Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sell Mercedes in Boston, we just got our first SLR in for a customer...Sweet Car, the car is amazing. The front exiting pipes look real nice.

·
15,282 Posts
My old man has first option on the SLR, but is starting to see that the Carrera GT is an all-around better choice. Here's to wishing I could afford either:

Cheers, John

·
FFR 4331
1,114 Posts
Another unattainable car for 99% of the buying public. Great. Enjoy it. I wouldn't buy one even if I could afford it. Sorry if you don't like my response. Deal with it.

·
15,282 Posts
The Cobra was an unattainable car for 99% of the population until companies like FFR, Superformance, Backdraft, and others came along to change that. Sure, I doubt anyone is going to replicate an SLR or a Carrera GT or an Aston Martin Vanquish, but that's why they call it the off-topic area. I'm a car guy -- it's fun to look at 'em even when you can't buy 'em!

Plus, having a spot on the list for a car like that is always an investment -- with people paying $100k over sticker for a new Ford GT, guess what you could do if you had a spot on that list? I guess I just fail to see the point of that line of discussion.

And incidentally, I've got a slot on that Ford GT list, if my dealer buddy will get off the fence about whether to keep the car himself or not. It's mine to flip if he decides not to put it up in storage for his collection. :D

Cheers, John

·
FFR 4331
1,114 Posts
Good for you sport. See, that Duke education is paying off after all.

Make sure you post up some pics of your new GT. Couple of more tort cases and I guess it will be yours. I'm a car guy too and love to check out the latest iron from Detroit!

·
15,282 Posts
Unfortunately, there are a few *minor* factors that'll keep any of that iron out of my garage for a while yet. No tort cases for me -- I've got 5 semesters of law school left to go. When I'm done, I'll have to put food on the table, but right now I'm leaning toward my interest in public service or clinic work, at least for a good portion of what I wind up doing. I spent 6-7 years in "the grind," working the 80+ hour weeks for the supposed big-bucks. I'm not going back to that -- having time for myself and my family is WAY more important.

Two more particular issues. Being on a student budget for three years, don't I wish there could be a Ford GT in my garage! (The only reason I can keep my BMW is that I was smart enough to pay it off before I went back to school -- it's a budget stretch to finish up this comparatively cheap FFR for sure!) So, no money for me to be able to buy it outright, or even finance it.

Second, my dealer's allocation is at the very end of the Ford GT production run, so it'll be at least 12-24 months before it makes its way out of Detroit. I have a pretty strong hunch he'll wind up adding it to a small collection he keeps in a nondescript warehouse in the San Francisco area. If not, maybe he and I will conspire to make a buck or two on the sale. It is a special car, but to pay nearly double sticker for it is just absurd, if you ask me. I would ordinarily be opposed to that kind of a flip, but my economics background weighs in and says "sell it to the richest sucker." That's just me -- for those bucks, I'd be looking at several other machines first.

In any case, we've successfully hijacked this thread enough.
Does anyone know how many SLRs are on the ground in the U.S. yet? I've heard reports of a couple, but haven't passed any on the street yet. I have seen the Carrera GT and the new 997 here in Houston. A buddy of mine on the east coast was supposed to get the second Carrera GT to enter our borders, but I've lost touch with him -- will have to see if I can track him down to find out whether he took delivery or flipped it to make a few bucks.

There's a lot more to life than money, but it would be nice to have all that in the garage, wouldn't it? :D Again, the beauty of fantasizing in the off-topic forum!

Cheers, John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts