Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from my first autocross event, what a blast! I only finished 12th in my class of 20 cars, buy hey, it was my first time. By my last timed run I had cut 4 seconds off my first time. After the timed runs were done they had "training" runs for $1.00 a lap. This is were the fun really started for me. No timers and no pressure, I was able to let it all hang out. I had someone give me a little tip (funny how that happens AFTER the compition is over) that really help. My first "training" run I was by myself and tried to run as hard as possible. I was sideways through almost all the corners without hitting any cones. I know this isn't the fastest way around but it felt alot faster than my timed runs. My next three "training" runs were with the passenger seat filled. Lou, the event manager went for a ride, as did Mike Davis (from this forum) and Natalie, a little cutie the works for the club. Each lap I did more and more steering with the throttle, something you really can't do much of on the street. Those "training" runs were the most fun I've had in the Cobra so far. Can't wait for the next one. I'll post a couple pics later.

Greg

P.S. If you have the wood steering wheel and are thinking of autocrossing, get a leather steering wheel wrap and tape over the holes in the spokes. I got my pinky stuck in one of those holes and thought I was going to twist it off.

·
Charter Member
491 Posts
You looked great out there Greg. Definately the crowd favorate.

Here's Greg tearing up the course!

I can't wait to build mine!
Mike

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Greg, after I raced with the Porsche club of NJ, then with the Tri-State SCCA of NY, one thing I can honestly say is, fun is rule #1.
None of them would be doing it for time only. Concentrate on bettering yourself only, don't worry about others in your class, that will come later. If you had fun your first time out, that is just the beginning, the fun has just started.
Enjoy the learning process, look for the apex, learn to heel/toe, don't race on street rubber.

·
THRAMP-master
3,473 Posts
Greg, question for you and others who have done this: what's the helmet requirement? I have a motorcycle helmet, don't want to buy another if I don't have to. I've heard some say you have to have the auto-rated helmet on actual race tracks - guess it depends on the organization???

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only requirement they had for the helmet was it had to be Snell 95 or better (newer?).

I wasn't worried about where I placed, that was just an after thought. I mainly wanted a safe place to learn to tame the beast. Having the people in the passenger seat yelling "Holy Sh*t!" was kinda cool too.

Greg

·
Senior Charter Member
3,848 Posts
Greg, if you can, let me know the club and the auto cross dates:) Next summer I need to do this!Email me bud.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! What a shocker! I log onto FFCars and scroll down the home page to check out the poll and pics as usual, and there I am. No warning or anything. Thought I was seeing things. What an honor. :D

Kobrac,
The person to get in touch with is Mike Davis, he's a member of the club. If you don't have his email, drop me a line and I'll send it to you. There's one more event this year on Oct 13th. Swing down if your not busy (and it's not snowing) and I'll give you a ride when the timed laps are done.

Here's one more pic.

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
Once you get started it's hard to miss a weekend. I thought the fun part was building the car, I was wrong, playing with it is even better.
Good luck with your autocross adventure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.