Factory Five Racing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Cool, this thread turned into an RPG. :)

·
Junior Charter Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Well its been a bit since I have posted. I have had a lot of things going on, but it probably needs to be said that my fathers health declined. We worked less on the car until he finally passed away in the early hours of September 24th 2020 at 74 years old. His cancer spread to a condition that was unrecoverable and things progressed very rapidly. His stay in the hospital was less than 4 days.

I have been working on catching up at my job, and all the other things that one must do in times like these. I wish things were different, I wish I started sooner, and I wish he could be there to see it. I knew this day was coming, but I never knew it would be so soon. If you are reading this thinking you will one day do a project like this, or any similar venture. Stop reading this and start now; tomorrow is never guaranteed for any of us. Ask yourself what you can do to go forward and stop looking back. There is nothing important back there.

Irrespective of the things I cannot change, the car gave us something to talk about when times were silent and I'm thankful for that. We have a plan, and I will continue on.

Tonight I just when to the shop and stared at this pile of parts and wondered how I could have done things differently knowing before starting there was no answer to be found. Continue on alone is something I have not done, that guy was always there to help. Sometimes it sure didn't feel like help at all, but I would be a liar if I said I didn't miss it now.

Philip

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,759 Posts
I wish the best for you and your family. Even though your Dad won't be there for the drive I am thinking you will think of him every time you hop in and fire it up.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Well its been a bit since I have posted. I have had a lot of things going on, but it probably needs to be said that my fathers health declined. We worked less on the car until he finally passed away in the early hours of September 24th 2020 at 74 years old. His cancer spread to a condition that was unrecoverable and things progressed very rapidly. His stay in the hospital was less than 4 days.

I have been working on catching up at my job, and all the other things that one must do in times like these. I wish things were different, I wish I started sooner, and I wish he could be there to see it. I knew this day was coming, but I never knew it would be so soon. If you are reading this thinking you will one day do a project like this, or any similar venture. Stop reading this and start now; tomorrow is never guaranteed for any of us. Ask yourself what you can do to go forward and stop looking back. There is nothing important back there.

Irrespective of the things I cannot change, the car gave us something to talk about when times were silent and I'm thankful for that. We have a plan, and I will continue on.

Tonight I just when to the shop and stared at this pile of parts and wondered how I could have done things differently knowing before starting there was no answer to be found. Continue on alone is something I have not done, that guy was always there to help. Sometimes it sure didn't feel like help at all, but I would be a liar if I said I didn't miss it now.

Philip
Sorry Phil my prayers go out to you and your family.

·
Junior Charter Member
981 Posts
Sorry for your loss.
Look after yourself.

A project car is a great distraction in times of loss. I bought my FFR as therapy after my brother passed away. It was very helpful to have a distraction at that time in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
I was lucky to get mine finished just in time, late 2019. By then, Dad wasnt able to take a ride in it, but I was able to take him down in a wheel chair to the basement carpark of the hospital to give a good look and listen. With some help he was able to stand freely whilst leaning on the front guard to get some photos of him with the car. He was a quiet guy with simple pleasures. The car really brightened him up. Rapid cancer took him at 74 as well.
Phil, it isnt easy, so thanks for sharing. Your dad will be along for the ride.

Regards,

Nigel

·
Registered
779 Posts
So sorry for your loss Phil. Your kind words about life made me pause. My 83 yo Dad stops by the office almost daily. Many times I am just too busy to listen to a play by play story of his work on a lawnmower or cleaning a fish pond. He will be gone soon. I need to cherish the days left and the stories.....no matter how many times I hear the same one! We are lucky to have wonderful Dads, may he rest in peace.

·
Junior Charter Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
More mockup:

How did I live so long without a forklift? Best high rise workbench ever. I climed in that way too.

I know the steering shaft isn't exactly correct. Just getting a feel for it's location. Looks like all this crap I already had is going to work. This is the ole' "if it fits it ships" deal in action.

I want shorter valve covers so I can mount the coil near plug coils there. Next I need to look at that.

·
Junior Charter Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Today was an okay day. Not as much progress as I would have liked but something is suppose is better than nothing:

Here is the brake duct adapters I made to fit 94-04 spindles.

Here is my test fit with a couple of options. A bolt through bump steer conversion which is common on mustangs. Also with SAI mod upper adapter.

Also wanted to check and see if the FFR spindle adapter worked. I didn't design around this part, but it fit anyway.

Finally this is what I was really after. I made these Wilwood adapters in the past to put FSL calipers on a mustang for a lot less money than common kits out there. I used a standard 13" cobra rotor as well. My mustang race car eats these, and I burn up the cheap centric rotors that cost $25 ( used to be $13 ). The bracket shown here is a lot like the CMCparts.com bracket that is no longer sold. That said its not a copy as I have never owned that item. This bracket I cut from some scrap titanium, but that is in no way necessary. The calipers I had, but new ones are ~$190 each from Summit.

Plenty of clearance to my 95 Cobra R wheel so internal wheel weights can be used.

On the plus side my low buck big brake kit worked just as well on the FFR as it did on the mustang I did before. ( no reason it would not ).

With this project complete, the next is making my own quick release adapter to shorten the Russ Thompson turn signal system.

·
Junior Charter Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Minor update before heading out to the London show.

Made a switch panel support on the water jet for the Lucas switches so they could not rotate. Each Lucas part number seems to have a slightly different diameter. I observed that when making this for the best fit.

I had previously mocked up the tilton pedals on the ffr bracket. It's pivot is actually 1/2" closer to the firewall than the wilwoods.

The pedal interferes with the support just like others have experienced. So, I made the part below to insert into the frame for the windshield. The flat area is for a pedal stop to be integrated.

Phil

·
Junior Charter Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
I sorta had a goal in my mind that I wanted the roadster to be 2000lb no driver no fuel. I know that goal is hard, but possible depending on how far you are willing to go.

So its time to weigh this turd to see where we are. ( weight weenies rejoice )

Here is the weight at 1107lb. This includes a lot of stuff like sheet metal, suspension, brakes, wipers, heat, electrical parts, wiring, ecu, pedals, power steering pump, alternator, steering wheel, carbon dash, brake line, and on. This is everything less engine, trans, driveshaft, fuel and cooling systems. I would have weighed it all, if I actually had it. but I am missing the radiator for example.

Here is my nemesis. The iron 351 that the internet doesn't seem to know how much it actually weighs. Here is a chance to correct BS on the internet. This is 164lb no cam bearings, no freeze plugs, no main bolts. Casting is an F4TE roller block. It does not weigh 100lb more than a 302.

But, But But, the 302 is 80! no 100lb lighter!! That is a load of crap. A roller 302 weighs 124lb no cam bearings, no freeze plugs, but with main bolts. Unless ten half inch bolts magically weigh 40-50lb the block is simply not that heavy. Does the 351 have a heavier crank? Well stock for stock, yes its quite clunky. Not stock, depends on your wallet. An entire stroker 351 crank is 54lb. If the 351 is really 80 heavier then the 302 crank can only weigh 14lb. The real difference is likely closer to 50-60lb for anything you would actually build.

Using the scale, a lot of sweating and a spreadsheet for everything I could weigh. Getting to the 2000lb goal is going to be basically impossible without some serious changes in my setup. I will be at least 150lb over weight, not counting the things that seem to creep in like glue, extra hardware, and wire. ( though I weighed the wire. ).

Some basic data I had not seen before:

Body, bare shell 96.5lb
Body, with doors trunk,hood, scoop, and northcobras defrost plenum 138lb
TKO 3550-II ( old tko ) with midshift, fluid, and tilton hydraulic release bearing. 106lb
A 225 hoosier vs a 275 nitto NT05 on a 95 cobra R wheel is 43 vs 49.5lb. ( the 225 hoho is basically the same width, the sizes do not make sense if this is news to you. )
A denso alternator is 4.5lb lighter than a ford 130a big case 3G.
One iron GT40p head, 100% stock no valves or hardware is 44.5lb
One iron 351c 4v closed chamber head, no work, valves, or hardware is 51.5lb!!
One Canfield 192 ( a light head ) is only 24.5lb with 11/32 valves, steel retainers, dual springs, guide plates, and studs!
A Cleveland A3 (c302b) type head is 26.5lb totally bare. For an aluminum head its a porker. You have to pay for that 400cfm flow.
The 351 super victor EFI intake manifold is stupid heavy. 24.5lb with fuel rails and injectors, no throttle body. The same weight as a light cylinder head! That is offensive. We will be cutting this thing up for sure.
FFR low back seats 15lb/ea.

Surprises:

Seats are lighter than I thought, intake is way heavier than expected. Light wheels cannot be ignored. Lithium car batteries seem crazy expensive until you divide the cost of other options by their weight.

Best weight values:

Enki RPF1 wheels on hoosiers save 52lb!!!!!! 52lb that is turning cannot be ignored. ( this would be less on street tires )
A lithium battery is the best weight/dollar out there. 20lb cab be saved, but they are not cheap.

The plan:

Evaluate aluminum 351 I already own. This is a bad financial idea. Its a big bore, tiny main journal, titanium rod motor. Its expensive and unnecessary, and I will probably do it anyway because I cant get the idea out of my head.

Phil

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Excellent info....I don't think I've anyone else put forth info like this, at least not all in one place.
Consider doing a wiring harness diet. There are a lot of wires i did not use that could have been stripped from the loom. I could also stand to lose #20 which would make my car that much faster 😁

I used to ride road bikes and it always cracks me up to see someone drop serious cash on all carbon fiber components which cost a boat load when they really need to lose #10, which would more than outweigh the grams they're shaving off by switching to a carbon fiber water bottle cage.

·
Junior Charter Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Consider doing a wiring harness diet.
I'm way past dating on that. The only thing behind the dash is one 22x8 conductor cable. Everything else will be super small 20-22awg aviation wire, and where absolutely required larger. I personally already lost 20 lbs, but I could stand more for sure. My all time low ( high school ) would be 60 less than I was when fattest.. 40 less than I am today.

I was working on a Piper Cherokee airplane today. The entire functional plane weighs 73lb more than my car with no engine, trans, or body. Puts into perspective how light GA planes are flying over your heads every day. ( of course they weigh more with fuel and people, than I stated ).

Philip

·
Junior Charter Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Got around to cutting the chassis to install the pedal stop and clearance notch. Looks a little strange but I liked it better than cutting the tube and offsetting it with a second tube.

Also tried some different wheels on the car to check caliper clearance.

The Enki RPF1 is not my favorite look but these are 51lb lighter on slicks as a set then the Cobra R wheels. I can't walk away from 25lbs of weight savings and 51 on slicks. That's just an amazing amount

21 - 40 of 67 Posts