Factory Five Racing Forum banner

41 - 60 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Intake and SC and SC inlet

I don't seem to have pictures of the intake off the engine, thought I did. I designed and machine the intake and supporting hardware: thermostat housing, super charger inlet, Intercooler that's inside the intake, under the SC. These are all one offs and won't be duplicated by me anyway:001_smile: On the SC inlet I machined the flange part that bolts to the SC and that bolts to the throttle, then made the rest out of Cast aluminum 90 degree elbows. Fuel rails started out life as Cadillac CTSV fuel rails. Extensive cutting and reworking got them to how I needed them. The port spacing on an LS motor and a SBF are exactly the same. I was going to use extruded aluminum rails but they were to bulky by the SC bypass shaft and assembly. So I needed to use the Cadillac rails which are more petite.
On the picks of the SC inlet you'll see that I extensively welded up the inside of a cast 90. I had to do this to be able to convert round pipe to somewhat oval. Once I had it welded up I ground on it and re-shaped it and got it close. The welded the 90 to the SC flange then finished porting the inside so the transition was nice and smooth. I then welded straight pipe to it then another 90 and a throttle flange.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
last pic of SC inlet

Last one

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
SS Headers and Mufflers

Ok so as you would have already read I modified the passengers side foot box which makes the header kind of close. When I got the headers from FFR I wasn't extremely happy with the quality of the ones I received. I sent them back and received another pair that wasn't much better and it was apparent to me I was going to have to message them and they were already powder coated so that makes it a little harder and they were scratched up just out of the box. So I called FFR and made a deal to send them back in exchange for Kirky seats. So then that forced me to build my own, sometimes you just need a nudge :yes: I have built headers before and these are easier because they are out in the open where you can get at them, and it allowed me to build them out of Stainless which will help with heat containment, So off I went. The pictures will show you how to go about building headers. You buy 90 degree bends and cut them and rotate them to how you want them. It's just a bunch of 90's cut up and fitted together. Columbia River Mandrel Bending is who I get my stuff from. They have the collectors too, basically everything you need. The 2 back cylinders on each side I had to buy the 90's from Woolf Aircraft products. These are really tight bends because of the space limitations. Columbia doesn't have that tight of a bend available.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
SS Header cont

And the last for the headers

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
SS Mufflers

The headers actually went pretty quick. Believe or not I had all of the primary tubes tack together and ready to weld all the way around each seem and the seem at the header flange in 1 weekend, that's working Friday night too :001_smile: The welding all the way around each seem is kind of time consuming.

So on to the Mufflers. I was going to use the stock ones from FRR, but it seemed like allot of people weren't happy with them. They burn out quickly and are really restrictive is what I read?? So since I was building the headers I might as well build the mufflers and in the process make them re-buildable and out of Stainless Steel.
Making them so that they would come apart added a lot of time to building them. I was never so glad to have them done. When I finished the last bit of TIG welding on these it was like completing a marathon.
I used 2-3/8" OD perforated SS pipe for the inside of the mufflers. The inside diameter is 2-1/4" which worked out great because the pipes leading into the muffler are 2-1/4" OD so they slide right in. I had to build the front and back end caps for the mufflers out of 2 different pipe sizes and then I had SS washers laser cut and built dies to form the washers into a cone. Then welded the big pipe flange to one end of the cone and the little pipe flange to the other. This part was the huge time consumer. I'm going to post the pictures and hopefully this will explain the rest rather then rambling on.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
SS Mufflers continued

Lots of pictures to show all of the process

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
SS Muffler last pictures

Title says it: last Muffler pictures. I'm going take a break.

Enjoy.

Comment if you'd like to or questions if you have any.

Jim

Attachments

·
Senior Charter Member
2,970 Posts
Marc,

Thank you for such kind words. Coming from someone who has built an amazing car it means a lot. Your car has turned out great. If mine looks that good when I'm done I will be elated. I plan on painting mine myself so I hope it goes well, but I really want to do it all myself. I have a big enough shop that I built a paint booth in part of it, so I have a place to do it versus not having that. It's not completely done yet, but it will be by the time I'm ready, I hope:).

Take care,

Jim
Knowing what went into mine, I appreciate the amount of work you are doing.

Marc

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Engine coolant tubes

I have somewhat of a funny story about the top coolant tube. I was looking over the setup to try and figure out how I was going to route the coolant tubes. Once I figured out what I wanted for the top tube and knew I needed 1-1/2" tube, I thought I was going to have to ordering some. While I was sitting there looking at the car I happen to glance over to my pile of tubing odds and ends sitting in the corner and I saw some Stainless steel bathroom handy cap bars that I pulled out of the scrape steel gondola at work from them remodeling the bathroom. I hate to see nice pieces of SS tubing getting scraped :). Well it just so happens that those bars are 1-1/2 diameter and they have nice Mandrel bent ends. So I cut them up and used them for the top coolant tube:001_smile:

The bottom tube is left overs from the muffler build.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Intercooler water pipes

I built the Intercooler. (IC) pipes out of 3/4" residential copper water pipe. I then powder coated it with Black Mini Texture to tame it down, so it doesn't stick out so much. The last picture shows the IC heat exchanger mounted up in front of the radiator

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Expansion tank and IC coolant tank

I don't have a picture of the IC circulation pump, but it is a Bosch Mercedes unit. It's a little better than the Bosch Ford Lightning pump.

On the Engine Coolant Expansion tank and IC coolant tank, I wanted to have them consolidated into the same tank from appearance, but be isolated from each other so ones temperature didn't effect the other. This is what I came up with. I was able to buy the thread bungs that the caps go on from Canton. This was nice, one less thing to machine and the price was very reasonable.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Expansion tank continued

Title says it. In the last picture you can see the IC coolant pipes are now powder coated, no more copper color.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Transmission

Transmission is a T5 G-Force, Bell Housing is a steel Quick Time. I'm using the stock through out arm with the end modified to accept a small rod end that is hooked to a push shaft that goes into a Clutch Slave cylinder, that I got from Speedway motors. I believe it is a 7/8" slave and I'm using the same size clutch master with the Wilwood pedal arrangement. Sorry to say I don't have pictures of most of this. I have pictures of the bracket I made that bolts to the side of the T5 and holds the slave cylinder. It seems to work fine, but I haven't really driven the car yet so we'll see.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Coming from you Ron I don't know what to say, other than thank you. Your fiberglass work on your car blows my mind. The interior work is just simply AMAZING. :001_tongue:

Jim

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Air Cleaner air box

Originally I was going to try and route the air inlet and air cleaner towards the front of the car and try to pickup fresh air up there, but it just seemed like it was going to be really tight.
I came up with the idea to build a box and set it on top of the passenger foot box. The plan is to cut the hood opening where the original Coupes have the rectangular opening for the Carburetor turkey tray. The opening that is at the back of the hood bubble. Then I will build a low profile duct that is attached to the bottom side of the hood and it will direct air over to the top of the air box. The air box will have a Bulb seal around the top of it that will seal to the ducted when the hood is closed, so it should be nice cool air from the windshield area "sort of". Hope this makes sense.

Jim

Attachments

41 - 60 of 288 Posts