Factory Five Racing Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Minor update:

A single Gas-n side pipe weighs 16lb
An FFR radiator weighs 14lb no fan or shroud.

Cut off the FFR upper brackets and put in the rivnuts for the radiator mount. Did I need this many holes? No. The hinge I had laying around on the metal rack had this hole pattern. It didn't seem excessive until I started drilling. Oh well.

Here is the radiator installed with the eight hundred bolts. That sure didn't save any weight.

Next action is starting to pop holes for all the tin. I moved the old Roper Whitney 34 out of the corner with the forklift and ordered a set of tiny dies to be able to punch the holes. Test showed super tight fit and no deformation. Should really speed up the process. Takes about 1 second to pop a hole and the force is almost zero. ( On me ). Notice the paint stick is in the handle slot. This is a 6 ton mechanical punch with a big steel handle that is heavy. This wooden stick is weightless and should improve my speed. I also need to mop.

Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
good progress. I'm loving the water bottle on one tire and the Johnny black on the other.

·
Junior Charter Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
A rancidly humid night in Florida and my shop is not conditioned. I am punching panels for the next stage of my construction.

Obviously everyone does this at some point and I would assume we normally drill these holes. I have chosen to not do that. Center punching and drilling probably takes at least 15 seconds a hole and deburing after adds something. I have chosen to simply punch the holes because I can. It makes perfect round holes with no burr.

Punching takes just a second or two a hole and fits tight. I clamp the layout guide factory five provided to the part and line the punch up and go. No marking, no center punching, no drilling, no deburing. It's still taking some time but less or better right?

Phil

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
You still need to drill where the panels overlap and also the frame, correct?

·
Junior Charter Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
One of my two sheet metal projects. Extend the footbox all the way to the tunnel and remove the hard angle inside the car by your knee. This Rev1 part had the flange in the back too high as you can see. Rev 2 tomorrow I hope.

·
Junior Charter Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Decided to really go custom on the heater system. This is just a template of the firewall.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

This side will house the plenum with the mixing damper for defrost and foot heat. Firewall is pushed out 1.5" toward the engine.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Red ABS part is just a template for the real thing housing the heater core. I was originally going to attach the fan right to it, but I've decided to move the fan over the footbox and connect it with scat tube.

Gas Motor vehicle Kitchen appliance Gas stove Automotive tire

I wanted to seal the engine airbox to the hood so I built this box. I had to drop the floor as you see to clear the valve covers.

Tire Light Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire

I also shortened the water neck and dropped the coolant tank so it would clear the hood. I do not have a distributor so I moved it back as well.

This has been keeping me busy and when. I have the full hear system ready it will finally be time to nail this all together for the last time.

Phil

·
Junior Charter Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Machined the bottom of the intake out to build the PCV system under it similar to the LSX. I plan to tap into the heater cross over to get hot water to the back and prevent a sloppy mess of heater hose.

BTW this saved about 3lb of weight.

Hood Bumper Tool Automotive exterior Vehicle

Phil

·
Junior Charter Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Started the part of the project I didn't want to do from before I bought the car. I hate making brake lines. Always have. It's so much planning and thought for something so simple. The execution isn't that hard but the pre-work isn't fun. Some people like plumbing: I'm not that guy.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

This was my solution on the driver side.
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Rim Automotive design

Passenger side.
Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Motorcycle

This mess in here I don't want to talk about yet. I'm not sure exactly how I will get fluid into the Masters and the have the reservoir above it. I know that's not "required" but I'm still trying..

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Bicycle handlebar

Maybe I will be more motivated this week to run more lines..

·
Junior Charter Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
This weekend I wanted to finish the ignition coil bracket design; I had been planning to use D585 gm coils since they are plentiful. I also considered using the new Ford 7.3 gas coils but simply could not get any.
Automotive design Wood Automotive exterior Font Guitar accessory

I realize this might look a bit weak but with the coils bottled to it it's stronger than it needs to be.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

Here is a mock up with super long bolts. I will make some spacers next to finish the job.

·
Junior Charter Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Here is the finished mount I machined for the belt tensioner. Tensioner is 94-95 mustang pulley is from a late model LSx GM engine. It is grooved instead of smooth. The bracket consists of a water jet cut plate and a 3" machined slug that accepts the pin from the back of the tensioner and keeps it from rotating.

Drinkware Automotive tire Bottle Gas Wood

·
Junior Charter Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Love your updates Phil. I'm always amazed and impressed! Thanks for taking us along on your journey :cool:

Jeff

Jeff,
Thanks. Sometimes it's hard to keep motivated chipping away at the huge stack of work. My shop is about an 1:20 round trip and sometimes I get there and it's late and I just don't feel like working, but of I don't it will never get done. One day we will have to talk paint, but I'm a little far away. It was good to meet you and your wife at London and thanks for everything.

Phil

·
Junior Charter Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Sky Vehicle Aircraft Cloud Airplane

I know I've been a bit quiet lately. I have gotten a little distracted by another thing.. The cobra isn't going away, I just had to take an opportunity that was open to me. I bought an airplane.

I know that sounds dumb and on some levels it is; more to come.

Phil

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
View attachment 366678

I know I've been a bit quiet lately. I have gotten a little distracted by another thing.. The cobra isn't going away, I just had to take an opportunity that was open to me. I bought an airplane.

I know that sounds dumb and on some levels it is; more to come.

Phil
it's only dumb if you don't know how to fly a plane.
then again, I started building my MK4 before I new how to drive a manual transmission...

41 - 60 of 67 Posts