Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And the paint shop! I picked my body up from Autopros. Another beautiful job by them! (Have you seen Gary Cheney's Spec Racer and Coupe?)

[ June 12, 2004, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Ed Reynolds ]

·
Junior Charter Member
719 Posts
Ed, great looking car! The silver stands out nicely against the blue. I am considering the Lotus style stripe as well. Congrats!
Matt

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Matt. I got the idea from the old Lotus race cars. I wanted a blue car, but something a little different. I think it came out great, but next year, I'm driving to the show!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,595 Posts
Ed, Looks great. That stripe really accentuates the big gulp look. I like it.
Paul

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Brian. I saw your car on the dyno, but I didn't get a chance to say hi. What an engine you've got!
The body shop blew overdrive on their tow vehicle, so I had to run home to get my Jeep, so I missed most of the Open House, but I got the car home, so I'm not complaining!

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Yes, It looks great now...but when he painted mine, within weeks there were bubbles at the seams and when I told him about it, he didn't do anything...never again will I use him.

·
Non-Traditionalist (I'm not a purist, just look at
3,008 Posts
Ed Congratz!
Your car looks good!
I know having it finally painted must feel great!

·
Land Shark!
4,668 Posts
So, you're the one who had me drooling all day?

All day long, I had to look at that body sitting in front of me :D

·
Charter Member
3,488 Posts
Marky,
Did Autopros do your bodywork as well as paint i.e. the complete job?
If he did the complete job he should certainly warrantee his work. He is definitely looking for our business. Please provide details and a picture if you have one. If you did some of the bodywork I don’t see that the painter is responsible at that point. Please give us the details others would want to know.

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Autopro did the final prep, I did basic sanding. He acted like he knew it all and was disinterested in what previous painters had said. This was his first one. He did it in 3 days and charged me about $1800.00. I would suggest that if you are having him do a body for you from scratch that you look at Dartmouth Collision first. I now use Ginos in Rowley. He has a much bigger facility and does first class work at a bargain price.
Considering all the business that my original post braught him, he was less than helpful to me.
Anyone North shore looking for paint should go see Ginos in Rowley

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Originally posted by Marky:
Yes, It looks great now...but when he painted mine, within weeks there were bubbles at the seams and when I told him about it, he didn't do anything...never again will I use him.
YES, But that is because YOU did the bodywork and hired him to just paint it. All three cars that he has done for me have come out fine! I told him he would be a fool to ever take a F5 paintjob without doing the bodywork himself just for that reason. You keep talking about how great GINO's work is; well I didn't see any at the open house? Why didn't you bring one down to show it off? Gary

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Originally posted by Marky:
Autopro did the final prep, I did basic sanding. He acted like he knew it all and was disinterested in what previous painters had said. This was his first one. He did it in 3 days and charged me about $1800.00. I would suggest that if you are having him do a body for you from scratch that you look at Dartmouth Collision first. I now use Ginos in Rowley. He has a much bigger facility and does first class work at a bargain price.
Considering all the business that my original post braught him, he was less than helpful to me.
Anyone North shore looking for paint should go see Ginos in Rowley

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,238 Posts
Gary is right .. I have talked w/ him several times now .. have drolled over Gary's cars .. he does do very nice work .. if you go to a painter (I know several personally) and you have done the body work they are automatically absolved of any further issues as there is know way for them to know that you did your part correctly .. bottom line either give the painter, any painter the full job or step up to the plate and take responsibility for work .. I do, mine aren't perfect but I do do it myself and continue to improve as I go !!!!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,177 Posts
Ed,,Loved that paint job.It was the first thing i drooled over when we got there (My Brand new Wheels behind your body (white PT Kroozer)).Thought about duct taping your body onto my PT,,But too many witnesses,i wouldn't have gotten far LOL..Again excellent paint work.Tom

·
Charter Member
3,488 Posts
I agree with Gary on this if you worked on the seams and the seams bubbled up there is no way in hell I would ever try to hold the painter responsible. Expecting the painter to warrantee your work on the seam would be ridiculous. Ed’s body at the show was very well done and that painter should be proud of his work and I hate to have is reputation smeared for effort that he didn’t perform.

When I screw up something, and I do, I only blame myself.

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Appreciate the input, but the job he did for me was crappy. He acted like he knew it all and disregarded my comments on the seams. Yes I did a lot of sanding, but final prep was his responsibility. He told me the reason for the bubbles was the gelcoat...and that He now does them a different way. Either way, the job he did on my car sucked and it wasn't my prep that caused that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts