Factory Five Racing Forum banner

41 - 60 of 180 Posts

·
Not a waxer
11,551 Posts
Did you check the rebound setting on the shocks before assembling them with the springs? They "should" have come from the manufacturer on the lowest setting however over the years I have found some that were not, maybe 20%. FYI, our red bodied shocks are the 30 Series:

KONI | Adjustment Guides

Jeff

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Day 8

3-19-19

My usual Tuesday plans changed and I was able to work on the spindles and steering arms.

Spindles and steering arms installed! I made sure to put the one marked passenger on the driver side and vice versa.

It took me a few min to figure how to manipulate the upper control arms to get the ball joint to fit into the spindle. I did with min effort. I still need to put the cotter pins in the passenger spindle.

Hubs tomorrow I have a 300 ft lb torque wrench and a 36mm socket. I should be set.

Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Day 9

Part 1 Complete - Independent Front Suspension with front hubs, rotors, calipers and brakes

3-20-19 20 plus hours. A lot of running to the store and dealing with ball joints.

Nothing really to say 1st big step done. I will start the Moser Rear axle and Suspension.

Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Day 10 and 11 30 hours

3-22-19

Start part 2 Rear End install

Not much to report. FFR still needs to send springs for shocks, the "eye" bolts for the upper and lower links, and the break calipers. So I could not actually finish this step but I mocked it up. I still need to drill the hole in the 4 inch tube frame to secure the pan hard and make sure everything is torqued to spec and all the anti seize and other thread treatment is done. That will be when I get all the parts and can finish it completely.

I did put the lower brackets on the rear end and the lower control arms and got the end some what in place. That's how it will sit until I get the parts to finish.

I will start on part 3 the driver side foot box and fire wall along with the pedal box and steering. However I need the bushing for the steering rack to complete this step too.

Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Day 12
32 hours

3-25-19

Alright! Started what I am calling Phase 3, pedal box and steering to include firewall and some foot box panels. Phase 2 the rear axle and Suspension is on hold until the parts come in from FFR.

I got the firewall and front panel of the driver foot box done. Not much but it took me 2 hours. Not extremely happy with my drilling and riveting but it's good for me. I will have to get better before I start on the rest of the engine bay.

Next the pedal box.

Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Day 12
32 hours

3-25-19

Alright! Started what I am calling Phase 3, pedal box and steering to include firewall and some foot box panels. Phase 2 the rear axle and Suspension is on hold until the parts come in from FFR.

I got the firewall and front panel of the driver foot box done. Not much but it took me 2 hours. Not extremely happy with my drilling and riveting but it's good for me. I will have to get better before I start on the rest of the engine bay.

Next the pedal box.

Jason
Looks good. Are you installing heater or wipers? If so, you may need to remove the firewall to cut the hole for the heater before reinstalling it. Also, you may need to drill out the rivets in the lower inside portion of your DS footbox as the tabs for the inside wall fit under the front panel of your footbox and get drilled/riveted together.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Day 12
32 hours

3-25-19

Next the pedal box.

Jason
Looks good. Are you installing heater or wipers? If so, you may need to remove the firewall to cut the hole for the heater before reinstalling it. Also, you may need to drill out the rivets in the lower inside portion of your DS footbox as the tabs for the inside wall fit under the front panel of your footbox and get drilled/riveted together.
Thanks

No heater. I originally ordered it but I like the precovered dash and glove box better. I also ordered wipers too then decided against. That is still debatable.

The firewall I left the top driver side un riveted to make sure everything fits together later. Yes the instructions say to seal and rivet the front I assume this is good. It says to put the left foot box side panel on now. I think they mean passenger side because driver side would make putting the pedal box in more difficult. So I held off on that. However it did say to leave the lower right section unsealed and without rivets to allow for the other sections to be placed. So I assume riveting the front should be good. There is room to slip the bottom plate in.

I thank you for talking about the throttle linkage. I am not doing many mods. But the Forte throttle linkage sounds like a good one!

Jason

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thanks

No heater. I originally ordered it but I like the precovered dash and glove box better. I also ordered wipers too then decided against. That is still debatable.

The firewall I left the top driver side un riveted to make sure everything fits together later. Yes the instructions say to seal and rivet the front I assume this is good. It says to put the left foot box side panel on now. I think they mean passenger side because driver side would make putting the pedal box in more difficult. So I held off on that. However it did say to leave the lower right section unsealed and without rivets to allow for the other sections to be placed. So I assume riveting the front should be good. There is room to slip the bottom plate in.

I thank you for talking about the throttle linkage. I am not doing many mods. But the Forte throttle linkage sounds like a good one!

Jason
if you look at the inside panel for the DS footbox, you'll notice that there's a tab that should overlap with the front panel towards the bottom. This is just below the horizontal bend in the front panel. The inside DS panel should fit under the front panel in this location, so you may need to drill away some rivets to get it in. I actually drilled and mocked up my entire DS and PS footboxes and cleco'd them before doing anything else.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Thanks

Jason
if you look at the inside panel for the DS footbox, you'll notice that there's a tab that should overlap with the front panel towards the bottom. This is just below the horizontal bend in the front panel. The inside DS panel should fit under the front panel in this location, so you may need to drill away some rivets to get it in. I actually drilled and mocked up my entire DS and PS footboxes and cleco'd them before doing anything else.
Cool I will look into this. Thank you

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Ha Chewy your completely right on the panel I read the whole thing again. I thought it said one thing and it's what you said. I will have to cross that bridge when I get there again. Lol

·
Registered
206 Posts
I’d suggest getting some clecos and the pliers, and use them for every panel. Put everything together with clecos and make sure it fits before permanently attaching any panels.
I used 50 x 1/8 and 10 x 3/16.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I’d suggest getting some clecos and the pliers, and use them for every panel. Put everything together with clecos and make sure it fits before permanently attaching any panels.
Thank you I have and did.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Where am I supposed to be using the 3/16 rivets? So far the only place I've seen them need is attaching my breeze front battery box to the x member.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Where am I supposed to be using the 3/16 rivets? So far the only place I've seen them need is attaching my breeze front battery box to the x member.
You'll see them called out occasionally in the manual for mounting things. Like the brake line tabs, door limit straps, misc. electrical items, etc. Not a lot.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Day 13 and 14

4 of 36 total hours

3 -29-19

Pedal box

I only got the pedal box assembled and installed. As far as I can tell it's done good. Except I had another issue with bolt recognition. So I do not think the clutch quadrant stop is the right bolt also the one going through the middle of the clutch assembly. It's all tight and secure. Should be good. I will probally try to locate just the clutch stop and put a new one on. One of the bolts for the front bracket may not be right but it was the same size and good fit.

I still need to read more on the balance bar for the master cylinders so I can make sure that is adjusted properly.

I was going to do the accelerator pedal but I will hold off until Mon.

I noticed my body hanging from my ceiling is a little bent/ folded a little I might try to support that a little better not sure if I can do permanent damage to it?

Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Jason,
Is your body hanging from the wheel well areas or from the very front and rear of the body?
Can’t help on the clutch quadrant, I have hydraulic.
I’d spend some time running brake and fuel lines before you get much further, also make sure you look up bench bleeding you master cylinders before trying to fill your brake system.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Jason,
Is your body hanging from the wheel well areas or from the very front and rear of the body?
Can’t help on the clutch quadrant, I have hydraulic.
I’d spend some time running brake and fuel lines before you get much further, also make sure you look up bench bleeding you master cylinders before trying to fill your brake system.
Ok I will look into it. I have just been following the instructions.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 180 Posts