Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the Mk3.1 hood scoop i have always thought to make it look like a bolt on, i am closer to getting back on my build again, been driving alllll summmmmer.
so i was going to make some fiberglass strips around my scoop and make them appear to be a bolt-on scoop.
then i thought, a friend has a Mk-4 he is building just down the road.
called up MPTech and asked if he would let me borrow his scoop, well we met up at a SAturday night car show near by, Mark brought it with him and low and behold it sets right over my hood scoop, a bit of build up from underneath around the opening and damn it will work by just leaving my old scoop in place and now another purchase of a part:evil:.
hooty hoot
thanks Mark, another job well done by some great minds.:evil:

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Yep, I think that's a pretty cool idea Leo and it looks like it was made to fit on there. Blending the front edge looks like minimal work.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Leo, if you stop by tonight, you can pick up the scoop for a closer inspection and some pictures. I think you were wearing your beer goggles Saturday night :001_tongue: besides, I just restocked the fridge.:001_rolleyes:

btw, did you stop by Sunday afternoon? I saw you driving up Union, but I was in the van, so you didn't recognize me.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Leo, if you stop by tonight, you can pick up the scoop for a closer inspection and some pictures. I think you were wearing your beer goggles Saturday night :001_tongue: besides, I just restocked the fridge.:001_rolleyes:

btw, did you stop by Sunday afternoon? I saw you driving up Union, but I was in the van, so you didn't recognize me.
yep i buzzed by, i was hoping your garage door was open and i would steal your beer and scoop.
by the way whats with the oil leak on your drive is that from under that chebby van.:w00t:

and as far as getting picture of it, i can't seem to load any pictures from my computer on this site its been that way for about 8 months.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I’m doing the same thing on my MK3. I never thought about putting the new scoop over the old one. I think I’m still going to cut the old one off just to make sure the bolt on is just where it’s supposed to be.
By the way, the oil in my drive is from my Chebby Truck :001_tongue:……… coincidence, maybe not. :whistling:

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
time to order a scoop

i already have the underside of the scoop all smooth and primed

i think cutting it now for the bolt-on will also make more work rolling the edge all the way around on the cut out plus make it weaker.

my scoop is pretty straight on my hood i aligned it prior to fitting it. and the scoop going over the older one there is play, i will test it with some clay for how far away it is. i can set it in some urethene or epoxy once it is all tweeked.
my buttonhead mach. screws i have saved from a city jail job years ago, they are a security hex. the machine screws wouldn't even have to drill all the way thru and bolt they could just be sealed on from the top with a small pilot hole to hold them in place.
plan to adapt a scoop screen too but weld up an stainless insert and install from underneath. and use some stainless weld rod to make the screen.

i also noticed one thing while typing Mk4 if you forget it could be Mk$:evil:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.