Factory Five Racing Forum banner

JimS Daytona SC Build

72K views 324 replies 34 participants last post by  JimS 
#1 ·
Well better late then never :)

This is the build thread for Coupe # 487

I've been in love with the Cobra, Daytona Coupe and the GT40s for as long as I can remember. All beautiful cars. I originally wanted to build a RCR GT40.
I bought a Porsche transaxle and started planning and started designing a SBF supercharger Intake to have a super charged Gt40 :) But I came to the realization that the initial cost was just too far out of my reach, so I sold my transaxle and changed course somewhat:). Like I said I also was a really big fan of the Daytona coupe. I researched Factory Five and decide to go that route. I took delivery of my coupe on 4-20-2010. The waiting from time of order to time of delivery was a killer.

When I took delivery and started to really look it over from a body stand point, I have to be honest, I had buyers remorse :). I couldn't believe just how bad the seems are in person. But I soon got over and went to work.

Attachments

See less See more
#115 ·
hi Jim,

Where did you get the glass clamps..?

Chris.. :)

#117 ·
thanks Jim.. :) Look forward to the next update.. :)

Chris

#118 ·
update on Power windows

Pictures of the drivers side window progress. You can see the aluminum frame has been mounted solid. I got the window regulator lower mount welded in place and checked the operation of the window. I still have to cut out the inner fiber glass panel of the drivers door and build the steel inner door frame. Attached are a couple of pictures and a video link which is easier than lots of pictures and paragraphs of details :) Enjoy!

Here's the Video: https://youtu.be/tfXktIjYUxc

Attachments

Reactions: Gbeck
#119 ·
thanks Jim.. awesome to see it in action.. the Coupe is definitely not symmetrical..!!

#120 · (Edited)
Window update

Saturday morning power window and lock update. Here's some more pictures and Video to show the progress. I was really hope that these posts would start a little dialog. I know there's been around 400 views so there's interest, but I really enjoy the comments or questions. I hope you enjoy the pictures and videos.

Please feel free to comment :)

Jim

https://youtu.be/BK7fVJlGTzc
https://youtu.be/OJ8SIKh2G4w
https://youtu.be/GeMVrfd4qAo

Attachments

#121 ·
Hi Jim,

I love all the pictures and videos. You've done a ton of work and it is looking great. You mentioned the window going up and down really fast. I'm guessing when you have the glass in there and some gasket for the glass to ride in, it will slow it down some. I'm looking forward to seeing how you are going to make the inside skin of the door.

Thanks for posting.
-Matt

Reactions: JimS
#122 ·
More progress

Here's some more pictures and video, for your Saturday morning
viewing pleasure:) I apologize for the shakiness in this last video my camera man wasn't awake yet :)

Heading back out into the shop to continue work, I've got to get the crash bar and latch actuator mounting plate finished up on the passengers side. I'll check in later.
Enjoy, and please feel free to comment.

Jim

https://youtu.be/MXwoplQRyP4

Attachments

#123 ·
hi Jim.. :)

Still waiting on parts here for my version, Amazon hasnt been prompt on this occasion.

Interesting to see the parallels in your approach...:) I'll look forward to posting videos.. (am a U Tube virgin at 52..!). I also moved the top rail out the full 25mm and made a new hinge plate. Congrats on cracking the code on this one... :) If you were able to share a dimensioned template for the glass that would help really solve a few of my geometry issues.. :)

Cheers

Chris

#124 · (Edited)
Thanks Matt.

I think your right on it slowing down a little with the window seals in place.

I think on the inner door panel, I will use aluminum sheet stock and have it laser cut to a drawing then weld kind of a skirt around it varying in depth to meet up with the fiber glass. Then maybe glue urethane foam sheet to it in places I want some contour, then sand on it to what I want and have it covered in leather. I want to incorporate some type of arm rest/door closing handle with the window switches in it.

That's the thought anyway :)

Chris, I'll try to get that measured and dimensions for you.

Jim

#125 ·
update and help

Finished up the crash bar on passengers side and the lock actuator bracket. Trying to get the exterior window molding figured out and mounted. The stuff I'm looking at has to be modified to work and I have to make steel clips that isn't a very straight forward thing to make. I'd really like to find something that kinda looks like Base shoe molding for floors but only out of rubber/plastic and has felt on the inside that can ride against the window.

If any of you know of a place to get such a thing I would really appreciate if you could let me know.

Thanks,

Jim

#126 ·
#127 ·
Chris,

MRV catalog page 30 Part Number 216.042

Just need to find it here. Is there a way to find out what car this came on?

Thanks,

Jim

#128 · (Edited)
These guys produce a range of generic extrusion profiles, not model specific parts, so there will be no cross reference available. Did mid50's not have anything suitable..?

If you are having trouble locating a supplier I can order and ship for you if you'd like? PM as required.. :)

Cheers

Chris

#129 ·
Helpful Info

Chris,

I think I figured out a solution for the outer window seal at the top of the door.
Thanks for your help.

I also made a video of the weld Jig dimensions. Please remember this could vary from Coupe to coupe and slightly from the Right to Left side. That said, I would have done back flips for all of this information before I started. A huge time savings.

Enjoy :) https://youtu.be/kQOIT7YVQTM

Jim

#131 · (Edited)
Chris,

I think I figured out a solution for the outer window seal at the top of the door.
Thanks for your help.

I also made a video of the weld Jig dimensions. Please remember this could vary from Coupe to coupe and slightly from the Right to Left side. That said, I would have done back flips for all of this information before I started. A huge time savings.

Enjoy :) https://youtu.be/kQOIT7YVQTM

Jim
thanks Jim.. :) Was not a 5 minute exercise to do that.. appreciate the effort.. :) Backflipping as we speak :grin2::grin2::grin2:

Chris

#130 ·
Ready for Mass Production?

Wow Jim, you are really going to town on your doors! The internal frames looked kind of fragile and hollowed out when I was out there a couple weeks ago but now they look much stronger than the original FFR pieces! I like my removable windows a lot but simply pushing a button to roll them down whenever you want would be much more convenient!

Great job Jim! I am really looking forward to seeing more progress and having you get that car on the road with Jack and me!

Keep up the fantastic work!

#132 ·
No problem Chris. I wish I would have had this info, but that's what is cool about this forum and being able to share this stuff and make the next guys build a little easier.

This just happened to be one of the BIG things that a lot of people have been waiting on including myself.

Maybe I started something and will end up with a lot of Coupes having power windows instead of just 1 to my knowledge? Time will tell :)

Take care,

Jim

#134 ·
Thanks John. It's coming along. I still have a lot of things to do it seems like.

Guess that's just the madness of the coupe :)

Jim

#136 · (Edited)
I would have to build good fixtures not temp ones like I did for the window frames to even attempt it. I was just running down some numbers and I pretty sure no one would be interested. I was at around $3,437.00 with out figuring in the inner door panels which I haven't done yet so I'm not sure of labor and material. This number did include window regulators, door pop actuators building new door frames, window frames, etc....

I guessed on windows, probably $200.00 to $300.00 for 2-tempered glass, flat windows. There's a few places that do it I just haven't check price yet since I don't have a template yet.

If you didn't want to make much of a profit you could do it for cheaper, but I think a person might as well stay at work and work OT, instead of giving your time away.

Maybe when I get all done I'll take another look at this, and the numbers :)

#137 ·
You are making a complicated, difficult job look reasonable. Your car is definitely going to be special. Great Job.

Glen

#138 ·
Thanks Glen.

I hope that the pictures and videos are really helping people. I'm trying to give people a road map if they decide to do the power windows. It's nice to see all the views on this page and on youtube.

I'm trying to make as much progress as possible before Hockey starts for my sons. Then things will slow down a bit :)

Keep enjoying and I'll try to keep posting :)

Reactions: Gbeck
#139 ·
I hear that you are missing some essential clothing for laboring on the Coupe!!

Raise your right hand and say after me,

"I (State your name), do swear/affirm, that upon acceptance of this "Revered Coupe Jacket", will willingly subject myself to all manner of frustration and abrasion that my FFR Type 65 will provide. I further pledge that any and all fellow Coupe builders will have free reign in using the cash available in my wallet as they see fit to improve my build plan. I will not look down upon our fellow Roadster builders, but rather take pity on those not talented enough to build a race car with a roof, So Help Me God!"

It is my pleasure to present you with the "Revered Coupe Jacket", Here's your sign!!

Hankl

:darkbluecoupe: