Factory Five Racing Forum banner

321 - 340 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
I just installed the doors to see how they fit. They will need some work as well as the body mainly at the upper area where the doors curve inward toward the cowl area. I'll let who ever I decide to do the body/paint handle that.
JR

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
Worked on the front over-riders today, I'll fit the grommets tomorrow. The hoop is next don't know if I have enough hands to get it fitted but I'll give it a shot.
JR

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
I got the rubber grommets in for the front over-riders. I still have to fit the hoop between the over-riders. I think the over-riders are far enough from the body for the hoop to fit properly.
JR

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
Oil Pan Gasket

I guess I can't put it off any longer, it's time to change the oil pan gasket. I've drained the oil, gotten a fel-pro gasket and have the Blue RTV. I'm not looking forward to this but it has to be done. Looks like the next 2-3 days are going to be fun. I hope I have the successful outcome that Phileas Fogg had.
JR

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
Lighting problem

Friend and fellow builder Henry came by today to help get the head, turn signal and running lights wired up. The very first 2 wires he started to connect were the tan right park light feed and the red/yellow wire from the park light and the cooling fan came on. He seems to think it is a ground problem some where. Since the body is on temporarily I now need to remove the body so we can check the grounds. So I need to gather 3 or 4 of my closest friends. I was not expecting any problems but we'll deal with it.
On another note I have decided not to change the oil pan gasket right now. I'll wait until it's on the road for a while before dealing with it..
Not so happy JR

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts
Hey Jerry, don't let this minor setback get you down. I must have had the body on and off half a dozen times finding & fixing problems as they cropped up. Just let me know when you need some help & I'll be there.

Late next week will be a good week to be under the car wrestling an oil pan gasket; warm but not so hot you stew.

John

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
Thanks John. I was planning on having the body on/off a few times for fitting, undercoating and now some detective work on the wiring. It's just disappointing. Sent you a PM also.
JR

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
Body removal

I have Henry and my neighbor set up to help with the body. John if you can come I'm planning for Tues the 14th at 9am.
JR

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts
I'll be there (unless you cancel because of weather; these stinkin' fronts never move as quickly as the meteorologists say they will).

John

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
No WX delays

Thanks John, I think we can get it done.
JR

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
Happy Day

Well today we got the body removed to make it easier to track down my wiring issues.Thanks to fellow builders Henry and John they were able to discover the wiring problem. Since I have not wired any rear lighting yet the wiring was coiled up and laying on the gas tank and apparently a bare wire was contacting bare metal somewhere. Just pulling the wiring coils out and letting them hang down all problems disappeared. Wiring not being my strong suit by any means I am glad I had 2 knowledgeable friends that could figure it out. I'll get started connecting the lighting in the next few days. I'm a lot happier than I was a few days ago. Thanks again to Henry and John and my neighbor Rich.
JR

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts
Good seeing you JR.

We also found that the connector between the main harness and the front harness was mis-wired. As a result, every time JR turned on his parking lights his fan would come on. Once we re-pinned the connector, that problem was sorted. So when you're plugging in connectors, make sure the wires match up!

John

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
I'm unable to locate the mounting screws for the door latches. Can anyone clue me in as to where to look and/or what size they are? Thanks in advance.
JR

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I'm unable to locate the mounting screws for the door latches. Can anyone clue me in as to where to look and/or what size they are? Thanks in advance.
JR
Trying from memory;
Take off the chrome cover of the latch and see if there's a little bag of screws in there. They are pretty small

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
Thanks Dave. I think I may have found them. I have 15 #8x3/4 oval head screws in the bag with the leather check straps and acorn nuts. The #8x3/4 screws didn't look long enough especially with the 3/16" door latch spacers.
JR

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
Fuel Fill Pipe Gasket

After reading a post on the other forum about a leak at the FFR provided fuel fill pipe gasket I checked mine and sure enough mine was torn/cut about half way around. I just got finished replacing the gasket with a Ford gasket. Much better now.
JR

Attachments

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,112 Posts
Good job JR. Thinking ahead was a good move. Think what that would have been like when you get it on the road and fill it up.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
Finally got some cooler weather (less than 90*) and thanks to Phileas Fogg we were able to set rivnuts in the F panels for the Elephant ear install when the time comes. We used his rivnut setter and it worked perfectly. I may do more rivnuts now. We used 10-32 rivnuts 6 per F panel.
JR

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
Did a test fit on the Elephant ears today
JR

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #340
A couple more things accomplished today. The cover plate on top of the drivers foot box I used 3 rivnuts and I made a "gasket" for the plate from pvc sheet goods used for shower pan waterproofing. I also made a "dead pedal" from one of the hood pin brackets, sorry I can't remember the forum member who posted the idea in the last week or so.
JR

Attachments

321 - 340 of 346 Posts