Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Testing the Boothman Racing 25 hr FFR challange car at Watkins glen.
John George sets a new personal best of 201
that is 2 minutes and 1 second to get around that great track.

Do you here that Pat M he did it to you again. LOL

All joking aside When john runs this car he is always one of the fastest cars on track.
all in a cobra that is supposed to handle like a brick. putting down only 385 hp at the rear wheel.
people were coming over all day wanting to know more about this car, and why is it so fast.

So here is to you John
for leading the pack.
later
your friend Mark D

·
Charter Member
6,164 Posts
I wish I was there to follow. I couldn't run better than 2.12s! AND that was the fastest during PDAs HPDE day. I know I would be on his heals;)

·
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
trevor
that car of yours, I would think He would be chasing you.
It was awsome to watch him. The funny part was the car wasnt even running its best. It was laying down in the corners.
well there seems to always be something that needs doing on a race car.
we will get it figured out.

·
Charter Member
6,164 Posts
thats impressive. Talk about carrying speed through the corners. dang.

JG, are you guys still running R100s?

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Wow that baby sure is fast!

You definitely have an oil pressure issue. The oil must be climbing away from the pickup with the G's on those corners. Time to try a different pan or go dry sump I would think. Hope you're using synthetic oil.

Rpm wise it's not even working hard. Seldom seeing 6K. I bet if you let her eat you'd see a 1.59 :eek:

Keep up the good work!

Brian

·
Charter Member
6,164 Posts
that track really pushes the oiling of an engine. The turns have a lot of banking; therefore high speeds and G's. A dry sump is definitely needed for cars that fast. I've seen some scary low numbers in my car. Especially the uphill S.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,031 Posts
Yes we are seeing low oil pressure in high-G turns and under braking and believe it is a combination of the new 363ci Boss302 block's refined oiling galleys pumping too much oil to the valvetrain not draining fast enough, also filling our catch-cans/breather system with oil.

Our plan is to change the oilpan from the canton 9qt to what we ran the past couple of years on the car, moroso 7qt, then plumb the bottom of the catch cans to drain back into the oilpan. To fix the 'too much oil up top' issue we are getting restricted flow pushrods to limit amount of oil flowing up top (Smith Bros pushrods part# 581R-6650)

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,031 Posts
thats impressive. Talk about carrying speed through the corners. dang.

JG, are you guys still running R100s?
Yes ran Hoosier 265/630/17 R100 for test, but they were at least 2-3 years old..

I believe there is still time to be gained, the oiling issue held me back in really attacking the turns, powering out, etc, and I could go a lot deeper on the brakes.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Totally awesome John...congrats on the Championship as well!!!

Sorry we missed you and Mark D out there this year. We ended up running on Monday and Tuesday with Group 52. Group 52 > Home I think you'd really like running with them if it fits your schedule next year. How does 14 hours of WGI open track spread over 2 days for $550 sound? It's also invite/referral only so everyone can be trusted to stay on the racing line unless overtaking. There are usually quite a few cars in the 1:55 - 2:05 range that you'd have a blast running with.

We'll eventually post up some vids with data over on the Coupe forum. I managed to run in the 2:11s consistently while experimenting with 3.08s but I believe Craig got into the 2:07s with his 3.25s and more aggressive driving style :w00t:.

Are you running 3.27s with a TKO 600? Any chance of getting your racepak data file so we can overlay to see where you're kicking our ass the most?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,238 Posts
Yep ...

Dang kid is good isn't he !!!!
Now if I could only get you & Jim S to tune my car up for a change :) !!!!!!!!!!
Did mange to get down to the mid 2.10's leaving a lot on the table, esp. since it was with the old motor again, you know the story on the big one !!!
Will be nipping at his heals soon, have another motor going together shortly and modded a couple things on the car to help w/ my visibility issues !!!!
Will also be spending more time w/ NASA next year as well !!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.