Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My complete MK4 kit was delivered 3/23/17. Thanks to Phileas Fogg, CraigS, Dave long time friend and my brother Rick behind the camera. With only a single car garage things are a little tight. We got the body/frame on my dolly and almost immediately snapped one of the wheels off. Thanks to my brother that was repaired and strengthened. The body was removed and put on the body buck without any problem. All but 3 of the 24 boxes were put in my basement. We left IRS center section and spindles plus the front lower control arms in the garage. Inventory went well with only three small items missing. With a call to FFR those items were FEDEXed 3/30. Items on backorder are the overflow tank tubing, quick jack bumper components and my halibrand replica wheels. My wilwood brakes were delivered 3/30.
Now on to the good part, the build. I got the 2 F panels drilled, siliconed and riveted in to place. The front suspension was then installed. One lesson learned is be totally familiar with the method of part installation (don't ask). Now I'll try to post some pics.
JR

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pics

Body on body buck and front suspension.
JR

Attachments

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,076 Posts
Good going JR! And you got the picture thing figured out too. Nice progress.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Craig, just a couple of errors on the lower control arms but they were corrected. Thanks to Johns help I got the picture thing figured out.
JR

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Looking good JR! Don't worry about the learning curve; that's part of it. I think there are only two parts on the car that have gone on correctly the first time. Seems like either fit of pilot error always get me. I must have put the lower control arms on and then taken them right back off at least three or four times.

Cheers,

John

P.S. Looks like you've got the picture posting thing licked!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks John, I've just got to get a rhythm going and it'll come together. I'm going to a car show at a high school close to my house. It turns out that there is a guy very close to me with a completed MK3. I just happened to see him on facebook a few days ago. On the pictures any idea why when I click on one of them I get a black box and it acts like it is processing but never displays? I have no problem with this on my tablet.
JR

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
On the pictures any idea why when I click on one of them I get a black box and it acts like it is processing but never displays? I have no problem with this on my tablet.
JR
Could be any number of things, but the pictures show up fine for me. If it really bugs you, try a different browser (e.g., if you have the problem with Explorer, download and install Chrome).

John

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Looks like it's coming along nicely. As has been stated you'll likely do things over multiple times and that's part of the experience. Sometimes it can be very frustrating but you'll sure know how to service your roadster going forward.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Phileas Fogg, you were right John. I switched to google chrome and the pics display fine. Thanks again.
JR:grin2:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Center section

Not a whole lot of progress this week so far. I got the IRS center section painted with POR 15 yesterday in preparation for install hopefully this weekend.
JR

Attachments

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,076 Posts
If you can get a helper to do the install w/, it will be worthwhile. The problem is that the diff needs to be about 80 degrees nose up to start, and then slowly rotate to horizontal. That 5 inch round pad on my floor jack seemed about 1/4 the size I would have liked during that process.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Failing a helper, use that webbing through the mounting holes or around some bolts through the mounting holes to help keep things steady. Hopefully you'll get lucky like me and it'll go in first time just like it was made to.

If it becomes obvious it won't go in without a helper, give me a shout.

John

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks John, I may give it a try tomorrow. I looked over edwardb's build thread today and I might be able to rig something with my engine hoist. If I'm not successful I'll let you know. I have the diff on my motorcycle lift now I plan to get it in postion and lift it as high as possible with it then use a couple ratchet straps with my hoist to lift it into place. Notice I said plan,
Mike Tyson said everyone has a plan 'til they get punched in the mouth. We'll see how it goes. You may get a call.
JR

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
JR,

Getting that damn pumpkin installed was one of the hardest parts of the build as far as I am concerned.

BTW ... I ended up having to shave a grind a little off the thing (in non vital places) to get it through the tight spot.

I am just up the road in Nokesville BTW so like Craig and John I can help as well.

Carl

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Carl. I've been following your build for as long as I've been on the forum. I don't know if I will do the bodywork though. I'm going to try the install and see how it goes. You are welcome anytime, I can always use help with the harder(heavier) work. I may be needing help depending how it goes later on today.
Thanks, JR

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's in

It took about 3 hrs my engine lift, my motorcycle lift, 3 ratchet straps and a lot of adjusting but I finally got my IRS diff in today. No big deal(Ha Ha). The only problem is I can't get the right rear bolt started. The other 3 bolts were no problem. Here are some pics.
JR

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
There's always one...

Nice work!

John

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
LOOK'N GOOD!! Don't worry about a few do-overs its all part of the process.:smile2:

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,076 Posts
Yes those rear bolts are a pain. The frame is just a little too wide, or is it too narrow? Seems this is getting to be a common problem as I have seen another thread recently. Here it is w/ a solution.
IRS Center section problem
BTW, you are threading a steel bolt into aluminum so either use NeverSeize or bearing grease on the threads.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks Craig, I will use anti-seize on the rear bolt threads. I have ny-lok nuts on the front bolts temporarily, do you think they are better than the deformed nuts supplied? I had thought of carving the rear bushings a little. I guess I know what I'm doing today. Thanks again.
JR

1 - 20 of 346 Posts