Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bled the brakes and I have a question. The brake fluid pushes the cylinder out to the brake pads, but what pushes or pulls it back? My back brakes are on pretty solid and I'm wondering what I did wrong. Need your help...
Joe

·
he who lives by the sword. gets shot by those who
2,847 Posts
Hi!
The seal inside the calipers are a "square" cross section, so the seal flexes or bends/twists and allows the piston to push while retaining the fluid, and after you release the pedal, it flexes back to it's normal shape, pulling the piston away from the pads. Granted, it might not be a huge amount, but that's how it works.

If your brakes are applied all the time, might have to check the length of the pushrod in your pedal box,you might find the pedal is apllied all the time. There are spacers the shape of the master cylinder mounting boss that help you space the master cylinder away from the pedal box.

Ben

·
Senior Charter Member
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Newer style Mustang MC and SN95 rear calipers

·
Senior Charter Member
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the pushrod going to the MC has about an eighth inch of play in it before it touches the MC. I rememeber reading about that one.

·
he who lives by the sword. gets shot by those who
2,847 Posts
Hi!
by any chance do you have the "E" brake cables hooked up? lot's of things can cause your brakes to drag, excessive powdercoating on mating surfaces,hubs that have nicks or burrs causing the rotor to hang up off center,etc.... have to eliminate each one. I know that's not what you wanted to hear...one other possibility is, if you are running a manual brake master cylinder on disc brakes,manual or drum brake master cylinders have "Residual"pressure Check Valves in them, this allows the brake shoes to remain close to the drum surface in order to react faster when you depress the pedal. If this were the case, the brakes wouldn't release right away (slowly)
HTH,
Ben

1 - 6 of 6 Posts