Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I screwed up. I was wondering when it would happen. I neglected to consider the 3/4" vertical brace that goes to the dash hoop. My water temp gauge is right up against it...actually hits it dead center. I can't move the gauge, since I'm using a carbon fiber dash...no patching this hole. Can I cut/relocate that brace?...can I eliminate it?

Here's a pic of the dash layout I decided on:

[ August 18, 2002, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: oldguy668 ]

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi
We made a new dash for are car and the speedo also hit dead center. We cut the brace out and relacted it three inches to the right. works fine now.
bb460cobra

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Oldguy668,no problem leave it out,like it has been mentioned in an earlier reply the earlier cars (like mine)didnt even have that brace,and as far as I can see it dosent make any difference.Therefore no screw-up your golden.Nice dash.

[ August 18, 2002, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Smitty ]

·
FFCobra Craftsman
877 Posts
STOP, I did some calculations this morning and if you cut out that bar, do to cyclic stresses you will have failure at 23,146.7 miles! Hmmm, or maybe not.

The dash looks GREAT!

[ August 18, 2002, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: Venomous ]

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Welcome to my world oldguy....

looks great.. Does the wife know about that? Mine came in just as I made one of those URgg! mistakes and I think I caught her laughing!

If it were easy anyone could do it!

I don't have the brace either.. In the FFR newsletter they mention the brace helps cowel shake.. Move it over and your golden..

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,253 Posts
How much above the crossbar does the top of the dash panel go...1/2"? I want to cut the holes for the gauges, but I don't want to mount any too high where they hit that bar.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,717 Posts
I have a similar problem except mine is the Speedo. The backing bar cor the speedo is not letting the dash go to the top of the crossbar.

Ben

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,253 Posts
Hey Ben,
That's what I am trying to avoid...does anyone know how much room needs to be left across the top. I hate to mount the body just to measure this...

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,717 Posts
I'm figuring it should be alright. I have only about an 1/8" short. The body lip should cover that. If not then a new dash is in order.

Ben

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I left 1.25" from the top of the dash to allow for the 3/4" hoop plus a little bit in case the body doesn't cover the edge. I looked at 2 other cars and decided that 1.25" was about right.

Happy motoring

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Oldguy is right on.. I was at this point last night and measured 1.5" with the smiths... My thoughts are the safer the better and to leave just 3/4 for the bar itself was not enuff wiggle room.. double it up and your safe!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,717 Posts
Well I guess FFR will be getting an order for another blank dash.

Ben

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't give up yet...if you have an aluminum dash, and the body doesn't cover the edge, just run the dash upholstery up past the top edge of the panel and fold it back behind to stiffen it...who'll know?

·
Super Moderator
29,604 Posts
Hey Ben-

I had the same thing with my Autometer 5" Speedo. The mounting bracket hit the dash hoop. My fix was to notch the hoop to get it to fit. Now it fits perfectly.

Keith

1 - 20 of 21 Posts