Factory Five Racing Forum banner
461 - 480 of 522 Posts

·
Not a waxer
12,092 Posts
why are they doing that on the frame?
It's their process. From what I can tell they fit the panels and shape the flares before removing the body for the rest.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I can only speak for me and my process but the first thing I do, before ever picking up a piece of sandpaper, is remove the body. After that it gets sanded, the parting lines ground, wheelwells and cockpit trimmed and then the filler goes on to shape the parting lines, etc. Once that is done I cover the interior and engine compartment with plastic before the body goes back on so that the doors, hood and trunklid can be installed and then the bodywork to trim, fit, shape and gap them is performed (this has to be done on the chassis to get proper fit and contours). Following that the body comes off again to begin the process of high build polyester primer, 2K urethane primer, sealer, base and clear with the appropriate sanding done between all. Doing it this way prevents the interior, engine compartment and chassis from getting covered in dust...and believe me, there is A LOT of dust!

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #464 · (Edited)
In reference to J. Kleiner

Yeah the dust forsure. I was expecting them to take it off but they did not.

David (Murrills son) insists he is amazing at detailng and it will be spotless at the end.

As for the process I know very little. I am not going to even come close to question thier process. I would imagine it would be offensive. I tried to bring up the dust issue in the past. However if you guys said that a particular situation is completely worg I would try to tactfully approach the situation.

But I appreciate explaining your process so I have a known successful standard. Though Murrills examples photo wise have been outstanding. (Assuming he is using the same process) I currently don't have a reason to question the work.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #465 ·
With that said thats one of the reasons I have been posting like this so if something is just completely wrong I know. I know there are experts watching this forum.

I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #466 ·
So.......bitter sweet day. Take 2

Carl picked the build from Murrills and is taking to Spotlight to wait her turn.

Mike seems like a awesome guy. I am 💯 sure I am going to get back the build of my dreams.

Should be in the vicinity tonight.

Jason

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Glad she got there safely. Hopefully only one more trip. Can’t wait to see what the snake pit can do.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #470 ·
Rethinking color again... Staying away from painters custom mixes, tri's and candi

I saw this a long while back and forgot about it. Spotlight reminded me of it.

Randy Apple Red III

Randy is sending me a sample and his newer Viking Blood (a little darker)

2 stage to mimic candi process

Maybe pearl white stripes.

Jason
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Light Automotive design

Attachments

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
the only thing cooler than the viking blood color is its name. I say it's a winner.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #473 ·
Randy sent some samples

Randy Apple Red III (RA3)
Randy Apple Red III (RA2)
Viking Blood

All basically the same I can't really tell much difference. RA2 is slightly milky? The other 2 same to my eye.

I tried to catch the pearl in the white on this car but didn't quite get it with the RA3.

RA3 for me with pearl white stripes
Natural material Red Pink Magenta Material property

Automotive lighting Gas Human anatomy Electric blue Automotive tail & brake light

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #480 · (Edited)
Randy Apple III is more of a departure from Ford Code RZ then I thought. I love both but Ford RZ is tri coat and RAR3 is a two stage to mimic the candi process.

Both have there advantages and tri coat done as it's suppose to is more expensive.

It's RAR3 for me with the pearl white stripes. Time to pick the white.

Before I knew anything about car paint (still min amount lol) I wanted Candied apple red car. Then I did some research and realized what that means. Then I saw Paul's car and I was like this is it. But it's tri coat (though could be converted to a two stage)

I had forgotten about Randy Apple Red III and did not understand what the paint was trying to accomplish at the time. Now I understand. I love the idea of the Candied look. The majority of people like the darker reds too and I love it.

Jason
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

461 - 480 of 522 Posts