Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First thought entering my mind after I see the airplane disappearing above - "Holy s--t, what was I thinking!?!?" :eek:

Actually, it was flat freaking awesome!! I would do it again in a heartbeat. :cool:

·
Just Glad to be here - back to working on the car
1,633 Posts
So buy another ticket, :eek: better yet get paid for it .......... GO AIRBORNE !!

·
Charter Member
474 Posts
I did my first jump at Columbine Airport (Rocket I'll bet you know where that is). This was about thirty years ago. They packed my canopy backwards. It was one of the old kind, hemispherical, not flat. The "L" shaped holes were in front, not back. This was no big deal except in those days they didn't give instructions by radio, they guided you to the target ("peas") by standing in a position relative to the target so that you would pull the proper toggle and thereby steer the canopy. Well, they reversed the directions cause the canopy was backwards and I, of coarse, reversed the directions again (cause my canopy was backwards). The result was that I landed about 3 miles from the target. This was not a problem except that when I was at about 500 feet I noticed that I on a collision coarse with some 347KV powerlines. We had instructions covering this rare occurrence in our first jump school earlier in the day. You're supposed to cross your legs to keep from getting cut in two. My instinct was to pull my knees up to my chest and miss the collision altogether. It worked! I barely cleared an outside wire. Regretably, my shroud lines hit the wire and partially collapsed the canopy. This caused me to hit the ground so hard that My tailbone actually punched a hole in my underwear.

This is my one and only parachute story.

FFR #1920

·
1,633 Posts
Hulk - I know Columbine Airport. At least you are alive to tell us the story, so that make it a "good landing"

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
It's the most fun you can have with your pants on. It's like driving the cobra on the track for an hour, but compressed to a couple of minutes.

·
7,097 Posts
Lemme get this straight? You intentionally hurled your body at this giant mass known as Earth with the hopes that a small patch of nylon attached to some string would slow your impact?

When I went thru Pilot training, we were taught all of the procedures for parachuting as an EMERGENCY EGRESS method of leaving the airplane!

One small anecdote: I was coming back from the area one day after a solo acrobatic ride and as I was starting my descent, I went thru the checklist. One step calls for you to check your zero delay key (opens the chute automatically on seat separation below 10,000 ft). As I looked down to check it, I noticed my chest strap was not even fastened! Had I ejected, the chute would have flown off my back on opening! That still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up!

·
Land Shark!
4,668 Posts
I never could understand jumping out of a perfectly good airplane

·
1,633 Posts
Kind of a parachute story.

Back in about 1974 a doctor friend of my father asks me if I would mind going over to Grand Junction Colorado and flying his plane dack to Denver. He had a VFR only ticket and got stuck because of weather and had to take a commercial flight back to Denver. Sure I say and away I go to Grand Junction, his plane is a brand new Cessna 310. A really nice hot rod four place twin engine plane.

I fuel up the plane and file my flight plan, as I'm doing my preflight check this "gentleman" walks up to me and introduces himself as the local GATO (FAA speak for General Avation Training Officer) and asks if he can catch a ride back to Denver with me, sure I say. Always willing to make some points with an FAA type.

So away we go, all is quiet for about the first 40 minutes of the flight and then this guy starts asking me all kinds if silly questions about what I would do in this and that emergency. The bi-annual flight review program had just recently been started, this required you to take a check ride with an FAA examiner every two years among other things to recertify your license. The last question he asks is "what would you do if the left engine started sputtering like you had water in your fuel?". "I'd leave", was my answer. He just looked at me very funny and said "what?". I repeated "I'd leave", "just look out the window, those are some of the ugliest mountains in Colorado". "If the left engine has water in the gas then so does the right", "the fuel is fed into a common sump then pumped to the engines", So if one has water they both do", "so I'd, leave, I'd much rather take my chances trying to land this parachute in these mountains than this plane". You could come with me or you could stay and try to land the thing, your sitting on a parachute, and you're a licensed pilot" You could have heard a pin drop for the rest of the trip to Denver.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not gonna go airborne...already did 8 years in nuclear submarines. I don't know if airborne would have me after that.

I do fly single engine planes quite a bit, and had wanted to jump for years. I would have to say the thrill of free-falling from 14000 feet exceeded the thrill of soloing a small plane for the first time. I could certainly get into it, if I didn't have so many other irons in the fire (like building a roadster).

·
5,206 Posts
Congrats on having BIG Cajones.

There is something about jumping out of an airplane and having your life depend on some string and a hankerchief.

Kinda like going on a Gondola and depending on a frail steel cable. Or, going down hill on a couple of sticks. :D :D :D

Mike

·
Snake Charmer
3,464 Posts
I've flown a fair bit and had 5 occassions where I've had to do some of that Pilot stuff to land the plane while reading the inspection sticker on the back of the prop.

Been on an observation flight for a jump class. I got the basic lesson "If it all goes south get out the door and pull red handle." The class goes out the door and the Pilot says "watch this"
I think "uttt ohh" Pulls full reverse pitch on the prop and pushes the nose straigh down. Balances power and pitch so we are holding 100kts (~115mph) going straight down.

We were on the ground at the hanger by the time the first jumper was touching down.

I think a tandam jump would be kinda neat.

·
Snake Charmer
3,464 Posts
LOL mikiec

also like guiding a 1-1/4 ton missile relying on about 12 square inches of rubber to stop it impacting on the scenery

·
Supporting Vendor & Admin
8,396 Posts
I did it once and kinda thought it was a little boring, the freefall anyway. It's a great view at 14,000 feet hurtling through the air at 120 mph but goofing aroud driving the chute was more fun. I may be a little jaded though, I used to road race motorcycles. Going 120 at 14,000 feet or doing 150 with your knee on the ground, which one gives you a better perspective of speed

·
Senior Charter Member
4,012 Posts
um, Wayne
You don't actually OPEN the chute at 14,000ft then spend the better part of the day coasting to earth :D

Did it, had a perm-a-grin for a week :D
We did ours in a single engine(think Mad Max) plane from the 40/50's that because of the AZ heat barely lifted the 3 of us to altitiude. My left cord broke at 100ft, let go of the right to straighten out, hit the ground doing 30. Face planted in what seemed to be a foot of talcum powder and came up with a grin from ear to ear....didn't feel a thing :D
Here's to youth and addrenaline!

jk Wayne

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
When I was abut to get married, many moons ago, my prospective wife was freaked about the fact that not only did I sky dive, but I also did hang gliding. She couldn't stand it, and required me to quit both activities. In return, I required her to NEVER cook cauliflower, cabbage or brussels sprouts.

I still think I got the better part of the deal. :D :D

All the best,
Tag

·
Cobra Colorist
5,632 Posts
Been there, done that, can't wait to do it again!

·
7,097 Posts
OH That's Jeff Miller's secret Parasombrero...another tool in fighting crime!

·
Cobra Colorist
5,632 Posts
That was a shot of me after many shooters of Tequila with RS....not the most flatering position...but then I don't really have a good side

1 - 20 of 20 Posts