Factory Five Racing Forum banner
301 - 315 of 315 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 ·
John,
I don't think it will have any effect on it, but I'm considering building a heat shield. I have also tossed around the idea of having my headers coated with White Lightning from Swain Tech Coatings. It's approximately .015" thick ceramic coating. This reduces radiant heat by 35-55% which reduces overall under hood temp, definitely a good thing.
It's just hard to coat my beautiful 304 stainless steel headers I built, so will see :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Nicely done!
I've been looking for a tidy way to install an EPAS. I think you solved that! And maybe I don't have to change out my manual rack for a powered rack.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
Nicely done!
I've been looking for a tidy way to install an EPAS. I think you solved that! And maybe I don't have to change out my manual rack for a powered rack.
My only caution to you is that you can't get more power assist than what it gives (Fixed) It works great for me and I feel it was just right, plenty easy to steer at parking speed, but I just don't want to send anyone down the wrong path. If you think you might want more when parking and having it variable, I would go with Epower steering. Store The owner is a really good guy. They use the Saturn Vue unit and you can buy what ever you need from him and source what ever you want from a junk yard or ebay or etc... which is cool having the option to not buy a full kit or buy a full kit or just pieces.

Anyway, I'm happy with what I did, and I appreciate the words of praise Glenn.

Good luck with what ever way you decide to go (y)

Reactions: Gbeck

·
Registered
927 Posts
Many thanks Jim... we are all well thanks.. hope you guys are managing to navigate your way through this successfully. :)

Am just doing the electrics on an EJ25 running a distributor driven off the end of a slotted cam now running twin side draft webbers.. :) Shorten and refit the tail shafts and then commission as a running car... apparently.. ! Loving your work and your updates.. hope you are having some fun along the way in your beauty.. :)
Hi Jim.. we are all well thanks, its been relatively contained for most of Australia for several weeks now.. our politicans seem to take it seriously and support extensive testings.

Got the formula ford / subaru back yesterday, still getting rehab on a shoulder and wrist, as soon as they are good enough I'll be back under the coupe to reinstall the gearbox and new slave cylinder.. :)

Surprised you are going for the electric steering assist, at least it wont draw any engine power.. :) look forward to catching up if we can arrange a skype ..:) Best.. Chris

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #306 ·
Dyno Tuning Complete!

Well, I finally made it to the chassis dyno, to finish tuning the car and to get help with a throttle tip in issue.

I got the tip in stumble resolved, which was the big thing I wanted to get fixed. I was already happy with the power of the car, so we didn't go crazy with the tune looking for more horse power. We cleaned up the air fuel ratio but kept it safe and then added a little bit of timing, but again kept it safe. This resulted in a rear wheel horse power of 402 RWHP and 382 ftlbs of torque. The runs started at 2500 RPM and the car was already making 348 ftlbs of torque at 2500 RPM, which makes an amazingly flat torque curve. It's a beast :)

The last thing left to do before it is official done is to change out the stock FFR coolant fan. This fan just isn't keeping up if I turn on the AC. It just can't move enough air. The good news is I found a great solution. I found that an electric fan off from a 93' thru 99' Volvo is 16" in diameter and looks a lot like the FFR fan. It only has a shroud around the fan itself then it bolts to a radiator shroud. The fan itself looks just like the 16" Ford Taurus fan. It is also a 2-speed fan that moves approx. 3,500 CFM! I'm going to run it with a Delta Current Controller that is a solid-state variable speed controller. I will only be hooking it to the high-speed leg of the fan. This controller starts the fan slow to reduce the current spike then ramps up and down to keep the temp where you set it. I already have a new Volvo fan and am still waiting on delivery of the controller. Once I get everything, I'll take pictures and post details of everything in case any of you are having the same heat issue and want a permanent fix.

I've attached a picture of it loaded up and ready to go along with a video of one of the dyno pulls.

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 ·
Hi Jim.. we are all well thanks, its been relatively contained for most of Australia for several weeks now.. our politicans seem to take it seriously and support extensive testings.

Got the formula ford / subaru back yesterday, still getting rehab on a shoulder and wrist, as soon as they are good enough I'll be back under the coupe to reinstall the gearbox and new slave cylinder.. :)

Surprised you are going for the electric steering assist, at least it wont draw any engine power.. :) look forward to catching up if we can arrange a skype ..:) Best.. Chris
Chris,
Glad your family is doing well, fingers crossed that you heal quick and can get back at it. The electric steering works great, I'm glad I did it. Email me a time and we'll get caught up.

Jim

·
Senior Charter Member
949 Posts
Jim that engine sounds great! I found the FFR fan lacking also, ended up with a flex a lite flex wave 238. 3000 cfm it works great but we also built a shroud to fit.

Reactions: JimS

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #311 ·
Finally got my AC sorted out. I had purchased a manual crimping tool to do all of the AC lines/hoses, but I found that the way that tool crimps the steel sleeves around the hoses it makes the sleeve somewhat 6 sided and on the high pressure line from the compressor to the condenser, that hose was leaking at the crimps. So I took it to a hydraulic hose shop and had them carefully re-crimp the steel sleeves so they are more round and I believe I'm good now. I'll have to keep an eye on it. I have dye in the system now so I'll check from time to time for any leaks. The other problem was I installed an electric heater control valve and it was wire backwards from Vintage air, so while the Evaporator was trying to cool, the heater core had coolant flowing threw it at the same time, therefore yielding not so cool air :) So I swapped the two outer wires in the three wire connector from the dash controller and voila the AC works great now.
So nice on those hot days. The radiator cooling fan seems to be keeping up right now, but I'll have to see on a really hot day with the AC running. SIDE NOTE: we found to achieve perfect pressure on the high and low side I only needed 1.5 lbs of R134. I believe Vintage Air was calling for 1.8 lbs.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #312 ·
Updates that I'm getting around to posting :)

I installed a Volvo electric fan and it works great. It draws more air than the FFR supplied fan. I modified my fan shroud at the top to accommodate the slight size difference. The fan is available through Amazon and I believe Rock Auto and fits these vehicles: Volvo 940, 960, S90 V90 1992-1998 Basically the old Ford Taurus fan without the radiator shroud attached(y)
I used a Delta Current controller, which is crazy simple to wire. No ignition key on power needed. Here's some pictures of it installed.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive design Alloy wheel

Automotive tire Alloy wheel Rim Automotive design Motor vehicle

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #313 ·
Another update; Front turn signal issue resolved!
I decide to make my own turn signal lenses out of transparent orange acrylic. ( bought off ebay) These new lenses allowed for a taller LED bulb that shines outward because it is higher than the light metal fixture. The old bulbs sat down inside the metal fixture and the light is omitted up, but doesn't shine outward very well, so with the taller bulb being above the metal fixture it shines outward very brightly. The old FFR supplied lens wouldn't screw all the way down with these taller bulbs and that's why I had to make new ones. I also installed new head lights that have an amber LED array on each side of the main bulb. I wired just the outside array on both sides of the car so it looks kind of like an arrow pointing in the direction your turning. These outer lights are wired into the turn signal on each side so now there shouldn't be any doubt to on coming drivers that I'm making a turn(y)
Here's some pictures: 1st pic old bulb VS new bulb, 2nd pic new taller lens VS old shorter, and last, a pic of the turn signal when flashing

Automotive lighting Liquid Automotive tire Gas Font

Rectangle Automotive lighting Plastic Shelf Cap

Automotive tail & brake light Plant Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
hey Jim.. hope you and the family are well... I just got my Coupe back from the motor trimmer after 11 months at his residence. Have one more piece of the dash to fabricate after I finish the next set of updates to the sons race car then its onto body work. Hope you have been enjoying your ride.. :) Chris

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·
Chris, Great to hear from you. Everyone is well here, hope your family is the same. I've been driving the coupe a fair amount this summer. Michigan is under a lot of road construction so you have to be careful on where your headed and how to get there. The longest trip I've been on is 2 hours one way. The car ran flawlessly and I had the AC turned on the whole way and it was very pleasant in the car and the motor/engine stayed fairly cool for the outside temperature being 82 degrees F. I think the motor ran at 190 degrees F. If I don't run the AC the motor runs at 180 F.
I still need to put some more sound deadener in the rear wheel well area. I think I'm getting noise coming into the rear wheel well and causing more noise in the rear hatch area. The car is sealed up really well around the doors so I think that part is good, but if I insulate the rear side panels from the wheel well that should help a little more. I will also make some inner wheel wells too, to protect the sound deadener. I just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe some time this winter. I also need to pull the transmission back out to have it rebuilt. 3rd gear is noisy. I bought the trans used and it works well, but 3rd gear in T5's is the somewhat weak link. It's a G-Force T5 which are pretty tough, but I think it had some drag racing miles before I got it :) I've been helping my brother with his 1967 Galaxie 500 XL. We are very close to painting it and will hopefully finish before November.
That's exciting that your making more progress on the coupe. Post some pics as you progress!

Take Care.

301 - 315 of 315 Posts