Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Manual arrived today and i just read/skimmed it. I can tell already that this website is going to be alot of help! There is more detail in tearing down the donor then putting the car together!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Dont sweat it.This thing is just like an oversized Jigsaw puzzle ;) .Take your time,think about what your doing and it will all come together.Dont forget when you are about to invent some new four letter words :mad: ,you can always post your questions here,and the odd are you'll get an answer :D .

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,021 Posts
I have yet to ask a question on this forum that I didn't get answer. In most cases I get between 10 and 20 answers - so I must be asking questions that everyone else has encountered as well.

The key is patience - and the willingness to take things apart and redo them if they're not right the first time. Like tyhey say in woodworking - measure twice, cut once. I've only got the front suspension on but my best advice is to read the manual twice, visualize it in your mind once, bolt it together loosely. look at it to make sure it looks right, and then bolt it down.

Good luck

·
Charter Member
140 Posts
I too agree about the manual, some things are not in depth or descriptive enough. But everyone here at the forum can give excellent information on how to, or a better way of doing something. I usually spend time searching past posts and printing them out.

Erich

·
Premium Member
18,086 Posts
It's really pretty simple. You take two parts and bolt them together. You do that about 10,000 times, and you have a car!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Stang8,

your previous knowledge with the mustangs has you way ahead of the curve. By your posts it looks as if your a car guy. Little or no knowledge can get it done, mild to good car knowledge can get it done faster, expert knowledge can get it done right the first time...

Watch out for the manual it is a guidline at best.. You are so right about the bulk of it focused on the donor.. Since that is the model for a FFR I guess they need to stay true to the roots! If your going to start upgrading then you again are sooooo right this forum has all of us "been there tried that" folks so we can be your test lab..

If In Doubt ask the question I am sure someone here has tried it...

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
After the first couple of months you will probably find that you use the manual more as a coaster under your beer, than as something to read.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Then there are those of us who built ours before there was a forum...

I have to admit - the cars build since the forums came on-line are being build faster and better.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Once again... What Manual??? :D
Haven't seen it in months...

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Manual only. Pre forum days. Nobody near that I knew.

I did a basic stock build with a clean low mile donor package from Cyprus Auto Salvage. Including the body prep, which I thought was easy, 1225 was on the road in six weeks in black primer. Six months later I pulled the body and had it painted Explorer blue. Total cost $15,500 plus a weekend of driving lessons at Willow Springs.

After building 18 more of these beasts we still refer to the manual on occasion.

Roger

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
Think of the manual as the cost effective way of building the car. I found the forum about 6 months after my build. Now in the past 2 yrs I think I've spent as much if not more on the car thanks to this forum than I did for the kit/donor and the entire build. But she is a much faster better handling machine than the manual ever could help you make.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts