Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have all the storage items covered but wanted thoughts on two things...

Whitby soft top on or off? (It could be stored in the basement)

Car Cover (Covercraft) on or off? (I'm not worried about banging the car and the cover wouldn't protect too much of that anyway. I'm just worried about moisture / dust during long term storage under that cover.)

Thanks!

R :D

·
Charter Member
2,649 Posts
Randy,
It would be a great idea if you could store it at Johnathans Landing! You might want to consider some fuel stabilizer, antifreeze levels OK?

Bob Mac
FFR3981

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob,

No it wouldn't! My Father in Law would be rippin' it up and down A1A all Winter!

It would be nice to have it there for our vacation though. BTW, we have the dates for the first trip this Winter already (1st week of March if I remember right). Hopefully, we can hook up again!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Randy,
- Top off the tank and put Sta-bil in it (as was mentioned above.) Partially full fuel tanks breath moisture in and out and the water condenses in the tank.
- Change the oil and filter and start it up to circulate. No need to keep the accumulated crud and acids in the engine oil over the winter.
- Put a float charger (not a trickle charger) on the battery to keep it charged. Discharged battery can freeze and split.
- Put some dryer sheets under the hood, in the passenger compartment, and in the trunk to discourage the mice from making their homes in the car or chewing on the rubber lines.
- Assuming the car will be stored away from the elements (in the garage or in an enclosed trailer) putting the cover on it will protect it from dust.
- Over-inflate the tires (slightly.) This will keep them from developing flat spots. There is debate on this one because steel radials are not supposed to develop flat spots. Use your judgement. I bump mine up about 5 psi during the long winter storage.
- Make sure your antifreeze is dense enough to avoid freezing.
- Your car is carbed. Might be a good idea to fog the carb like I do on my lawn mower.

That's about it. Of course, if you're going to take it out for a spin every time we have a decent day in the winter, you don't have to worry about much of any of it. I drove mine in 17* weather last January.

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.. I have all the normal storage stuff covered.. I've been storing a couple Summer toys all Winter for years.

But specifically to the Cobra:

Is there a concern with moisture developing under the car cover and hurting the paint?

Also, thoughts on keeping the Whitby top on or off?

Thanks! :D

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
Randy,

For long term winter storage I suggest a large plastic tarp be laid out on the floor and two sheets of plywood placed over the top of it. Drive the car up, follow Rogers other advice, and you should be good to go.

Bill S.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Randy, I've had NO problems with keeping the cover on the car in the trailer for extended periods of time. As long is there is no breeze to move the cover and chafe (chaff?) the paint, I don't see a problem. I would be far more concerned about a bird getting in the garage or trailer and leaving droppings on the paint. Much better it would be on the cover. But to your question about moisture, winter air is very dry, covers breath, and the whole bottom is open.

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
A bag of charcoal split open is an excellent desecant and odor remover. We have friends with RVs that store them in a cave and the charcoal works excellent. HTH, Cheers Richard.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I have my cars stored away from home so I can't move them or charge the batterys. My cars are in a heated and dry barn until April. I put mine on jack stand so the tires don't flat spot, I have had this happen. I put my top on the car to keep it stretched out and since I have a cover I use it. I brought my batterys home so I can put them on a trickle charge every 6 to 8 weeks. If I had the cars at home I would run them for 15 minutes every 6 weeks.
David W

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys! I am going to try and drive it a few times during the winter if we've had a bunch of rain to wash the salt off! :D

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jeff, if I had your room?! I would!

·
Charter Member
1,766 Posts
You will be keeping it in the garage right? It really doesn't look much longer than the car.I'm thinking winter storage in the barn and this will keep the varmits out.

·
1,743 Posts
Originally posted by ChevyCobra - Randy J.:
Bob,

... BTW, we have the dates for the first trip this Winter already (1st week of March if I remember right)...

holy cow... do you mean it's still winter (and to cold to drive) in March?

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol, yep!

April is drivable but rainy and May starts the gorgeous season around here.

We're lucky (so far) with the fall. Jeff and I were able to put 70 miles on last Sunday and this Friday and weekend look like I might be able to drive some also...

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Definitely use the dryer sheets. Mice do not like them at all. We use them in our fiber splice boxes and channel bank wiring cabinets and this so far works better than rat killer.
Frank

·
1,648 Posts
How many dryer sheets do you need for a car, and where is the best place to place them? Has anybody tried the car bag (not the bubble) I was toying with that option my self ?

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Put them on the wiring harness and anywhere you don't want the mice to chew on something important.
Frank

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jeeze guys..

I don't want the thing to smell all sweet and fresh, it's a Cobra replica for crying out loud! :D :D

You think I was born yesterday, huh?! :D

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Put a little gear lub around the cobra, at least it should get rid of the sweet and just dried smell. Hell if that don't work put a dab on the end of the nose, you'll never smell the dryer sheets.
Frank

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.