Factory Five Racing Forum banner

301 - 320 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
Not a whole lot accomplished recently, love these summer heat waves. I did order the aluminum radiator panel and roll bar trim rings from Mike Everson and should be getting them shortly. Also got the Motorcraft FC961 fuel cap on Amazon and it works perfectly with the LeMans cap, one click and it is secured.
JR

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
I did get something accomplished today I now have cup holders installed in the trans tunnel.
JR

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
Thanks to CraigS we were able to get my seat heaters wired up today. No pics still have to install the Kirkey seats but they do work. This we did on a day with a heat index of 103 and it was before noon.
JR

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
That's hard core. Even I took yesterday off (and probably will for the rest of the week too).

John

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
Yeah John, we finished by 12:30 and I didn't go out the rest of the day and most lilely won't go out the rest of the week.
JR

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
Yeah John, I was able to do the door latch mod last winter. I did get the bedliner on amazon so I'll get a couple neighbors to help flip the body and put it in my backyard and get that done first couple of cooler days. I'm going to cover my trans tunnel with the same vinyl and felt I did the dash with but I guess that should be done outside also. Oh well it'll be cooler here soon enough.
JR

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Finally tried fitting my Kirkey high back seats which made me realize I needed a quick disconnect steering wheel so I got one from Breeze, I removed the upper steering column and cut off the tapered end per the instructions and had to drill and tap the new adapter for the steering wheel. The #10 drill and 6mm tap are provided in the kit and I promptly snapped the tap on the first of 6 holes. I got a new tap and was able to finish taping the remaining holes. Today I was able to have CraigS weld the splined adapter for the quick release hub on to the upper shaft. Now on to figuring out how I want to mount the Kirkey seats.
JR

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Good to see you back at it & making progress!

John

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
I got the Breeze Quick Release Steering Wheel kit finished and installed today and I'm very happy with it. Once again thanks to CraigS for the welding.
JR

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
First Body Fitting

Finally got the first body fitting done today thanks to Craigs, Philleas Fogg, my brother Rick friend/builder Henry and friend Dave. It fits fairly well after the cowl to dash roll and trunk aluminum. Lots yet to do but at least it's started.
Here are some pics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Looking good JR! It's always a pleasure to see you, & the BBQ lunch afterwards can't be beat!

John

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
Thanks John, I did order that Quickjack from Costco also.
JR

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
First opportunity to try out the new Quickjack lifts I got a couple weeks ago. They suggest to also use jack stands as a safety backup but mine are too short guess I'll have to get taller ones. Due to my advanced age I need all the help I can get and the Quickjacks seem to help working under the car.
JR

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Nice lift; I know you're going to enjoy it.

John

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
Finally had a little time in the garage today and got the rear overrider/bumper bolts started using allthread and coupler nuts per the Kleiner mod. Will have to drop the gas tank to get to the lower passenger side hole. I have the overriders from finish line which have a different attachment system so need to come up with a way to secure them. May have to ditch the allthread for bolts.
JR

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
As a cheap solution that is easily abandoned if you don't like it, bolt a plate to the over rider, & drill holes in that plate for the all-thread to go through. The result is the over rider placement is 1/2" - 3/4" lower than where it would be if you mounted it conventionally. Mount the plate to the all-thread first, then attache the over rider (otherwise, getting nuts on the back side of the plate is going to be a bear).

John

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #318
Thanks John, don't know why I didn't think of that . Guess I was trying to make things difficult. Should be no problem with bumper also.
JR

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #319 (Edited)
More done on the rear bumper/over-riders. I decided to use rubber grommets in the body and ran the steel tubes through the grommets and the bumper looks pretty good. I'm not sure how much space there should be between the body and the bumper. Right now there is about 2". I'll wait on shortening the all-thread until I can determine if 2" is good. I've got some 1 3/4" wide strap steel to make brackets to mount the Finish Line over-riders. Hopefully I can get that done over the week-end.
JR

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #320
Great weather today, spent most of the day in the garage finishing the rear bumper mock-up and it turned out pretty well. Now to take it off and paint the brackets I made for the Finish Line over-rider attachment.
JR

Attachments

301 - 320 of 351 Posts