Factory Five Racing Forum banner
261 - 280 of 315 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
Still picking away at items that need to be done before getting car to the interior shop.

* I have the gas tank installed again and the fuel filler completed and grounded.
* I have the rear roll cage hoop cover almost done. Just a little sanding left to do.

* I built a door for the toolbox/storage box in the rear hatch/ trunk area.

* I have the fuel tank access panels installed, so that's done.

* I still need to get the windshield installed.

* I still need to reinstall the mufflers too.

I'll try to get pics or a video uploaded soon.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
I forgot to mention the windshield installation went well. They had to grind material off the bottom edge to allow for enough air gap all the way around the windshield. I didn't think to get pictures while they were working on it. I was just both excited and nervous to get it done. They used the 3/4" wide rubber seal. It ended up draping over the fiber glass wiper mounts in the cowl, but still looks good.
The car is now at the interior shop and awaiting the leather to arrive. It's weird not having the car in my possession. This will be the second time in the build that I've handed over the reins to someone else, the first being the windshield, but I was there during the install. I can't wait to see the progress once they get started. It will be 9 years in April since I started this build, and there were several times during the build that I wondered when I would see the light at the end of the tunnel, finally seeing it is a great feeling.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
walk around video

This video isn't the greatest because I shot it with my phone vertical and when I reviewed it I had already taken the car to the interior shop so I couldn't fix it. I decided to just go ahead and share it anyway. It shows the interior panels that I made along with the over head console and the center console, it also is just a general walk around, I hope you still enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/zEPUVH9q3xE

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
Back from Interior Shop!!!!

I brought it home from the interior shop yesterday. It turned out absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

I'll post pictures in the next day or so. They won't do it justice but I'll post anyway :)

So stay tune.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
It turned out absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

I'll post pictures in the next day or so.
Well that's just not right
You can't say how beautiful it is, and then leave us hanging!!!:grin2:

John

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
Here the first set of pictures

John, it builds the suspense :)

Here you go. The lighting wasn't quite right in a few, but here they are anyway.

Enjoy :)

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
2nd set of pics

Here's some more

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 ·
Last set of pictures

Here's the last of them for now. I still need to disassemble the doors and put on the side mirrors, window seals, and speakers. I have to install the speakers in the rear hatch area too, and also install the radio and heater control panel. Then work on getting the front bonnet done, but it's getting there and Jim is a happy camper because I definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Well worth the wait Jim, very nice indeed!
All the hard work pays off when paint and upholstery make it look like it was in your head.

John

·
Registered
927 Posts
awesome Jim.. congrats mate.. :)

Reactions: JimS

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
Thanks guys. I appreciate it. It's been a long time coming. On April 20th it will be 9 years in the works. I never imagined that it would take me this long, but life gets in the way and has a way of dragging things out. Along the way I've had people ask me "when is the finish date, what's the deadline" to which I replied "I don't have one". Maybe it's not the greatest plan to not have a deadline, but I didn't want that pressure of knowing I would be letting myself down and others and then continuously explaining why it was taking so long: I built a deck, built a back patio/fire pit area, remolded our kitchen, mud room, and added a family room above the garage, 3 boys playing sports, and oh yes, I veered far off from the path that FFR intended for these cars. All that said, I'm glad that I added the things I did to this car to make it unique and to make it my own. I'm glad that I did all the work myself other than the upholstery, which of course made the journey longer. It's been a interesting, frustrating, tiring, fun and rewarding journey, which at times didn't seem like it was going to end. I can't wait to get things finished up and start driving.

Thank you for all of the knowledge sharing and the praises and the help along the way it means a lot to me.

I'll keep you up to date as things are getting finished up.

Reactions: WIS89

·
Registered
319 Posts
Wow. The doors and overhead console are beautiful and one of a kind. Everything came out really nice. Agree, it's about the journey, learning and doing things how you want. Deadlines are for work, not for a fun project like this. Keep enjoying it. Congrats Jim.

Reactions: JimS

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 ·
Awesome indeed! It just looks RIGHT. Great execution on the entire project.

Thank you. I've tried really hard to lay things out so they look right together from interior layout to interior colors. I actually looked for hours to try and find the right hazard warning switch that would look right in the dash. It's out of an old BMW. I've done the same on the engine compartment. I powder coated a lot of things black mini texture to give it more of a factory look and tame it down rather than leaving things aluminum color or polished aluminum. Same thing on the hoses, using the black braided hose and black fittings rather than the stainless steel braided hose and the blue and red fittings. The valve covers I couldn't help myself, I just thought Blue would make them pop a little :)
Just little things to try and make it look more factory than race car look.

Anyway I'll try to give another update soon. I got the doors back together and I'll post some pictures of how I attached the weather striping for the windows and how it looks with the speakers in place and mirrors on.

261 - 280 of 315 Posts