the car...put my butt against the back of the seat...then slide down into sitting position.

To get out, the easiest way for me was to pushup on the sides of the seat so I could stand in the car..then step out. If you're a big guy, you might need a removable steering wheel to do that.

My daughter (age 15) really didn't like the seats at all...not comfortable for her. She's my most frequent passenger, so I changed them out. I might have considered modifying the padding to make them more comfortable otherwise, but the cost was probably going to be in the same ballpark to have a shop do it right...so I bought the FFR seats at the Black Friday sale.

· Registered
919 Posts
Bob, I'll be watching this thread with a keen eye.

FYI: you may also want to look at Ultrashieldrace.com they make seats in TX much like the Kirkeys. CraigS has their Pro Road Race seat and he really likes it. I am considering their Spec Miata…without the shoulder wings, it sells for $267 and includes the snap on cover. It looks a lot like the Kirkey Drag seat.

Jack

· Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Bob,
I have the Pro Drag seat and love it. It's very comfortable (to me), keeps me firmly planted, it gives me more leg room than the original FFR seats and I really like the neck support that a high back seat gives.

I've only done one track event and don't have any other seats to compare to, but it sure seemed to work for me.

I considered the econo drag seats but didn't want the flat bottom. The Pro Drag seat is pretty easy to get in and out of. To get out, I just put my hands on the sides and lift up.

They do make a bolt on shoulder support that I'm considering just for track events.

· Premium Member
18,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob, I'll be watching this thread with a keen eye.

FYI: you may also want to look at Ultrashieldrace.com .

Jack

Funny you should mention that Spec Miata seat. I was looking at that one last night. I'm also looking at their drag seat. It looks very similar to the Kirkey, but the side bolsters are a lot smaller - more like the Clubman seat in shape. It's hard to tell about the sizes, though. Ultrashield doesn't publish specs like other seat makers do.

Bob,
I have the Pro Drag seat and love it. It's very comfortable (to me), keeps me firmly planted, it gives me more leg room than the original FFR seats and I really like the neck support that a high back seat gives.

I've only done one track event and don't have any other seats to compare to, but it sure seemed to work for me.

I considered the econo drag seats but didn't want the flat bottom. The Pro Drag seat is pretty easy to get in and out of. To get out, I just put my hands on the sides and lift up.

They do make a bolt on shoulder support that I'm considering just for track events.
That's encouraging. I'm not that concerned about the cost - they're all pretty close to the same price, and cheaper than a Clubman. But I want a comfortable long distance seat that will hold me in place on the track, but be easy to get in and out of. Yes, I want it all!

Looking at the pictures and specs, I'm thinking the side bolsters on the Kirkey might be a little too big. That shouldn't be a big deal, though. I don't have to meet SFI certification, so I can change the shape of those fairly easily. There's a thread around here somewhere on how to do that for the GTM.

Also, I would expect to add some additional padding and a lumbar support for road trips.

When I find a seat I like, I'll buy a second one for the passenger side. But if she's not happy......

· Premium Member
7,232 Posts
you'll appreciate the wings on the RR Intermediates when you're on the track, and they don't make ingress/egress any more difficult. You may have to pinch them in a little to clear the cockpit wall.

I use the side bolsters on mine to push on when I'm getting in/out, and find it very easy. If you're used to plopping your butt in the seat and then swinging your legs in, you're out of luck. ;)

Make sure you install some kind of seat-back brace. The seats will feel very solid without one, but they WILL flex enough to rub the rear cockpit wall w/o one if you're running sticky tires.

:beer:

· FFCobra Craftsman
26,000 Posts
As mentioned I am very happy w/ my Ultrashield. The shoulder wings are much better than the Kirkey as they bend around your shoulder enough that you are leaning on a near perpendicular surface. Since I have a hardtop, in/out was an issue for me. I bent down the thigh support area to approx 2/3 height and shortened the rib supports about 1.5 inches.

Ultrashield was happy to sell me 3 three foot sections of the extrusion they use to trim the edges. I have a tig so it was easy to modify for me. But,even if you need to have someone else weld, it wouldn't be a big expense. they tend to do 1.5 inch weld beads where they are needed. You could easily do any mods you want, cut and fit the edge trim, and then take the seat to a welder and have the beads done in about 10 minutes.
Ultra-Shield Race Products
If you look at the pics here, the Rally Sport seat has wings like a Kirkey, while the Pro Road Race that I have has very different wing design. I don't rely on the rib supports at all, just lean against the wings. Running autocross, I rarely use any more than just the lap belt, they are that good. Comfort depends 90% on the cushion under your butt. The cushion the seat came w/ is fine but I have added a one inch thick piece behind the holes for the sub belts. this was more to increase the layback angle a little than to get more cushion. BTW, go w/ the 20 deg layback. I know you do a lot of track events and strongly suggest you invest in one of these seats as a safety measure that will also improve your driving.

· Premium Member
18,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a good looking seat, and it looks comfortable. I never thought of simply bending the bolsters over, I was thinking of cutting and trimming. What kind of seat cover do you have?

I think I'm liking the Ultrashield more than the Kirkey. Maybe a Rally Sport for me, and a drag seat for her. I never drive over 90% with any passenger.

· Senior Charter Member
1,017 Posts
One gotcha on the Ultra-Shield Spec Miata seats that just about bit me. A couple of local members have them, and I was really hot after them. But, the upholstery has changed, and they now have a bare aluminum strip where the seat belt shoulder harnesses pass through. According to the folks I spoke with at Ultra-Shield, this made the seats more compatible with the HANS-type devices. But, they no longer produce a "full upholstery" cover.

I didn't like the look of the bare aluminum splitting up the fabric above and below it. Yes, I could have had a custom cover made, modified them myself, etc. etc., but that was one more step that I decided I didn't want to do. YMMV, and JMHO. :)

· Registered
2,639 Posts
I have a pair of 17" Pro drags. I find them very comfortable. Granted my car isn't done yet, but I always sit in them in the garage when doing wiring, small parts, etc. I sat in both the Pro Drag and Economy at the Summit racing that is local to me. The Pro Drag definitely cradles you and keeps you in the seat a lot, and that's just stationary. I'm 6'2" and 230 w/ a 36" waist and the 17" seat holds me very well.

· Senior Charter Member
2,836 Posts
Another option: Replace Clubman seats with Clubman seats. The Cobra Seat company made the FFR Street Performer seats for Factory Five. I've been communicating with them recently and have learned that when FFR spec'd the seats they specified a lesser quality material that's not as durable and more prone to fading.

They offer a new Clubman seat that supposedly is already bent and shaped to fit a Cobra replica. They're $399 each. Cobra Clubman Seats at Sube Sports - The Racing Equipment Source

FYI, if your seats are just faded to a ugly shade of purple, but otherwise in good condition, you can use fabric spray paint from the auto parts store. I did, they turned out great and didn't bleed onto my clothes at all.

· Premium Member
18,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One gotcha on the Ultra-Shield Spec Miata seats that just about bit me. A couple of local members have them, and I was really hot after them. But, the upholstery has changed, and they now have a bare aluminum strip where the seat belt shoulder harnesses pass through.
I noticed that in the pictures. I thought it looked a little goofy, and sort of turned me off to that seat, even though I do like the size and shape.

The other thing I noticed about Ultrashield is the side bolsters are uncovered. The edge has that alum round welded to it, so there's no danger of cutting or abrasion. But I'd bet that alum get's dang hot in the summer sun! I'd have to cover that with something.

I have a pair of 17" Pro drags.
I really like the look of the Kirkey pro drag, I think. Maybe. I'v looked through your build thread, and the only picture of the seat is without the roll bar and windshield. It definatly looks too tall.

I think for street driving it would be almost the perfect seat. But the lack of shoulder bolster could be a problem on the track. I'm still considering it, though. There's a lot of things I like about it.

Another option: Replace Clubman seats with Clubman seats.
My seats are looking pretty ratty. The seams are splitting and the stuffing is coming out. The plastic trim parts around the seat belts is also broken.

My first thought was to simply replace them with new Clubman Cobra seats. Simple bolt in, comfortable, no problems. But I also know that in 6-7 years, I'll be right back at the same place, with ratty looking seats. That's why I'm considering the other seats, that have a replacable cover. I can have a "new" seat for $100 or so.

· Registered
2,639 Posts
I really like the look of the Kirkey pro drag, I think. Maybe. I'v looked through your build thread, and the only picture of the seat is without the roll bar and windshield. It definatly looks too tall.
For reference. Forgot which member's pic this is:

· Registered
2,382 Posts
Hey - thats my car! Thanks Clemson, seeing others post pics of your car never gets old. I LOVE my Pro Drag. I have about a thousand miles on it and I am very happy with the choice. I did add 1" of dense upholstery foam along the bottom, and up the back to the shoulders. I attached this right to the shell, and the cover still fits great. I also installed seat heaters. I plan to add another inch of foam in a strip as a lumbar pad this winter.

I am a big guy and I needed the extra space of the Kirkey. I could not fit in some of the seats you are looking at, so your mileage may vary - Good luck.

· Premium Member
18,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very nice! As I suspected, with the windshield and roll bar in place, the seat visually fits the way it's supposed to.

Scott, could ask for a favor? Could I see a picture from the side, with the door open? I want to see how it compares to the Clubman, and how much I might need to cut it down.

Last night I sent an e-mail to UltraShield, asking about dimensions. I got the information back already! That's a fast reply.

Seat Dimensions: Rally Sport

Width at Base is 5/8" Wider than size ordered i.e. 16" = 16 5/8" outer dimension Width at shoulders is 6 inches wider than size ordered i.e. 16" = 22" at shoulders outside.
Seat bottom depth is 16" and leans back from the bottom to the shoudler area another 3.5 inches on a 20º seat or 1.5" on a 10º seat Seat height is 20º = 33" 10º = 34.5"

You should have no troubles in a Factory Five Roadster, but if you need more dimensions of the seat please let me know Thank you Customer Service Ultra•Shield Race Products, LLC
19313 US Highway 69 S
Flint, TX 75762
903-894-3550
Ultra-Shield Race Products

· FFCobra Craftsman
26,000 Posts
On my Ultrashield there is more aluminum showing than normal. Usually the uncovered area is only a little wider than the belt webbing. I put an extra inch of foam under my butt so that made the cover have too much fabric at the bottom of the back. My solution was to slide the fabric cover forward at the sides. I just redrilled the pop rivet holes for the snaps. BTW the cover is the one that comes w/ the seat. One of the main reasons I went w/ an aluminum seat vs fiberglass is the ease of reshaping it as I wanted. It's much harder to do in glass and most glass seats have a very fitted cover.

· Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Bob,
These aren't very good pictures, but they might give you an idea how the Pro Drags look with a full bar like you have.

· Premium Member
18,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like that look with the full roll bar. I'll put those seats on my short list. Thanx for the photos.

· Registered
2,382 Posts
Here is a better picture of the seat base. This is the best one I have. I will try to take a shot through the open door over the weekend.

· FFCobra Craftsman
26,000 Posts
One thing I noticed about the Kirkeys is the relationship of the various seats. If you print out the shop drawings for each it makes it easy to see the similiarities. Probably didn't happen this way but start w/ the classic bucket
http://www.kirkeyracing.com/related/Related Files/Shop Drawings/41300V-Shop-Drawing.gif
then add a headrest and you have one of the drag seats (economy here)
http://www.kirkeyracing.com/related/Related Files/Shop Drawings/16400-Shop-Drawing.gif
then add shoulder wings and you have the intermediate roadrace
http://www.kirkeyracing.com/related/Related Files/Shop Drawings/47300-Shop-Drawing.gif
Makes sense for them from a production standpoint and helpful to us too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.