Factory Five Racing Forum banner

221 - 240 of 346 Posts

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
JR,

You are making great progress ... Congratulations!

You also might consider labeling any wiring that is not easily traceable/traceable.

A cheap and easy way to do this is use a label maker to print the label, trim it and then insert it in some clear heat shrink. Feed the wire through it and add a little heat and you have a permanent label on the wire.

Carl

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Thanks Carl, glad you are still with us.
JR

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
Been able to get a few days of work the past couple of weeks thanks to my propane heater. With the help of another builder close to me we've started the wiring and hope to get more done today. I also rerouted the power steering high press. line yesterday. I was never happy with my original routing. It now runs with the return line back to the bottom of the p/s pump, just have to come up with a way to keep them from rubbing together.
JR

Attachments

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,071 Posts
Here is a quick way JR
PS lines 2 by craig stuard, on Flickr
Wrap a wire tie around both hoses like the red one and leave it loose. Wrap another tie like the blue one between the hoses around the first tie. Pull the blue one somewhat tight. Pull the red one somewhat tight. Juggle the tightness so you end up w/ the hoses held together but separated by the width of the blue tie. And it only costs about 10 cents!

·
Senior Charter Member
2,836 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
You can't hardly tell but my 4 way flashers are working plus my tires were delivered today and are now on the car.
JR

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Hi JR,

Is it me, or do you have the front tires on the opposite sides? :smile2:

John

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
Thanks John and Craig. I was in too much of a hurry to get them on and snap some pics I guess. I may take them off for now any way because with them on I have to force my raised body buck past them every time I roll the buck in and out of the garage. I love it HA HA.
JR

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Thanks again John and Craigs for pointing out I had the tires mounted on the wrong sides. I got it corrected today. This is my first experience with directional tires. More wiring on tap for tomorrow.
JR

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
That's better.

Wiring's just like everything else, right? You psych yourself out, but then you get into it and it's not nearly the bogeyman you built it up to be...and then you get comfortable...or almost so anyway.

John

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
Fan Thermo Switch

I've searched with no success on where the fan thermo switch gets installed. Any help from the experts out there would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,JR

Attachments

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I've searched with no success on where the fan thermo switch gets installed. Any help from the experts out there would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,JR
I put mine on the DS of the intake as suggested by others.

HTH, Dave

Attachments

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,071 Posts
Mine is driver side intake also. But do you have a threaded hole just ahead the thermostat for the gauge temp sender?

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Dave's got it.

On my 302, there's a similar port/fitting on the right side of the block next to the distributor. You're probably using that for your heater feed, so you can (1) get the ECT Sensor Elbow Kit (Breeze Automotive Factory Five Racing) from Breeze so that you can feed both your heater and your temperature gauge, or (2) put the gauge sensor in threaded hole Craig calls out.

If your thermostat housing doesn't have the port AND the housing doesn't currently leak, I recommend getting the ECT Sensor Elbow Kit. Apparently not all thermostat housings are exactly the same size, and it can be problematic getting sufficient gasket coverage if they're mismatched. I know when I replaced my housing, I ended up with the tiniest weep; a dose of Bar's Leaks cured it.

John

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #237 (Edited)
Thanks Dave, Craig and John, I do have a threaded port in my thermostat housing that I'm using for the water temp gauge. I took Dave's suggestion and took the plug out of the intake manifold next to the distributor. Hope that is OK.
I have to get more of the small dia. conduit for the wire.
JR

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
I had to swap out my triple CNC reservoirs and re-bleed my brakes yesterday. My first reservoirs had a persistent leak on the back at the weld. It was only leaking at the reservoir I was using for my hyd clutch. Some research indicated that there have been problems with possible weld porosity. I didn't want to keep fighting a leak so I bit the bullet and got a new triple reaservoir and so far so good. The first triple was purchased used. Lesson learned.
JR

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
Nice day for working in the garage. I was able to install my throttle return springs and it seems like 2 springs may be too much. Operating the throttle by hand takes some effort. When I'm able to figure out my mechanical throttle linkage (copying edwardb's parts list) I may have to remove 1 of the springs.
JR

Attachments

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Nice day for working in the garage. I was able to install my throttle return springs and it seems like 2 springs may be too much. Operating the throttle by hand takes some effort. When I'm able to figure out my mechanical throttle linkage (copying edwardb's parts list) I may have to remove 1 of the springs.
JR
I wouldn't conclude too much by what it feels like to move the throttle by hand. Between the accelerator pedal and the levers in the linkage, you will have a lot more mechanical advantage and I'll bet it feels about right. On the other hand, if once completed it still feels too stiff, get a pair of lighter springs. Don't just take one of those off. Two springs are considered good safety practice, and although it may not matter for your intended use, required by most race sanction bodies. There's a reason.

Good luck with the rest of the install and glad you were able to use the grocery list I posted. That was the result of also combing the forums and seeing what others had done and parts they used.

221 - 240 of 346 Posts