Factory Five Racing Forum banner

81 - 100 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I haven’t read anything about brake and fuel lines, I’d suggest running those before you get any further installing aluminum panels unless you just want to drill and temporarily cleco them.
I would also suggest either at this time or soon, do drill and cleco all your panels so they are ready to go. Don’t install until you absolutely have to in order to reach the next step.
Thank you. I will look into it

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Day 25-27

15 of 71 total hour

4-17-19

Still working on panels.

I know some say not to seal and rivet all that down but following the directions is what I did. The book tells you when not to seal, rivet and drill. Chewy I was able to fix my mistake from sealing the one side down early (the instructions clearly stated not to do this that's my fault completley)

I do not have enough understanding of break and fuel lines to even began until I have breaks and such in place. So please do not think I'm not listening to you guys I just feel comfortable following the instructions.

I got one piece I need to complete the shocks and remove the Jack I have I just need a .25 space ffr is sending to complete that project.

Then breeze steering rack bushings should be here by then and I will finish that.

I mocked up some of the panels not all those are secured

Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Jason,
The reason everyone is telling you not to permanently attach panels is it will make other tasks much harder than they need to be.
Brake and fuel lines, wiring, all easier with less panels on the car.
I noticed there are only 2 rivets on the drivers inside panel bump out. Need lots more there. Also that drivers top panel, the tab at the front tucks behind the front panel.
Hopefully you haven’t installed the cockpit back walls, the trunk has to go in first, the manual is out of order on this. Don’t install the trunk or back wall yet or it will make brake and fuel lines as well as wiring really hard and not much fun.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
Jason,
The reason everyone is telling you not to permanently attach panels is it will make other tasks much harder than they need to be.
Brake and fuel lines, wiring, all easier with less panels on the car.
I noticed there are only 2 rivets on the drivers inside panel bump out. Need lots more there. Also that drivers top panel, the tab at the front tucks behind the front panel.
Hopefully you haven’t installed the cockpit back walls, the trunk has to go in first, the manual is out of order on this. Don’t install the trunk or back wall yet or it will make brake and fuel lines as well as wiring really hard and not much fun.
None of the panels you mentioned are installed yet. There just sitting there and or left undone per the instructions. Thank you. Hopefully I didn't make it too difficult for myself. Thank you

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)
Day 28

4 of 77 total hour
4-18-19

Trying to finish up this rear end now I can not find the appropriate shims that go on the pan hard assembly. Factory Five is sending me what I need. Too many projects at once and not as organized as I thought.

But the Moser rear end is standing on it's own and looks great!

I got some aviation snips and trimmed the little over lap off the under door panel.

Really did not get much done. However my Breeze bushing came today! Sat I will finish up the little bit more of panels and start on the steering rack and steering.

Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
Day 29

5 of 82 total hour

4-20-19

Not a bad day pretty happy.

I got the steering rack and tie rods on with breeze bushings. Steering is smooth and working. Rough alignment is rough. I will try to work on that.

I also cut the under door panels to size and attached those. As per the instructions.

Ha if I bolt the wheels and tires on I could roll it down a big hill. The best soap box derby car ever! No brakes? Maybe not such a good idea. Lol

All in all not bad.

Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Just reading through your post and viewing your pictures, coming along nicely.

Curious, are the chassis' powder coated matte black now? Mine was a semi-gloss, closer to gloss finish.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
Day 30
5 of 87 total hour
4-21-19

Anyways before people look at what I did I understand that most will leave the panel to the last possible moment. I choose to follow the instructions. The top and side of the pedal box is not riveted or sealed. The back cockpit panel is not either. I did not even drill this yet.

I also tried to put the pedal box flange on opposite the instructions twice. I can not make it work. Sorry I tried. It works great per the instructions.

Please do not take offense for the panels and flange. I still desire your comments and help on this build. I have listened to almost all the suggestions so far.

Ok with that said I feel good about my progress it just not as fast as I thought. I did take advise and not set goals and time frames. I have been going supper slow.

I finished the cockpit and pedal box as far as I was willing to go and and as the instructions dictate.

I feel I at a significant end of a phase.

1. Front Suspension
2. Rear Suspension and axle
3. Pedal box
4. Steering Rack
5. Steering
6. Foot boxes and Cockpit Aluminum

6 phases done

Since I feel this was a good time to do this. I also went through every step and made sure I did everything the instructions asked and all the bolts were secure and accounted for.

Anybody building for the first time: I have a feeling we are all going to have to start and not finish sections due to back ordered part or choices and have to go back to it several weeks or maybe months. So I am going to make sure I go back every significant milestone or when I think is a good time and recheck to make sure I did everything. Stay organized.

Also when riveting: if you are having a hard time getting the drill in a tight spot look on the other side there is probally plenty of room. Unless for some reason you want that side of the rivet showing.

Tomorrow Fuel system

Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)
Day 32
4 of 91 total hour
4-23-19

Gas tank and filter installed. I followed Jeff's advise:

Ratched straps
Long screws are a must!
Don't forget to bend the flange strait!

The loop for the front strap was not fun!!!! But I got them filed/opened up. That's important because they have to be able to come off again I believe to install jacks/bumpers.

The back of the the tank strap did not come flush with the frame. I figured that was ok.

Jason

Attachments

·
Not a waxer
11,521 Posts
...The loop for the front strap was not fun!!!! But I got them filed/opened up. That's important because they have to be able to come off again I believe to install jacks/bumpers...
Not if you do the coupler mod:

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?14243-Rear-quick-jack-mounting&highlight=coupler

If you finagle the bolts right and have nimble fingers you can install the couplers now even with the tank in place---you won't be able to do that after putting the trunk floor in.

Are you using an in tank electric fuel pump? If not you do not want to have the fuel filter there. The filter should be on the pressureized side of the pump before the carb, not on the suction side.

Jeff

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Are you using an in tank electric fuel pump? If not you do not want to have the fuel filter there. The filter should be on the pressureized side of the pump before the carb, not on the suction side.

Jeff[/QUOTE]

I will look onto the mod.

I am going to use a external electric pump from Breeze for carbs. I put the supplied parts in the tank.

All I can do is follow the instructions which I'm sure you know says to put it there. If this needs to be changed I will have to research it and change it.

Pics with the change in plumbing off the tank?

I would also love to see someone's pic of the fuel pump and loction

Jason

·
First Time Builder
254 Posts
Day 32
4 of 91 total hour
4-23-19

Gas tank and filter installed. I followed Jeff's advise:

Ratched straps
Long screws are a must!
Don't forget to bend the flange strait!

The loop for the front strap was not fun!!!! But I got them filed/opened up. That's important because they have to be able to come off again I believe to install jacks/bumpers.

The back of the the tank strap did not come flush with the frame. I figured that was ok.

Jason

Nice pics Of the dog, but didn’t you hear? NOBODY else drives the car, and you’re clearly letting the pooch take the wheel. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #95 (Edited)
It been a couple week since I posted but I just now made significant progress. I lost track of time so I will up date days and hours later.

Brake lines way easier. About 90% done.

The hardlines are in except a foot I need on the PS rear. I dont have rear brakes yet or the bracket I need to finish but it's almost done.

I still need to do the reservoirs. I have a good idea what to do now. Then for the most part that's it till I get the rear brake.

Fuel lines are almost done the fuel pump bracket self tapping screws just dont work IDK.

If any one has suggestion let me know. I will post more detail about the pump later. I tried three times now to mount it but the screws keep stripping out the hole. I start supper small and keep working up but its not working.

It the electric carb fuel pump from breeze.

Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
Jason,
Maybe it's the camera angle but it sure looks like you have a kink where the line enters the Tee fitting on the LF.

Jeff
Mr. Jeff you made me nervous. I agree it looks like a kink. It was the camera angle.

Thank you so much

Jason

Attachments

·
First Time Builder
254 Posts
IT"S brake line, not break line. Brakes, NOT breaks.

They’d better brake, not break. I hope they don’t break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Day 42
10 of 101 total hour
5-15-19

Fuel and Brake lines and Electric Fuel Pump

I have been having a hard time finding time to work on the Cobra lately.

I have been doing some miscellaneous tasks. The biggest has been fuel and brake lines.

I was going to use a mechanical fuel pump originally but I could not make the eccentric bolt on within tolerance. So I scratched that. (Made the fuel line easier in the long run). I therefore need a electric fuel pump for carburetor.

I ended up having a hard time making the self taping screws work on the frame. The space is tight and it's hard to drill and screw anything in.

I ended up making s bracket for it and buying bolts and nuts and riveting it to the frame. I'm pretty happy with it. It is really the first thing I have done if script so to speak. I even remembered to silicon it to the frame. The bracket allowed me to lower the pump which means it will be accessed easier after the trunk aluminum is in.

I placed some tubing but I'm going to order braided line.

Tomorrow I'm going to mount a bracket for the brake reservoirs and the reservoirs.

Jason

Attachments

81 - 100 of 179 Posts