Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been meaning to put up something on this for a few weeks now. I’m sure I will have questions and I feel it’s customary for everyone to say something about their story.

Let’s start with the basic who am I

My name is Phil and I'm a controls Engineer from Florida. I have a certainly diverse background in cars, machining, electrical, and mechanical engineering. I maintain a lead role at a medical manufacturing company that produces equipment and entire facilities for drug research and development. Ive been doing that for about 14 years. It has lead me all over the world to experience new and often comical problems with virtually any mechanical or electrical system. As I person I feel I have no excuse to blame my background for any failures in this endeavor.

My car hobbies have lead me to build several fox body fords, engines, transmissions and so on. I have some limited racing experience, granted I’m not fast or good at it, but I have at least tried. I’m surrounded by like-minded folks who race regularly in Chump, NASA, and so on. I own a car for Chump myself, of which could probably be competitive if I didn’t suck at driving it. There is no shortage of “struggle enthusiasts” to talk to.

What’s my story? Why build any kit car?

Well, this car isn’t really for “me” at all. About two months ago I found out my dad, Ray, has terminal liver cancer. Beyond the fact that he is my father, he is easily my best friend in the world. Always there, always helping, and has virtually never let me down in my ~38 years of life. While he is a tremendous ball buster and we fight just like Fred and Lamont Sanford much of our time, I can’t imagine any other way. Building this car is really a project for him rather than myself. I don’t particularly care about what we build, I just want him to have some fun. He isnt really into fox bodies, so I suggested this timeless looking car.

Why the cobra roadster?

I would be a liar if I said I don’t find the cars appealing. When I was 13 my Grandfather, Father, and myself considered building one and my grandfather passed away from lung cancer. He built tons of cars before I existed, but we never did one together. When my dad retired from his job a few years ago I really wanted to surprise him with a FFR 33’. I eventually had to tell him, but he just wasn’t ready to do it then. Right now today I have the means to do this, granted I missed a chance with my Grandfather as a boy but as a man I will not miss this time.

Let this at least sink in for someone reading this.

Tomorrow is not a guarantee, do whatever it is that is your passion today. If you work towards it, you will get there no matter where your aspirations lie. One cannot ever expect to get to the top by simply looking up.

Now that he knows his time in life has a limit somewhere in the future he wants to go, do, and explore. Maybe to distract his mind, maybe just to check boxes he always wanted to. I don’t know.

Since COVID19 has been around basically everything is canceled. We can’t go to races, travel, explore, or do basically anything but sit around and watch the news drone on. I will forego the politics of that, or how that relates to my job. If someone wants to talk about that, I’m not doing that publicly on the internet.

I own ( with my business partner ) an industrial property where we have a small machine shop. Its open to me 24/7 and the stage is set to build something cool inside it. While this story makes me sound like a good guy with a dream and heart looking to do some fun stuff with my Dad, there are limitations in the real world. Time, money, and commitment come to mind.

I talked to FFR in secret about getting a kit to do this build for my dad. I didn’t tell him, and if FFR told me it was impossible I was going to swallow this idea down and never say anything. I spoke to David Brigham and he informed me this was possible. They had enough stuff in stock to get me a kit it short order as long as I took what they had. I cannot say enough about how cool FFR was, and I will never forget their genuine interest in trying to make that happen for me. No matter what they may say in the future, or what they may do that I don’t like; they have cemented, to me at least, they are good dudes.

I used Stewart transport and the delivery team was great. Getting a spot on the truck seemed impossible, and I was preparing to do 2500 miles in my F350 on Independence Day weekend, then be home for work on Monday. At practically the last minute Stewart confirmed they could haul to me 3rd in line and I took the opportunity.

What’s in a “name”

I have never, ever, in my life been a fan of naming cars. It always seemed too cliché’ to me. My current fleet of hoopties are identified by color. I have named a few vehicles and I have always treated this as a joke. The dually is the “King Raunch” because it’s a disgusting piece of garbage. The C5Z06 I used to have was the “Polymer Princess”. As you can see none of them have “Names” but comical monikers.

This Cobra does sort of have a name that just happened by accident. “King’s Cobra”. Why? It’s really a complex inside joke that my Father is identified as “King of Parkwood” by my friends. Since this car is for him it seems simple and my goal is time, this is what I'm calling it. No though space to waste of anything more.

Keep the goal in mind, always

I know the clock is ticking, and I have no idea when it stops. So, speed is key. I am making most of my decisions on time. Any way I can cut BS I plan to.

The Kit

I ordered a base kit deleting many of the options and components I knew I didn’t want to use, or already had.

It should not be misunderstood. I have more fox mustang stuff than most people should. I wanted to use as much of what I have to limit my cost. In the real world, I do not have infinite money. Trying to get my other business operational I have less than ever. I am by no means wealthy, lucky, or privileged. I have busted my ass for everything I have ever had. I am better for it, and I would not change it. (That includes 500+ hours of overtime a year, traveling the globe for the company, buying used and broken things and fixing them has always been my goto. I live mostly like a man from the 50s. I buy it used, wear it out, and fix it back. )

When this is done, there will be no mistake we earned it.

The Recipe

MKIV Base, 3 link, stroked 351, TKO, megasquirt, Racepak. Not an attempt at a cobra fake, not a matte black “resto mod” whatever the hell. Im going to generalize I will accept more "Race Car" than most.

What will I use this for after the build part is done?

That’s something I have thought about, and I don’t really know. Probably track days, OneLap, Autocross maybe. Perhaps it can teach me to be a better driver but with a 90” wheel base I doubt it. Once the goal is done, of building a car with my dad, nothing else actually matters.

part0_04.jpg

Philip

·
Junior Charter Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here is a quick look at my LF corner mock up.

94-95 SN95 mustang spindles.
SAI mod brackets ( Thanks again David )
Afco 3840 shocks
Wilwood superlights on my own brackets I designed for the ChumpCar. ( Owe a tip of the hat to CMCParts.com, but I did not copy their design, Ive never seen one in person )
Brake ducts are from Lambert Automotive, It seems they are gone. ( Wonder if I should remake these again? )

I also machined off a damaged FMS mustang driveshaft that the ends were still usable. Have not welded it until fit up.
Machined the SN95 spindles for a bolt through bump steer kit, Blasted them for paint tonight.

Yes as a unmarried man I put car parts, and paint cans on my kitchen counter. There is an engine block in the living room, and connecting rods in the hall closet where sophisticated people keep linens. I store car parts and may race suit in there.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Good luck on the build! Sounds like a great project for a great reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
398 Posts
It looks like you have plenty of room to work. I would definitely consider a car lift. Your dad will thank you.

·
Junior Charter Member
698 Posts
Sounds like a great project with your dad, good luck and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,309 Posts
This will be a fun build to watch. No detail needed but at least tell us what state you are in please.

·
Junior Charter Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did some mock up. This is a 9.5" deck 351 block, a super Victor efi intake and 4150 Holley. I plan to use an efi type throttle body but this was what I had for measurement. Air cleaner is 14x3 with a drop base.

My combo is about 1/2" too tall.

Carb is 3 3/16" flange to air cleaner register.
Edelbrock 29245 intake with thier fuel rails and standard EV1 injectors has 1 5/8 clearance to the bottom of a generic chrome drop base air cleaner.

So I could drop the air cleaner 1.5" before clearance to the fuel rails is an issue.

The short throttle body I'm considering saves 1.3" I can deck the manifold 0.25" with gaskets I should be right on the limit.

I should have 1/2-3/4" clearance to the base of the hood. What am I missing that people seem to have so many issues with a 351 in here?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,309 Posts
It's just because there are so many different combinations of intake parts. I have a Performer RPM (not air gap), a normal size QF carb and this
It all fits fine.

·
Junior Charter Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I machined some rack bushings that did not shift the rack forwards. I was concerned about giving up any ackermann and if the need was there I could flip the spacer to the other side and offset 0.285" back.

Everything with the bushings went fine but my passenger side chassis tab is a mile off.

No amount of turning the bushing is going to make up for the fact the alignment is off. Even without the rack bushing in there I can't get the bolt in even with a hammer.

Anyone experienced this level of misalignment? Should I open up the front hole to allow it to tip some. Or do I just cut the tab off the frame and move it to where it's actually straight?

Phil

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,309 Posts
I'd just open up the hole. You could tack weld a washer on the outside if you want but it's not really needed. The aluminum bushing gets clamped tightly between the mount plates so it's not going anywhere.

·
Junior Charter Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd just open up the hole. You could tack weld a washer on the outside if you want but it's not really needed. The aluminum bushing gets clamped tightly between the mount plates so it's not going anywhere.

I did totally consider the welded washer. It has held up on my foxbody racecar. I was pondering the heater tonight so I didn't mess with the rack mounts yet.

·
Junior Charter Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yesterday was rip the tko apart day. I wanted to mill it down and make it look nice so I removed the tail housing. Cutting the blobs of material off were more of a pain then I thought. My big boy bandsaw is waiting on parts so I had to use the little guy which well; sucked. I bought this trans in about 2001 and it was in my fox body. I worked all summer to save the money to buy it. Feels nice to give it a sentimental new life. (back they they were like $1100)

Being so old I found the original to won't accept the modern Midshift swap. I may have to make that too and I really don't want to.

Phil

Attachments

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,309 Posts
I'd skip the shifter swap. I know it looks weird but the lever FFR provides becomes second nature after about an hour driving.

·
Junior Charter Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd skip the shifter swap. I know it looks weird but the lever FFR provides becomes second nature after about an hour driving.
I'm more interested in the leverage loss. What's the effort like between the two?

·
Registered
6 Posts
This poster made a coherent post on another thread, so giving benefit of a doubt that this was posted to the wrong forum. Warning given.
Heavy duty engineering on lightweight armor is going to give you more bang for your buck. Not a huge deal though, as 200 armor is going to melt quick if your shields pop.
Swapped out shield gen for bi-weave with thermal resist, and swapped shield reinforcement engineering to resistance augmented. Stats for shield strength are similar now, but you cut the regen/recharge time by half. Also a bit less power hungry. You might even consider adding in an SCB, as i believe those can be used by multicrew as well.

192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 jpg to pdf

1 - 20 of 22 Posts