Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Not a waxer
11,849 Posts
Too bad that picture collection doesn't have the Mk4 Factory Five. That's clearly a Mk3 or earlier. The Mk4 body shape -- especially the angle and height of the rear fenders and deck -- is quite different. It's especially noticeable when you have them side-by-side.
I know I've taken a side-by-side photo but it's probably buried deep in the photo storage files right now. Did come across this one which while isn't true profiles still shows the difference between the perky butt black Mk3 and red Mk4.

I like Backdrafts but yeah, some of their lines are kind of exaggerated. They are a bit bigger in all dimensions too; longer wheelbase, length, width, etc. I think of them as being like a Cobra done at 105%.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Don't get wrapped up in someone elses bad PR.
If you have to put down another vehicle to make yourself feel self important, well..............
Exactly!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had someone say this to me recently. Now I don't have my FF Cobra yet, but I asked them if 'someone' assembled the Backdraft Cobra back in South Africa. They said "yes", then I said, well, what's the difference? Then I asked what compression and cam were they running, and the wheels fell off. Now we know the true difference...

·
Registered
820 Posts
I was at a show this past weekend when a yellow “cobra” with black stripes backed in so our cars were rear-to-rear. It had a single roll bar with a brake light embedded and a backup light bolted to the bumper. But what caught my attention was his tag - YES IT IS which is a great juxtaposition to mine - DIYCBRA. Listening to him talk over the course of the night, he said things like “factory built in South Africa in a factory Carrol Shelby had an interest in.” When pushed he would mention that he was the third owner of a car built in 1999. By the end of the night he would only say “its titled as a 65 Ford.” When we talked he was proud of the fact that he only ever put gas in it. He said people that built them were always tinkering and working on the cars. I shrugged my shoulders and said I had a number of things I planned on doing when I got the chance.

I don’t understand how you can drive a superformance and convince yourself that it’s a real cobra. It was obvious that he was having a progressively harder time with that line as the night went on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The "built, not bought" slogan can go both ways apparently. My first Cobra I built back in 1992 I build my own Chassis based on sound technology at the time and a Classic roadsters body. the CR body is by no means stock looking, but it does have some unique features. When I went to Cobra country events, everyone asked who built it? I did. who built your car? "oh, I bought it already assembled, i had a shop install the engine and transmission". The only other guys in the club who could say they built their cars were the Factory Five Cobra owners. That's why i respect the Factory Five cars and why my next car will be a FFR roadster.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts