Factory Five Racing Forum banner
401 - 420 of 472 Posts

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
Went to Murrill's? I hope you're lucky, and get your car back on time and finished correctly. They used to paint cars for GCC, but the on 'time' and quality has been spotty the last few years. You will have to be persistent, and do regular check ups, or it will fall behind. The last GCC car took over 9 months.

·
Premium Member
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #402 ·
Yup. Extremely nice people. Plenty of pics and videos of his work. Website, Facebook and Instagram. In which I was impressed.

Him his son and his niece made the experience just another memorable experience for me in this process. I was very thankful for that.

Other shops I've called it's like they don't even want the project basically or they flat out to say they don't want the project. Always seems like a burden.

These guys seem just as excited about having it in there as I was. Murrill said "man you're so excited you're making me so excited about this project too!" Hahaha.

Laid hands on plenty of examples of his and his son's work when I went there. Supper awesome people. Definitely seem like work Im impressed with.

He had two FFR Roadsters there he was working on including a guy close to me here in the Chicagoland area. I have been communicating with that person prior to taking the car to Murrills.

Im his 57th so he must be doing something right. Maybe in the the past it was just him now he has his son and niece in there so things might be better.

Plus his shop was over filled with restroations of all sorts. People keep using him.

I called all over the Chicagoland/Illinois California Georgia ECT. Most waits were 2 yrs twice to three times the money and wanted the car for a year. The best was Jeff Miller but it would cost a lot of money to get the car out to him. Had a guy right next to me in Yorkville but he told me November and well in my opinion didn't seem like he was planning on taking the car anytime soon.

For a layman like me I'm sure his work will be perfect in my eyes and as far as time, I have come to realize double anything these guys say. But back on February 1st he told me around the 18th or 19th and that's when I was able to take it down.

I already factored in 2 twice the time and 50 percent more in cost. That way I'm not surprised. Hahahah. I doubt it would come to that they were super awesome to me.

Time will tell

Jason

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Jason, glad to hear that you got your car in for body/paint. Hopefully I'm not too far behind you. From their website, Murrills seems to do a great job on lots of custom paint jobs. Having done that many cobras, they must be doing something right. Can't wait to see what colors you end up going with. Maybe it'll be done by LCS this year!

Reactions: jhargrove

·
Premium Member
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #405 ·
Jason, glad to hear that you got your car in for body/paint. Hopefully I'm not too far behind you. From their website, Murrills seems to do a great job on lots of custom paint jobs. Having done that many cobras, they must be doing something right. Can't wait to see what colors you end up going with. Maybe it'll be done by LCS this year!
Thanks Chewy we have been doing this side by side the entire time. Hopefully your gets in soon.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Remember guys photos can be deceiving. My car was there over 10 months then had to wait another month to get my trunk. I was told 3 months. He took in 3 other Cobras while mine was still there. And he's always taking in collision. Those take priority. My car had many flaws that he knew of. Said I would need to bring it back to get fixed. I was #51 and you are #57. He still hasn't fixed my flaws. Why is he taking in more cars when previous cars aren't done yet? He never should have sent my car out knowing he had fixes to do. I felt like he just wanted my final payment and push me out the door. Some things they do great and others are lacking. My paint is all chipped to hell after only 1 year. The older cars in the club that he painted are no where near as chipped up as mine. I know he changed paint sometime in the past few years. And have heard of other cars he's painted the past several years. The guys complain of the easy to chip paint. Being fiberglass we are already prone to easy chips. Add a paint that even chips on steal easy and watch out. Murrill is not a bad guy I just think he doesn't care as much anymore or something. Some of the older cars in the club the guys are happy with his work. And I've seen them, they are better than mine. If mine turned out like theirs I would be happy too. But it's not. I already want to have someone else rework some bodywork and repaint it. I hope you have better luck than I did.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Jason, this is so exciting! I got mine back from paint a couple of weeks ago. I'm waiting to polish everything up and assemble it for the "big reveal". I'm really digging the red. If you like red and black, I always dig the candy red with black stripes. This one is definitely a more modern and aggressive look, though.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Reactions: jhargrove

·
Premium Member
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #413 · (Edited)
Love the candy red.

It will be a process to figure out what I want.

Hopefully the painter will send some samples soon.

Red with white stripes is the general scheme.

So far
Plan A
Ford Vermillion E4 and bright white stripes with the 1/4 pin stripes same color. Awesome!!!

He mixes his own paint. I asked what the vermilion would look like in metallic he did seem like that would be a good idea.

Plan B
Some version of a candy apple red metallic and bright white and the pins stripes same color. This will depend on what the painter feels comfortable with.

I asked for some version of the Ford Red Candy 2 code RZ. He's said he has no problem the tri coat, its just more money. He had some samples of his work with this process. I asked for a 2 stage version or something equivalent/similar. I trust him to make a suggestion he feels comfortable with.

Definitely think a 2 stage paint is the way to go. Just have to figure it out. Solid more traditional ”purer” Red. I absolutely love this. Or some something that is a little more aggressive. More custom hot rod color line a candy red, that works well with the painter. I love the idea of both a lot.

Jason

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
how about "gelcoat red"? i've been partial to that shade for the better part of 3 yrs now :)

·
Premium Member
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #416 · (Edited)
how about "gelcoat red"? i've been partial to that shade for the better part of 3 yrs now :)
Lol I have been drawn to the color actually

Gel coat red is awesome here is a great example. The post here with my build in the paint shop makes the red look awesome too

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Sky

The Edelbrock build on the FFR Forum looks similar to the gel coat red too and looks fantastic.

Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #418 ·
As Edwardb, Jeff and others said super hard to see the colors in photos. so many factors that change it. I can't wait until the painter sends some samples to put my hands on.

If Paul said it was ok I think it would be good to even drive out to his coupe and see it in person! Hahahah. Probably different on the whole car too.

At least with the solids you know mostly what your getting.

Look at this color how drastically different in the sun and under lights.

I love Red and white but this is a
Super cool paint.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light

·
Premium Member
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #419 ·
As I bombard myself with colors. I find that my thoughts have changed. These unique colors are very cool like the Ford code RZ and it's awesome to have a custom color. But the old standards just seem like the way to go.

More and more leaning on a solid rich red.

At the most a basic metallic red. Odd my Land Rovers metallic Firenze Red would be perfect for a darker red.

I saw a Ford F150 in a nice metallic red too. Lucid red or what was rapid red.

Race red solid is awesome.

Metallic I like the darker reds solids the brighter end.

Just wanted to share with my car buddies and people who have been through this too. I just love talking about it and I don't think other do so much lol.
Jason

·
Premium Member
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #420 · (Edited)
Well then you go to Autorama World of Wheels and......

Come on some gorgeous paint jobs. All of these are 2 stage base plus clear.

House of Kolors and PPG were popular brands

House of Kolors Brandywine 2 stage (metallic)
This is a dark red.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Hood

Believe it or not the Truck bright red solid said PPG completely different.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

I saw a Mustang just said Ford Candy Apple (Solid)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

My personal favorite for the build.
Seems like when I Google Ford Candy Apple Rd and Vermillion they are super similar. I'm happy I saw this car with white accent. Number one contender.
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Someone had a beautiful red he said Ferrari Red? What God forbid! On a Cobra lol.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

The Wagon.

I was able to see lots of styles and colors up close and personal. Definitely going to this show specifically looking for color was interesting take.

The Mustang I feel was my favorite for the build though. I loved that solid red.

The others were 2 stages too. It's nice to know you can get close to the 3 stage with a 2 stage as mentioned before.

Jason

Attachments

401 - 420 of 472 Posts