Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from Limey69's secret Cobra workshop deep in the woods of Pennsy...

He helped me with the welding & Install of the sway bar

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As I am slowly updating and making my FFR a willing and quick club track car, while keeping it street legal, you all here have seem me do many updates.

Currently, the car is undergoing a major update, with slicks, wider rims, the front sway bar, brake ducts (where are the Cobra Earl?), an new motoper, and a few other tweaks, Cobrask8 is turning into one cabable rocket.

One month to the Glen, I plan on a heck of a school up there.

The VPM Kit is just as they advertise, complete, simple to install, and it does work!

Here's the kit:

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, up on jack stands, off with the spoiler & wheels, and LCVA front bolts for a test fit of the bracket:

Once it was good, we ground off the paint on the front of the 4" tubes...

and loosely mounted the sway bar to get the brackets in position:

Once all was straight & measured, welding time!

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Once the sparks stopped flying, cleaning & some heavy paint...

and everything was bolted up for final alignment & once the car was on the ground, everything tightened up. End links were set for no pre-load.

Drove it home on some twisty roads. I could only do so much with street tires, the real test will be on the track in a month.

But, from what I Can tell, with the bar still on the softest setting, the car does feel tighter, and plants the outside tire in a turn, and there seems to be lass body roll as well.

I'll wait for the track & pics to tell the final story, but wanted to put these up. Seems every time the VPM bar is noted on these forums, alot of people ask about it, so I figures I'd show everyone what's involved.

A BIG Thankyou to chris (Limey69) for his considerable welding talents.

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
chepsk8,
The next change you shoudl do is the rear bar and SAI mod. It will drive like a completely different car. My car handles unbelievable WITH street tires.
Maybe, if I get everything together I will see you at Watkins. Are you running HPDE NASA PDA? I was there in May.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Running Pheonix CMR mid-August.

The car is an evolving process, one step at a time. This year's mods will be enough to re-adjust to!

My ultimate goal is to get the car very stable on the track, and kill off any of the inherent "nervousness", while still keeping it a friendly companion on the street.

I'll see how it runs at the Glen, and possiblyone more event this year.

I have heard much about the SAI mod, where can I get specific info? I am 3-linked out back, so that will remain as is.

Dan

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
Originally posted by trevor:
SAI mod
What is that?

Also, not to hijack thread, but are both front and rear sway bars necessary or can you get along with just the front? I ask this because I need as much clearance in the back as possible for under the car exhaust and feel the sway bar would steal precious real estate needed for exhaust.

·
...unsafe at any speed
18 Posts
It is the "Steering Axis Inclination" mod. It was developed by D Borden and is sold by Whitby's. It is an optimization for the 17" wheel/tires combo's with SN95 spindles only. I've done the SAI mod, have VPM sway bars front and rear, w/Koni 30's all around, 275's up front and 315 drag radials out back, and the car is a go cart on rails :D . I run the front sway bar at max stiffness (as per VPM recommendations) and adjust the rear bar to balance under/oversteering.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,080 Posts
Looks great, I have them and love them. FYI I had to grind/cut some off the end off the bar, it ground into the lip of my wheel.Not a big deal going forward, not good backing up.

I run full stiff front/ full soft rear w/irs.

Dan, do a search on the SAI, it's been covered alot. The rear bar mounts high and would not interfere with exhaust.Check out their website.

·
Charter Member
456 Posts
Dan, you could have photo-shop'ed in some more hair for me!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts