101 - 120 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #101 (Edited)
Day 44

4 of 105 total hour

5-17-19

Finished up the brake reservoirs. I went with drilling into the front of the foot box and using the plastic connectors. I left slack inside the foot box I know that's a tight fit with other components so I wanted to be able to move the hose. I can always shorten it later.

I still need to cut the bracket down I will do that at a later date.

I also tighten all the fuel hose down just in case I dont use a different product.

I also got the rear brake brackets in and finished off all my brake lines.

I drilled the two holes for the wire harness. I did not find the 1.25 circular drill but ready to use. I ended up with uneven holes.

I noticed I put the wrong clamps on the return fuel line, too big. I will replace those with the right ones.

I had to go with a bigger return fuel line with 3/8 fitting.

How do I go from the hard line to the smaller return port on the gas tank?

Attachments

·
First Time Builder
263 Posts
More pics from Day 44

Anyone ready to start wiring your build!!! Lol a hot mess!

I’m spraying Lizard Skin, but after that it’s time for me to start wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Day 45
4 of 109 total hour
5-27-19

Basic Wire Harness Install:

I attached the main harness in place. Front main and rear including sending unit harness. I still need to ground the fuse box.

External In Line Fuel Pump:

It says I need to cut off the red connector that would go to the in tank fuel pump. Them attach those lose wires to the in line fuel pump which I have.

What is the best way to do this? How do I connect the wires to the post of the pump?

Jason

Attachments

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,111 Posts
Ring terminals. These happen to have the shrink tube built on.
https://www.delcity.net/store/Heat-Shrink-Ring-Terminals/p_804389
The more common ones just have a plastic sleeve around the crimp area so you add your own shrink tube.
https://www.delcity.net/store/6-Inch-Pieces/p_818567.h_818568
This is a great source for all automotive electrical but the standard stuff like above is usually available at local hardware or auto parts stores. Now that I am in a reply window I can't see your location but if you have a boat supply store handy I prefer to buy from them. It's usually higher quality although it can be a bit more expensive.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
The more common ones just have a plastic sleeve around the crimp area so you add your own shrink tube.
This is a great source for all automotive electrical but the standard stuff like above is usually available at local hardware or auto parts stores. Now that I am in a reply window I can't see your location but if you have a boat supply store handy I prefer to buy from them. It's usually higher quality although it can be a bit more expensive.

Awesome! Thank you so much! I will work on this tomorrow.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Looking at the terminals on the fuel pump, there is no thread to secure a nut for the rings.

I like the rings idea. I guess I will crimp and shrink tube it.

Jason

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi Jason, looks to me like there is probably a molded connector designed to push directly onto the pump terminations. I would do some internet searching to verify if this is the case. IMHO, I wouldn't go rigging up some alternative connection unless absolutely necessary. I don't think I would like to have a hot joint or potential sparking near a fuel system. Lastly, poor electrical connections are a common source of reliability issues on cars. A bad connection on a fuel pump is definitely going to ruin your day at some stage.

Enjoying following your build.

Cheers, Nigel in South Oz

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #112 (Edited)
I agree Nigel. Thank you. that's why I
put a new post hopefully get some response.

I have research some and still am. I was thinking some type of clamp connection.

I went and got a kit that should have everything I need from here. Something in this kit should work properly.

Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Maybe reach out to Fortes Parts Connection. They were an excellent go to for me and managed to send a complete powertrain as well as a stack of accessories halfway round the world perfectly, with plenty of support.

Cheers, Nigel in South Oz

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #114 (Edited)
Awesome Nigel I will. That's were I ordered my TKO 600 from. Thank you

I got home and looked and the pump and the posts are threaded.

Therefore I will crimp ring terminals on and use a nut to secure it.

I think I will shrink some installation on the end too.

Jason

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Final fuel pump connection solution.

The pump came with 2 push on connectors one I knew was the ground which is attached to a ring terminal. I did not know what the other one it was for with no terminal. Now I know.

I need to attach the two push on connectors to the harness with a crimp tube/insulator.

Then they just push onto the terminals.

Jason

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Underneath trunk

As far as I can tell the fuel and brake lines are done except I need a bigger hose clamp.

And the wiring is in the proper place.

Jason

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Day 46

5 of 114 total hour

5-31-19

Fuel pump wires return line and side trunk panel

I managed to cut the red connector off the harness and crimp together connectors that will work for my fuel pump. Trial and error along with some lessons learned I feel comfortable with it.

I got the return line connected. I also replaced the clamps I used on the hardline to the right size.

I stared the aluminum on the trunk. I dont plan on sealing the floor of the trunk right now.

Next will need to make sure I prep everything for drive Tran install next Friday.

Jasom

Attachments

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Day 48

10 of 124 total hour

6-6-19

Nothing much a couple odds and ends like a little but of aluminum.

The biggest was I got the transmission on the back of the motor. That took time and effort.

I never forced it that was the biggest thing I guess. I kept trying until I figured it out. It was some protector I did not remove early in the process. In the end it slipped in nice and easy.

Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
6 - 24- 2019
Day 52
5 of 135 total hour

Trunk and cock pit back riveted in. Looks good to me I'm happy.

No problems. I just doubled checked I had everything done underneath. Oh and a set of stitches. Wear eye protection and full gloves.

Jason

Attachments

101 - 120 of 180 Posts