·
Senior Charter Member
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Senior Charter Member
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)

Shane... Got the engine and transmission in tonight. The Engine went in pretty easily. I put the clutch back on and then was able to slide the transmission in place. I'll get the intake manifold, coils, and idler bracket put back on tomorrow morning. Then the axles will go in. Then, hopefully, the braided hoses will be made and installed for the coolant lines.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sweet!!! Always feels good when a plan comes together!
Yep, it felt good to be able to get them both in last night.

It wasn't without issues though...

I am having trouble getting the clutch fork shaft into position. I'm afraid that I might have to slide the transmission back and check the fit again.

It is stuck on the first boss, and doesn't want to slide through to the next.

Also, the rear frame (transmission support) does not want to line up at the lower bolt holes. I think that may be due to the fact that the car is sitting on it's wheels as opposed to being on the stands. Maybe the frame is flexing a little...

I'll figure it out later today.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Stig,

I just got the gearbox into the car and the rear mount done. It sounds like we were having the same problem, it was a PITA to get it all to line up. It took two of us to coax the bolts into the holes. I just hope that I do not have to take it apart again.

I used some tape to hold the fork in place. There was a small piece that we could not get back out. I am just hoping that it will get ground up and pushed out of the way.

Dave

·
Senior Charter Member
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
ummm.... I see a problem Mike! Them rear tires arent nearly wide enough!! ;)

Looks great! David
I know... I did my best, but these were the widest that CCW could fit in the box!

Thanks David! You set the bar pretty high with your build. So I'm trying to build one that might be worthy of comparison to "your" car. Can't wait to see the Mk4 when you're done with it.

·
Junior Charter Member
537 Posts
Wow, great looking build there....very meticulous and clean, love it!

Congrats on getting the motor in!

Aman

·
Senior Charter Member
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Wow, great looking build there....very meticulous and clean, love it!

Congrats on getting the motor in!

Aman
Thank you Aman. I really do appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Hi Stig,

Great work here, I noticed that it looks like you are still using the old Pilot bearing, when I was putting mine together I made some measurement and it look like the pilot bearing just was not correct long enough and the tranny shaft barely seat on the bearings, when I talk to FFR, they had changed it and sent me a new one, it was prefect, check my website if interested.

http://www.aadbrl.com/engine/pilotbearing.html

Mostafa

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
It may be hard for me to see the old and new from the pics, one way to know the old was not sealed and used needle bearing the new one wider and sealed bearing.

Mostafa

·
Senior Charter Member
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
It may be hard for me to see the old and new from the pics, one way to know the old was not sealed and used needle bearing the new one wider and sealed bearing.

Mostafa
Hi Mostafa,

I have replaced the old bearing with the new one from KEP, about 2 or 3 months ago. It is a sealed bearing, that is charcoal colored instead of Orange. I guess it's the angle of the picture that makes it looks like the old bearing.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts