Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FFR Builder
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I wired up my kill switch and am not sure I did it correctly. The switch is wired through a relay. I wired the ignition leaving the relay to 87a. This means that the relay does not have to be energized for the car to run. My thought was that if the relay needs to be engized for the car to run a relay failure means that I am stranded. This all made sense to me until I started thinking of the kill switch in terms of theft protection (a thief will not have to supply power to the relay to make the car run). What are your thoughts?
Thanks,
Dave

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
Dave, I have the MSD6AL ignition. It has a seperate wire from the ignition box that shuts everything down when it is grounded. I rigged up a toggle switch that is hidden under the dash that I can just touch with the end of my finger that grounds it out and disables the ignition. I suppose there are some pros and cons to the relay idea but I kept it simple without the relay.

Mike M.

·
Premium Member
2,588 Posts
I used the same system as huckleberry, and my unlabeled toggle is right next to the ignition switch. I would not build one of these without it. Can also be used as a theft deterent switch if anyone wants to try to hotwire it.
Deald.

·
Premium Member
16,719 Posts

·
FFR Builder
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike, I just bought a MSD6AL. I didn't know it had that feature.
Cory, Do you have a schematic of this option? I don't quite understand the logic.
Thanks guys,
Dave

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
It is the WHITE wire that's slated for a use when a magnetic trigger is used but if you're going with a simple electric distributors, it can be used for this purpose; I believe it already has a female spade connector attached to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts