Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

My first post! I'm expecting my Mark III to be delivered on Thanksgiving!

I currently have a 4 post lift in my garage, is it logical to keep and build my car on it, or dismantle and use 4 jack stands? Worried about the lack of manuverability/flexibility with car on lift.
Thx,
Mark

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
Mark:

Welcome to the forum...

Boy, I'd kill for a 4-post lift in my garage, but having said that I don't know how much help it would be...at least in the early stages of the build...I have my frame on a dolly that enables me to move it around my garage and I find that really helpful!

There's one thing about this forum, I'm sure you will get lots of advise!

Bob

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
Wow Mark,
A four poster is certainly on my dream list.
I'm in league with Bob. The four poster is going to be handy but probably not right away. Are you getting the frame already painted/powder coated? If not and you're doing it yourself, you're going to spread plastic on the floor and set the frame on stands to clean, treat and paint it. Then you're going to set it at a comfortable working height to put on the suspension and your roll-around wheels. After you get to that point, then I can see where the lift can start to be used.
Harbor Freight has some really nice, heavy duty stands pretty cheap.
Welcome to the madness and Happy Thanksgiving. I have a feeling you won't be sitting around watching football! :D

d

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
906 Posts
Have both the jack stands and the 4 post lift. Began on the jack stands, then once it was a roller moved to the lift, and never went back. Access is better on the jack stands for suspension install. getting wire, fuel and brake lines under the car was better with the lift.

Here is another trick I found when I replaced the fuel pump. Hang the rear end over the back of the lift, with the rear wheels right up against the stops. Set up the jack stands to support the tank, and lower the chassis down to rest the tank on the stands. Unbolt the straps and lift up the body. May not even be the need to totally disconnect.

Steve

·
Registered
588 Posts
I was thinking of getting one of those midrise lifts about 48" off the ground. But since you mentioned it, I'll trade you my 2 floor jacks and 4 BRAND NEW jack stands for you lift. Actually I did just buy some more wheel dollies that the car tires sit in. I'm going to strap the little Harbor Freight jack stands to them and put the frame on that till its a roller then I'll just use the wheel dollies.

·
4,494 Posts
I just ordered a 4 post, but mostly because I now have two cobras and need the parking space. Stick with the jack stands for the build, the give you a lot of flexability early in the build that you won't get with a 4 post.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,042 Posts
I made a rotisserie that bolts where the quick jacks bolt. I build the car in a different order than the manual. Most of the aluminum, brake and fuel lines and most of the wireing is done before it comes off of it. I have both a 2 post and a 4 post in the garage and like the rotisserie the best. I do use the lift but not as much as the rotisserie.
Jeff Hamilton

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,456 Posts
The rotisserie just in case is great I saw one at Mott and would recommend it, you build it just like Jeff said except he forgot to mention you need 2 engine stands (one on each side):)I have all parts needed to do it hope it works, great advise just wanted to give my 2 cents. Its alot easier to work think about it!

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,042 Posts
I was going to use engine stands but it just won't work very good. If you look at the angle where the head goes in it points up. The weight of a engine makes this better but the frame doesn't have have enugh weight to make this happen. I took 2 rear hubs from a front wheel drive car and welded them to some square tube. This thing spins over easy.
Jeff Hamilton

1 - 10 of 10 Posts