Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have determined my rearend is not a posi, it is open. Does anyone out there have experience driving a cobra with an open rear end and is it a big problem? Should I change my third member? I am planning street use only.

Thanks,
Corey

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
It all depends on what you want out of it. For strictly street use I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you want to jump on it from a standing start, you will most likely sit there frying one tire without posi.

On the other hand, generally speaking, I believe you are less likely to lose control with an open rearend on normal street driving, autocross, road racing, slick roads, etc.

Once a posi rear breaks loose in a turn under power in a car like this, it's kind of like trying to drive on ice.

This is just my opinion.

Steve

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
It's not a problem Corey..

The Cobra is light enough where if you really hammered the throttle, it would probably spin both rears anyway just from the internal forces against the side gears in the differential.

If you were to want to race it you may want to look into an Auburn or Torson differential..

·
Senior Charter Member
610 Posts
Cobras were not meant to leave one black line behind them and traction will be severely impacted in a straight line. Change it Corey, you'll be glad you did.

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
IMO, it will be a problem. Traction is very limited in these cars. An open diff is a serious detriment to traction. If you don't change it out now, you will later.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,397 Posts
it's gonna happen...you're driving a Cobra!

someone is going to ask you to light the tires...and your're going to want to...but you'll only be able to light one of them without a posi rear end.

change it now , it'll be harder to do later.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a traction loc and the passenger tire will allways spin more even with the locker as the drivers side has more weight on it. I would reccomend the trac lock or after market lsd.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts