Factory Five Racing Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
it's only dumb if you don't know how to fly a plane.
then again, I started building my MK4 before I new how to drive a manual transmission...
Well I haven't finished my PPL yet, but this opportunity arose and it should be ideal for my application. It needs work like everything in my life but it's not too far out.

Phil

·
Junior Charter Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Alright, so I promised I would be back. Just been very busy hemorrhaging money on the plane. Since that's a little on hold; might as well get some car stuff done.

So, when my dad was still alive one small project we started was a battery box. Yes I am aware they sell them at various sources. He liked sheet metal stuff so we did one.
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Fixture

I had been procrastinating the hold downs.

Gesture Finger Thumb Gas Wrist

I machined the buttons at the bottom from some scrap 7075 and the bolt is a tube that has two 1.5" long bolt that I machined the heads round. One end is 1/4-28 the other 1/4-20. I could not find fine thread wing nuts.

Wood Automotive exterior Gas Table Bumper

The bobbins interface with this keyed hole.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Just need to pick up some wing nuts and washers. Might make a v block shaped washer.. Undecided.

phil

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Sky

As I mentioned this has been eating up alot of my time. The airplane project is 400 miles from my home and I drive there to work on it. It has not flown in 16 years so it's taking a very extensive process to make it airworthy again. The plan is to get it mobile and get it home to FL then I can breath a little easier. I think I'm 2months away from that first taste of success.

·
Junior Charter Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Been slinging hard on the airplane. So far 10x trips 880mi to get there. So close now I can't wait. Then back to regularly scheduled programming on the cobra.

Still pondering a brake fluid resivor. I bought the super short Tilton but it just doesn't fit anyplace. That whole area of the car seems to become spaghetti and I'm really trying to not do that.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
man, that's dedication. buying a plane 400mi away that hasn't flown in over a decade?! hopefully you'll have it up in the air soon and hangared closer to home.
I can't remember, do you have a brake booster? if not, make a bracket to hang on the 3/4" frame just in front of the DS footbox. Just keep it something like 12" from the footbox wall to avoid issues w/ the hood strut and keep the caps under the top of the frame.

·
Junior Charter Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
man, that's dedication. buying a plane 400mi away that hasn't flown in over a decade?! hopefully you'll have it up in the air soon and hangared closer to home.
I can't remember, do you have a brake booster? if not, make a bracket to hang on the 3/4" frame just in front of the DS footbox. Just keep it something like 12" from the footbox wall to avoid issues w/ the hood strut and keep the caps under the top of the frame.
Good point on the hood struts. Will need to look into that.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts