Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with jet hot silver coating? It looks like a dull chrome from the net pictures, and it's got me curious.

·
1,018 Posts
Are you referring to ceramic coating in general or ceramic coating done by Jet Hot. My pipes were ceramic coated by Jet Hot and I love the coating but hate the workmanship, product handling issues, and general headaches that Jet Hot gave me. If you choose to go w/ ceramic coated there are other coaters out there like Louis at Hot Shot (forum advertiser) that will give you much better service than Jet Hot. Just my $.02.

Doug
FFR2625

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jet Hot seems to have a ceremic coating like finish, but it looks almost like chrome from the pictures I've seen. I am anxious to get the literature they are sending me.

·
1,018 Posts
Hot Shot and others do the same silver "dull chrome" ceramic coating as Jet Hot does. Silver ceramic after some light buffing really looks great. Unless Jet Hot has improved the way they do business there's a high risk of getting some real serious headaches when dealing with them. In my case, I hand to ship my driverside sipepipe back to them 4 seperate times before they finally coated it right. Even after 4 attempts and one year later they are rusting in the valleys. I had to deal w/ handling damage (by Jet Hot) on both of my pipes more than once. Each time the pipe went back and forth was added expense and aggrevation on my part too. If I were to do it again I'd go with someone other than Jet Hot. Again, only my $.02 based on my personal experience. I've also read a few forum posts over the last 1 1/2 years that Jet Hot either lost or mistakenly shipped product back to the wrong owner. Each case took several weeks to get the mess squared away.

I believe there's a place in NC or SC that also does a great job ceramic coating from what others have said. Can't recall the name. Hopefully someone else will chime in with it.

Doug
FFR2625

[ November 07, 2002, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: d isham ]

·
4,494 Posts
Steve: For my money ceramic coat (what Jet Hot does) is better than chrome over time. It polishes up great, can be repolished easily by you and won't turn blue from heat. I have seen a number of good things about Jet Hot and other vendors. I suggest that you do a couple of searchs on this forum using Jet Hot, and then ceramic coat as the subject and get a good feel as to others opinions.

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
My pipes were done by Jet Hot and I'm happy with the finish. However, I have the same rust as Doug describes. I've seen Hot Shot's pipes up close too, and they're shinier (is that a word?) than mine.

·
3,645 Posts
someone posted the microcoat pipes and they look awesome!

·
3,645 Posts
here it is. these are beautiful

web page

·
1,018 Posts
Wade-
You probably had your pipes done at their PA facility before it burned down approx 1 1/2-2 years ago. Before this happened to them it seemed they really had their act together and produced / provided excellent coatings and services. When I had mine done (about 1 1/2 yrs ago) everything was getting shipped down to their MS facility where I think they were being incredibly overloaded and thus unfortunately were cranking out some poor quality stuff. Hope it's better these days.
Doug
FFR2625

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Doug - you are correct. I drove them 3.5 hours each way to Bridgeport, PA because of the horror stories I'd heard about shipping problems. The factory burned down not long after mine were done.

·
Charter Member
132 Posts
I had my roll bar and valve covers coated by Jet-Hot. After reading "horror stories" here, I drove mine to the Mississippi location (90 minute drive from my house.)

When I picked them up they were packaged extremely well in a heavy duty box, with excessive amounts of bubble packaging and each piece was wrapped very well.

The finish (silver ceramic coat) came out better than I had expected and I will be using them for the side pipes and headers as well. My wife says they look like they were chromed.

I paid $165 for both the roll bar and covers.

http://photomail.photoworks.com/sharing/roll.asp?Key=1~FQQ4aBru.cJZs0XypTOziuf9uuityGKXWvwkT2HGY/9SzfxX9Lroq5royXqPjaLJ

EJ

·
Senior Charter Member
328 Posts
I have sidepipes coated by Airborne in CT, Ford headers which were coated by Jet Hot, and I had my J-pipes and quick jacks done by Hot Shot. The "shininess" of the Jet Hot and Hot Shot are about the same (both very nice). The Airborne was a little duller, but I haven't tried to polish them yet. The service from Hot Shot is outstanding and would use them for any further coating.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.