Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been bothering me for a long time. Since I have the front end apart to install PS, I thought I'd go ahead and get rid of these ugly ABS triggers since I wasn't ever going to use them. 45 Seconds with a Dremel and done...

Attachments

· 1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
28,717 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:)

Greg

· Registered
69 Posts
Tickwomp,
I don't know anything about ABS triggers but in your pic it looks like your disc is mounted backwards. The little arrow is suposed to point forward. That's what the Wilwood tech told me. Not sure why it matters but I thought I would share my observation with you.

John

· Official OLD GUY
3,877 Posts
What Greg said . . .

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo . . . Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy???

I know I'll start up a flaming session with this statement but;
The disk grooves are supposed to lead into the direction of travel

Let the flaming begin . . .

Doc :beerchug:

· Registered
2,316 Posts
I wished I'd cut mine off, always thought so. Tell me why not? Because maybe later I'd get ABS...like you did Greg? The reason I was focused on them was not because they're ugly, (which they are) but because it is un-sprung weight. This comes from my many years as a motorcycle mechanic where ALL weight was the enemy....especially un-sprung weight.

Thanks for your responses

Bob

· 1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
28,717 Posts
See the smily face? It was a joke. If you NEVER, EVER, EVER, add ABS, cut them suckas off. It's your call. BTW, how nuch weight do they save, 4 oz? :)

Greg

· Premium Member
2,935 Posts
I like the idea of cleaning it up by cutting them off.

As for the rotors, they are on backwards. Funny that they added the arrows because they "look" like they are on right when they are backwards.

· Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Rotation Arrow

To solve the rotation problem, there is an arrow that is clearly seen on the first photo.
That should work.

· TC COBRA
521 Posts
I'd be curious to see if you experience any vibration at highway+ speed caused by out of balance rotors. If you see that there is material taken from the inner veins then these are balanced rotors. I'm sure that this could be remedied. Just my 2 cents.

· Junior Charter Member
1,222 Posts
Can't you knock the rings off with a drift instead of cutting them? I'm curios because I'm getting ready to do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
I believe I heated them with a torch and popped them off.

· Registered
4,498 Posts
I wished I'd cut mine off, always thought so. Tell me why not? Because maybe later I'd get ABS...like you did Greg? The reason I was focused on them was not because they're ugly, (which they are) but because it is un-sprung weight. This comes from my many years as a motorcycle mechanic where ALL weight was the enemy....especially un-sprung weight.

Thanks for your responses

Bob
just keep the knife away from your wife:evil:

· Registered
372 Posts
I am glad I read this. I went out an checked, my rotors are on backwards. I do not remember see anything about that arrow in the directions. Did I miss it or it was just not there, one of those best kept secrets...

· Registered
2,316 Posts
Leo,

Great. Now I need to sleep with one eye open!! Although mine wouldn't be considered "un-sprung"!!

Greg,

If they are only four ounces. aren't there four of them?

When I think of all the efforts to save weight, like dished out bolt heads, four ounces seem like a lot. Just an obvious place to save a little bit.

Cheers

Bob

· Registered
926 Posts
I didn’t really need mine, so all four came off last night. Not as bad a job as I thought it was going to be. I just didn’t like the look of them hanging there. I’m not really thinking about the weight, these cars weigh just over 2000 pounds and most have enough power to move a train. I’m thinking the car won’t even know they are gone. I put one of the hubs on the “level” so to speak for fun and it didn’t change the balance any, so looks and weight is about the only thing you gain that I can see.
:smash:

· Registered
6,092 Posts
I have no plans for ABS on my Mk4 build, so popped the rings off my hubs yesterday. Couple cuts with a Dremel and they came right off. Didn't know it was that easy. No one will ever see the difference once it's done, but I still like it better.

Threw the pieces on a small digital scale. Just slightly over 8 ozs for the pair. Bob, your guess was pretty close!

Also checked and confirmed my Wilwood disks are installed properly. Good thread. Especially for those of us who can't help abscessing over little details. :001_rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.